Author Topic: Formal Introduction  (Read 4068 times)

GrainTrain

Formal Introduction
« on: November 12, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »
     Everyone around here seems to be pretty tight-knit, so I feel that I should formally introduce myself to the community. After all, they say "your first impression is the last impression" (although I don't particularly believe that).

Anyways, my name is Scott, I live in Alberta Canada and I have recently begun to transition away from digital as much as possible. For about the last year, I have been mainly shooting 35mm and more recently I got my hands on a Flexaret VII to shoot 120. I find medium format to be fairly difficult in terms of framing my shots in a square, I feel as if my shots are either too cluttered or have too much empty space, but working these things out is half of the fun of the learning process. I haven't yet begun doing any developing myself for a couple of reasons (including lack of space and lack of time as a moderately busy student) but it is something that greatly interests me and is one of the main motivations I had when first starting to shoot film. I like the idea of the entire process being in my hands, in a way it would provide me with a more intimate experience with my photos (not to mention how satisfying it would be).

If you haven't noticed, I tend to ramble on quite a bit. I don't have much of a filter when it comes to putting my thoughts into words, I just kind of let it all flow onto the page. In any case, I look forward to being a part of what seems like a wonderful community. If you have any questions for and/or about me, feel free to ask!

Thanks for reading!

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Re: Formal Introduction
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
I welcome a fellow canuck, although I am one of those Easterners that you guys love to hate  ;) In my defense my family seems to bounce back and forth between ontario and alberta and I think I missed this generation's 'bounce' as both my brothers are in the west.

So welcome aboard. I hope you try processing your own BW negs soon (although that requires you to get access to a scanner with film capability).
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

GrainTrain

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »
I welcome a fellow canuck, although I am one of those Easterners that you guys love to hate  ;) In my defense my family seems to bounce back and forth between ontario and alberta and I think I missed this generation's 'bounce' as both my brothers are in the west.

So welcome aboard. I hope you try processing your own BW negs soon (although that requires you to get access to a scanner with film capability).

I have family over in Brampton, I actually quite like you Eastern dwellers  ;D some of the nicest people I was graced with the opportunity to meet are over there!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been looking into picking up a scanner for a while now, it's just a matter of researching my options at this point. If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on getting started with developing would be fantastic as well.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
Welcome indeed. Look forward to seeing some of your stuff.

Tight knit? Maybe - but the one thing I've found since joining this merry band is that everyone is very welcoming and happy to help.  It's a great community and I hope you'll really enjoy the time you spend on the forum.  Don't forget to check out all the other stuff, collaborations, podcasts, etc....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:32:52 PM »
We have a lot of Epson V700 fans here (it was recently upgraded to the V800). It is a bit pricy (I freeload off my work which has one) and some people enjoy the V500 series stuff as well which is a lot more affordable.

I am sure there are other suggestions folks will make. tkmedia (and a few others) have an amazing Pakon scanner but it is a bit more elaborate to use and can only scan 35mm film. He has a quite interesting thread about that scanner on this forum.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
yay canada  8)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »
Greetings and salutations!

And that's as formal as I'll get. I live in that annoying neighbor to your south, though also in the East. Don't hold it against me ;)

Looking forward to seeing some shots. We have a weekend thread each week where we all post a shot or two - most of it recent, but sometimes it's an older shot or something taken a while ago but only recently developed or edited. And the next weekend thread is coming up on Friiiiiidaaaaaaaay (hint hint... ;) )

Anyway, welcome!
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
We have a lot of Epson V700 fans here (it was recently upgraded to the V800). It is a bit pricy (I freeload off my work which has one) and some people enjoy the V500 series stuff as well which is a lot more affordable.

I am sure there are other suggestions folks will make. tkmedia (and a few others) have an amazing Pakon scanner but it is a bit more elaborate to use and can only scan 35mm film. He has a quite interesting thread about that scanner on this forum.

I use a Canon CanoScan 8800 and have had no complaints. A newer version is available, the 9000.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

GrainTrain

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »
Thanks for all of the scanner suggestions, I appreciate it.

As for the weekend thread, you can expect to see me there!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »
We are tight knit only in that we all seem to get along well, but not in the 'exclusive' sense of the word. I am what I would call a 'recent' member, that is just a year or so with the forum, but was made very welcome very quickly. If you participate regularly, you will find it one of the most supportive and friendly forums on the web. If you enjoy a flame war now and then, you will be disappointed. Just try and start one. I dare you. The most you will get is some Scott saying something like, "Mony a mickle maks a muckle." :)

Greetings and welcome!

James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »
Welcome Scott your lucky there a quite a few Canadians on here I'm not one of them but we share the same Queen can't wait to see some of your stuff, I use the Epson V500 and have had some very good large prints  done for me but wet print now and just scan for the internet

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »
Glad to have you with us. Alberta can be very beautiful. Only been there once, for two weeks in the winter - skiing. But one of my favourite landscape photographers lives in Calgary, a guy called Jim Kitchen. He shoots 8x10 and makes the most of those big skies you get over there. Fabulous stuff: http://www.jimkitchen.ca/HTMLPages/FramesForEarthGallery/earthGalleryPortfolioFrame_1.html
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »
Hi Scott!
Welcome from the ever strange province of Quebec :)

Well, yes, I do ramble on quite a bit too.
You might get the feeling that we're tight knit but it's mostly because many of us have been around here for so long. We get to know each other really fast.
I like to think we're just one big family in a way.

As for the scanner, I still have a vintage Epson 4490. I was tempted by Canon's offer but I didn't like that they keep their gear's Maximum Density a secret.
I also have a super cheap instant scanner like they sell at Staples and The Source. I wouldn't have bought one if it weren't that I found mine for 5$ at a charity shop. It's definitely worth the price I paid for it... but it's not worth the price they ask for it in the stores.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »
So are you one of those Canadian cowboys?

sgt.brimer

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 11:10:57 PM »
Welcome, I am new here myself, but received a very warm welcome and wanted to pass it on to you.

GrainTrain

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 12:34:55 AM »
I guess I should correct myself. When I said tight knit I meant it more along the lines of friendly and well acquainted, rather than in the sense of exclusivity.

So are you one of those Canadian cowboys?

I live about 3 hours away from all of those Canadian cowboys  ;)

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:31 AM »
Nice to welcome another Canadian to the forum!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 02:30:15 AM »
The true north strong and free contingent just got a little bigger. Welcome aboard!

Terry

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 02:59:40 AM »
Welcome aboard; make yourself at home!

mono

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Scott!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
I've already said welcome. but such an introduction deserves another; welcome, graintrain! :)
/jonas

szabolcs.agai

• 35mm
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
For the scanner topic, I am suggesting to adopt my artisan tool for roll size film :)
Cost more or less none and beats any scanner in term of speed too :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 06:18:54 PM »
I must say that this definitely works. I've built something similar in the past and had no trouble with it.
The secret is in the exposure and white balance.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
I showed that setup for a friend and he mentioned that a flash has a finite amount of charges it can take.
dunno how many they are but I'veheard that people working with time lapse videos from still shots can get problems with their flash (and shutter on camera) going bust
/jonas

szabolcs.agai

• 35mm
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
Cameras also take finite amount of  pictures ... :)
The thing I have done is a manual setup for the flash, that limits the wear of the flash itself.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:20:40 PM by szabolcs.agai »

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
Welcome!

You live in a beautiful area for photography.  When you're more comfortable with that camera maybe you could share a snap or two.  I've never heard of your camera so let us know how you like it!

GrainTrain

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »
I definitely like what szabolcs.agai has going on there, it seems like a great substitute until I pull the trigger on a scanner.

Thank you for the welcome Jeff! The Flexaret VII is a Czech TLR that was made sometime between 1940 and 1970. I will definitely post some of my pictures once I get better acquainted with composing in a square format. 

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum, as has been said it's a great place!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »
I definitely like what szabolcs.agai has going on there, it seems like a great substitute until I pull the trigger on a scanner.

Thank you for the welcome Jeff! The Flexaret VII is a Czech TLR that was made sometime between 1940 and 1970. I will definitely post some of my pictures once I get better acquainted with composing in a square format.
I had a Vb, the last black one. Yours is grey I presume. But for all practical purposes they are the same camera. Very nice TLR, can do some fine things with it cetainly.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 10:36:45 AM »
Welcome   :D
verianthomas.com