Author Topic: Cameras _What format do you use?  (Read 10730 times)

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
Cameras _What format do you use?
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
It was fascinating reading what size you all print at so I thought I'd follow it up with a question about film size.

Ive been using medium format in toy cameras for about 4 years now but I've just bought a quarter plate camera on Ebay that I'm excited to start using. I also need to find neg holders for a 9x12cm camera my dad dug out his loft for me. Looks like my neg sizes are just getting bigger and bigger...

How about you?

Janet

Tammy

• momentsofmine
Re: Cameras _What format do you use?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:58:41 AM »
Hi Janet P.  Well, since I started that size thing, I can say it was a bit related to format as well.  Since, as I go bigger in negative, I'm tempted to go bigger in printing.  Even though I've seen wonderful 5x7 prints from a 4x5 negative.  :)

I have a lot of formats, from 35mm up to 8x10.  I mostly contact print the 4x5 and 8x10 (and I only have a few vintage lenses to play with).  I could enlarge 4x5 but I don't have an enlarger lens just yet.  I did get curious and had the lab make a very large print for me from one of the 4x5 negatives!  It cost me a fortune, but at least I could see what the negs were capable of one time, that way I could change my shooting or processing accordingly for when I want really big.

Lately, I've found that I am using medium format cameras (vintage and toy and otherwise) nearly exclusively, with a bit of 4x5 thrown in for fun.  I don't do anything seriously, and so it's all a learning thing for me. 

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:24:36 PM »
Out of interest, Tammy, what kind of enlarger lens would you need to print your 5x4 and 10x8s? I'm hoping to do this myself in the future.

HolgaJen

• My Flickr Album
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 04:33:45 PM »
Hi Janet!  I mainly use medium format right now (love it), but am going to give some 127mm and also polaroids a try in the next couple of weeks so we shall see how that goes!

Rogerrr

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:39:28 PM »
I use 35mm and 6x6...and a FEW times I use 4x5...

but in my homemade cameras the formats vary wildly  about 6x9cm is one basic size for one of my favorite homemade cameras

my panoramic cameras can shoot a whole roll at a time...so that can get crazy

and if I shoot paper instead of film...it's probably 8x10 or 11x14 paper

(Pssst try RA-4 color paper cross-processed as a  positive...fun trick )

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »
Janet, I can't enlarge from 8x10 because my enlarger chasis is too short, and it's not really made for that size neg.  But for 4x5 I am looking for a 150mm.  135mm would work, but a bit bigger gives more center coverage (where it's supposedly sharper resolution).  I have an old Wollensak Raptor something, but it's UGLY, and I haven't even tried it. haha.  I don't care what kind of crappy lens I shoot with, but I hate to have the same crap on the enlarger end.  It just complicates things.  Did that sound right?

::)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 10:56:25 PM »
After years and years of being a strictly 35mm kind of guy, I've been medium format with a vengence for the past year since discovering the joys of toys. Of course, there are all my Dianas and clones  -- with 4x4. As a matter of fact, three just got added this afternoon when the post came --- astrobeck's right. I think some of us need to join a toycam anon program... ;-). Then there are the three Holgas, the two Great Walls, a Pentacon Six TL, two Pouva Starts, a Lubitel I had tricked up with a zone plate and the Rolleiflex MT -- all 6x6 -- followed by a smattering of some vintage 6x9 cameras.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 03:32:17 AM »
I'm basically on the same boat as you, Bill. Just got some efke 127 and I'll see what the Reflex and Baby Brownie can do for me. Found this really odd 35mm Winner WX-500 job with this funny looking lens on it...we shall see. And lastly, a Yashica Mat 124 that I have yet to load and will probably just hang my clothes on...not. My poor toys...they haven't seen the light of day in quite a while...that's going to change real fast.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

derevaun

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:03:57 AM »
I've been shrinking. I shoot a lot of 110 in my beloved Pentax 110 SLRs, and I have an exposed roll of Minox film in a Yashica Atoron waiting to be developed. And I love the way 127 cameras are so retro miniature. Lots of days I have the Empire Baby in one pocket and a Pentax 110 in the other--it totally beats lugging the Holga & Spotmatic around.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 05:25:41 AM »
That 110 is funny stuff when scanning...I didn't know you had to reverse/invert them when finished....but they sure do stretch nice when melting them. Tiny critters those negatives are...

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 02:23:50 PM »
i mainly shoot medium format. of course i'm mainly shooting with a holga or diana. i have started to use some 35m, but mainly for pinhole work.  when people ask me about 35mm film - specifically about favourite films i usually can't tell them. because most of the time when i go into a camera shop i look at the 120 film and ignore the 35.

william in taipei.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 11:25:01 AM »
my beloved Pentax 110 SLRs

I've been looking at these as well. Fascinated by the concept. The boxed set 110 series-2 looks nice! Feel free to post any reference to your Pentax 110 work here in a dedicated thread...

As for the question, for stuff that counts I am mainly Fujipet 120 and Polaroid peel-apart. Though I do use 135 in my Bessa, and some (cough) digital for commissioned work.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 11:29:12 AM by Skorj »

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »

I've been looking at these as well.

I think I can help you with that one....
I'll chat with you about it.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 05:32:25 PM »
I've eyeballed a Pentax 645N outfit with a 120 back, here and there and just gave a sigh over prices...even for the body alone, you have to pretty much break the bank. Really nice cameras those are...even the Bronica, Tammy uses, would be a dream to own. Someday...

In fact, I was bidding on a Bronica SQA on Ebay which started out at $11 and now in its final hours, is at $305. Ah well...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:35:30 PM by beck »

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 08:37:32 PM »
Yeah, becky, the Bronica is a sweet set up.  Leon uses one too.  But, the YashicaMat is nothing to scoff at, or a Mamiya C330 for medium format.  As TLR's, the ability to handhold to lower shutter speeds is greater (in my opinion) than for the bigger Bronica (with all it's mirrors, and stuff slapping around).  I still like to use the TLR with waistlevel finder.

Before I got a second back, I used both the Bronica and Mamiya for a shoot (color in the Mamiya).  And I actually think I got better shots with the Mamiya.  Plus you can have different lenses for the Mamiya C330 (and the Yashica Mat).  These cameras are going for next to nothing on evilbay. 

The ONLY reason I got the Bronica was so I could have different film loaded up in the backs ready to go (one color and one bw).  And, I'm a camera hog.  But, I'm trying to go into rehabilitation for that. ::)

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 01:02:05 AM »
Tammy, the only time you'll see me scoffing is Sunday mornings...you know. Well, there's two hours left and it's still at $305...bah, as much as my finger is inching its way to bid...I won't and will just save my loot for something else...maybe a nice portrait lens and a digital light meter to go along with the Yash. I'll give you $600 cash in hand straight away for your Broni.  ;D

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »
I'm jsut a square kind of a guy, 6 x 6 is my favourite really.  BUT, that said, I'd LOVE to get an 8 x 10 pinhole for some contact printing ... mybe even go for some Plat Palad stuff now Carl has got my interest going after giving me some great prints of his.
L.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 08:45:05 PM »
I'm jsut a square kind of a guy, 6 x 6 is my favourite really.  BUT, that said, I'd LOVE to get an 8 x 10 pinhole for some contact printing ... mybe even go for some Plat Palad stuff now Carl has got my interest going after giving me some great prints of his.

Now have the 10x8 pinhole and will be making some images in the next couple of weeks - I'll bring it down on the next trip, but you're always welcome and a quick pointer - as much as I know anyway - on plt/pd printing!?

Hasselblad on ebay as I write sticking to 5x4 and various pinhole formats, looking for 5x7 as my final destination but might go as far as 10x8! Too many formats, cameras, films confuses just as much as jumping between film, paper developer combinations - unless you are truely gifted and I am not in that category:)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:57:10 PM »
6x6 is best tho the landscape oop here is more 6x9 or even 5x20 friendly.

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 04:39:29 AM »
astrobeck's right. I think some of us need to join a toycam anon program... ;-).

PLEASE! Sign me up.

But to the question at hand -- I'm also a convert from 35mm (and a returnee from digital), though I have a pile of 35mm cameras.  I shoot 6X6, anything from Brownie Hawkeye (my favorite) to Holga to Rolleiflex to Hasselblad to lots of vintage gear; 4X4, Diana and Agfa Isoly, 6X7, Mamiya 7; a few 6X9 folders I need to goof around with some more; 127 toys and Brownies; and a 4X5 Super Graphic that is begging to go for a walk.

The "problem" for me is that people are virtually giving away film gear.  I never thought I would own a Hasselblad, as much as I wanted one.  The prices are so low these days that a 501CM was impossible to resist.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 09:23:59 AM »
Agree, its a nightmare. That's why I moved to an island on the ddfar north of uk. Thought I could get away from that. The first month here I was given a Durst enlarger, the second month a Nova slot developer thing, the third a 30m roll of Kodak PolyPrint :-)
I hide now.

Gosh, we have snow on them there hills today! Coming from Greenland I'm told.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:27:55 AM by Andrea »

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 10:06:45 AM »
It is becoming a bit of a problem.  This week a chap at work dumped some old junk on my desk - a kodak six-20 box, a ful-vue, an Agfa Selecta 35mm, a Lubitel 2, a Praktica SLR and a Pentax Spotmatic with 135 and a pentax 1.4/50 lenses.

The 1.4/50 had a bit of fungus so I told him to p*** off and stick his old junk in landfill like everyone else.  ;)

It certainly made going to work worthwhile!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
Al, it's a shame the 50mm f1.4 had fungus on it because it's what I think it is it's pretty much the best SMC Pentax K-mount lens ever made and actually goes for a decent price still. Excellent quality. I use mine all the time on my Pentaxes.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=32&cat=26

Janet, I haven't answered your initial question because you already know what I fool about with format-wise.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
I've been mostly using 120, 4x4 format in my Dianas -- Velvia 50 mostly.

Also use 35mm in my Vivitar UW&S, my Bessa-L w/ Heliar 15mm, and my Pentax ME-F -- which I've mostly used lately as a means to capure ttv images from my Argoflex and Anscoflex TLR viewfinders.  Provia 100 pushed a stop for the UW&S, otherwise Velvia 100.

I  decided I really want to get back into black & white and have used that as an excuse to pick up an old Leica M2 and a new vc 28mm/f2 Ultron for it.  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »
I think some of us need to join a toycam anon program... ;-)
I'm actually pretty proud of myself this morning. After following the 10 step program (well, actually just one step), I've been able to walk pass a Polaroid Colorpack80, a SpiceCam, a SX-70 Pronto, a few plastic toy camera and an in the box Yashica zoom point and shoot. The ladies were ready to drop prices like crazy at the church. But  I managed to tell myself that I still have too many cameras. Too much clutter.

As for formats, I've always been a 35mm guy. I love the square formats and have 2 Yashicas but still shoot 99% 35mm. Cost and convenience has a big role to play in this.

Gosh, we have snow on them there hills today! Coming from Greenland I'm told.
Luckily, we still have no snow in Southern Canada. But it's damp and cold this morning.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

nicnichols

• nicnichols.com
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »
Toy:
Holga 120n, Holga 135, Vivitar UWS, Blackbird Fly, Diana, Holga giant pano camera...

Not toy:
Mamiya 6mf (best non-toy ever) and Yashika 124g TLR...

Sometimes bust out one of the Speed Graphics too...

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »
Al, it's a shame the 50mm f1.4 had fungus on it because it's what I think it is it's pretty much the best SMC Pentax K-mount lens ever made and actually goes for a decent price still.
Yeah, I know. My eyes lit up when I saw the 1.4 (I've got a SMC f1.7 s for my me super and recently picked up another auto version for my*ist digital so I was a bit sad when I saw the extent of the fungus/yellowing.  This one's actually the old M42 mount not PK but as a praktica nut that's fine with me.  I'll give it a try anyway, fingers crossed.

Back to the format thread I think I'm about 50/50 35mm/120.  Of the 120 about half that is diana 4x4, the rest various 6x6, although looking at 6x9 velvia has made me long to try larger formats!  I also have a huge roll of 6" colour paper which has been here since the start of the year awaiting use in a colour paper pinhole project that I haven't had time to start.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:07:32 PM by al »

Yaniv Waissa

• My photographic journey
    • http://www.waissa.com
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »
During the last 4 years I've using all kind of toy camera- lomo (35 m"m) ,  Holga (120) and polaroid cameras. Right now I'm dedicated to my Shen Hao (4X5) using Astia 100 slides and mostly Delta 100 or TX 320 but i'm thinkng to try new materials like Wephota, Efke and more... Anyone could suggest?
The Storm Still Rages Inside

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
It's 80/20 for me. 80% 35mm. Leica IIIF, M2. Voigtlander Vito B. For 120mm, Rollei and Holga.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 07:05:15 PM »
Och mostly 35mm but a doo re occasional 6x6 an 6x9 an 4x4 an dinnae talk aboot cameras cos av got dem cumin oot ma eers   :)

P.S.  A doo admit tae havin wun o' dem d-----l cameras tae, but dinnae tell onywun   :-X
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »
predominantly 4cm x 4cm, 6cm x 6cm, but also 6x7cm, 4"x5" and various polaroid films (665, 664, 545) as well.

Diana 151, Bronica, Yashica mat, Holga, Mamiya Universal Press, Custom made Polaroid Land with copal lens, Speed Graphics, Zero Image 69.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 08:37:21 AM by gregor »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »
I went out with two 6x6 cameras this afternoon, both with Tessar lenses.  Clouded over and didn't shoot anything.  Well, it's not as though I'm  actually going to waste the stuff, innit.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »
Actually, I like it when its cloudy :-) Just as well living up here!
Having said that, the sun has been out these last two days- hardly shot a thing :-(

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »
There's clouds, and there's clouds.  I like 'em per se, just not when everything goes dark.   8)

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »
Och Sandeha, a luv yer cement mixer truck avatar !!
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »
I was always a 35mm kind of guy but since I bout a Holga about 3 years ago I haven't shot a frame of 35mm, well I have shot a frame or two but they sit in the various cameras.

I just love the square format, the only thing that pulls me away is a little Polaroid peel apart goodness. So basically I shoot, in no particular order:

Hasselblad swc, Hasselblad 500cm, Hasselblad FlexBody, Holga, Diana and Diana+....and a few odd pinholes that are peel apart Polaroid.