Author Topic: Washi paper film processing - help requested  (Read 2029 times)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Washi paper film processing - help requested
« on: July 06, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »

I shot a role a Washi ortho film (which is on Japanese paper) over the weekend. Without a working darkroom (yet), I wondered if somebody would like to process it for me? I'd be very happy to send a few rolls of (unexposed) film as a thank you to anyone who would like to see what it's like to develop. See www.lomig.fr for dev instructions. I'm UK based, but happy to post the film anywhere to find a kind darkroom.

Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
Re: Washi paper film processing - help requested
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »
Have you tried the Ilford community dark room scheme?

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
I bought a couple of rolls of this last year and tray developed it in Ilford PQ Universal. It curls like mad. I did put together a bit of an article on it but did nothing further. It's an experience!
If you don't get a better offer I'd be happy to help.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:14:40 PM »
Hi Harvey

That's very kind thank you. I've just sent you a PM
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:15:14 AM »
I'm a curious onlooker on this.....    8)
Please post results!

Becky

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »
I'm a curious onlooker on this.....    8)
Please post results!

Becky

+1
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:14:59 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

kitschretro

• 35mm
  • Collector of camera films. Also buy and sell them.
    • Kitschretro
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:19 PM »
Anyone tried the 120 version?
Collector of camera films. Also buy and sell them.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:54 PM »
Anyone tried the 120 version?

Yes, I've used it a few times on the basis that I/it must get better but I have to say I'm not a fan. It can be a pig to develop due to severe curling when it dries and it's only when it's dry that you notice issues with the surface. That said there are some nice images out there taken with it.

kitschretro

• 35mm
  • Collector of camera films. Also buy and sell them.
    • Kitschretro
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
is it really thin film? bit scared i might break it as it looks like rice paper.
Collector of camera films. Also buy and sell them.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »
It's not film but Japanese washi paper.

This paper is by nature very resistant. It's made from mulberry fibers. But what gives it its strength is mostly because it's hand made. Machine made papers tend to align the fibers in the same direction because of the rotating drums that they use. This makes them of inconsistent resistance when pulled from different angles. It also makes the fibers shorter which affect resistance substantially and makes it more susceptible to cockling (the scientific term for becoming all bumpy and out of shape when damp).
On the other hand washi paper is hand made. This gives it nice long fibers in a totally random pattern that resist humidity better and gives it greater overall resistance. The mulberry fibers also help a lot since they are fairly long.

Washi paper is traditionally used in a multitude of ways. Kitemaking is one that comes to mind.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:30:39 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 09:41:55 PM »
It's the coating that's delicate. I've yet to see a developed roll without significant areas where the emulsion has lifted leaving blank areas and I'm very conscious about developing. The texture of the paper is very prominent and suits some subjects better than others. Combine that with the cockling (thanks Francois, good word) which is still visible when dry and you've got something unique!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 10:47:16 PM »
Come to think of it, that word should pay pretty good on Scrabble  ;D

17 points... not bad  ;)
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
Well - the results are back. And I'm surprised. Given that I'm the bloke that took the photos, even I have difficulty making out what is represented here. Harvey very kindly came to my rescue and developed the film for me (as my darkroom is currently a light room).

All images were landscapes on a Holga in constantly changing light (read English 'summer' clouds darting across the sun). I can make out the odd tree, but that's it. My fault for under exposing. But... I think that there is something about the quality of the image which I like. So, next steps: sort the darkroom and expose another roll. And rather than taking essentially 'empty' landscapes with the an odd tree for interest, I'm going to try and fill the frame with high-contrast tones & shapes.

So, my first roll was a disaster, but I intend to try again. I think that the unpredictability would lend itself to figurative work, with either a white model on a dark background or a black model on a light one. Throw some shapes and see what happens. But first - the darkroom needs to be sorted.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
Since the background is so present on this paper film, I would tend to use it to shoot some fairly high contrast images and avoid things with subtle details.
Francois

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 08:34:59 PM »
I think the mistake I made was trying to find a subject that suited the texture of the film such as trees and old metal sheds etc. but you still need a bit of detail for it to work properly. I like the argument for going graphic.