Author Topic: Website Hosting Plans  (Read 1514 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Website Hosting Plans
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
I forgot to renew my subscription for my website host and so am currently sans website.

This is a good opportunity for me to take stock and think about what sort of website I should have going forwards.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to decent website hosts or alternatives to a website (other than blogs which I already have).

I'd be interested to know.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Re: Website Hosting Plans
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
I use SiteGround as my host and they have been excellent so far, customer service in particular has been first class.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:43:12 PM »
I use Bluehost because they offer unlimited storage, unlimited data transfer, and unlimited domain name hosting. It sounds too good to be true, but I've pushed the limits of it, even using it as a file server, which is technically in the grey zone of their policy, but nobody has batted an eye. Also, I happen to like their CPanel layout.

For some third party plugins, they use a service called "Mojo Marketplace" which looks a bit amateurish to me (just their design, logo, and marketing slant), but I've had zero problems at all.

Oh, my plan costs $11/month (!), and I just noticed they seem to have lowered their price on that plan to $10/month (!!), so I'm going to contact sales and get my $12 off for this year :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 06:49:55 PM »
I use 1&1. I don't have any complaints, but I don't really do anything with my domains anymore other than get email. I find free Flickr and free Blogger to meet most of my needs.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
Or if you have an unlimited access deal with your ISP, you can always (that is if they allow it) get a Raspberry Pi board and run your own server from home. Though you really need to know what you're doing if you plan on going this route...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »
Or if you have an unlimited access deal with your ISP, you can always (that is if they allow it) get a Raspberry Pi board and run your own server from home. Though you really need to know what you're doing if you plan on going this route...

That violates the TOS for most ISPs. Generally you need a business plan in order to host a website. Personal internet lines don't qualify. That being said, I did host my own site on a home server for a few months just as a personal proof of concept :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
I must admit that if they see the entire internet flow to your house, they're going to ask themselves some serious questions!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:57:39 PM »
I use Bluehost Host Papa because they offer unlimited storage, unlimited data transfer, and unlimited domain name hosting. It sounds too good to be true, but I've pushed the limits of it, even using it as a file server, which is technically in the grey zone of their policy, but nobody has batted an eye. Also, I happen to like their CPanel layout.

Everything Indofunk said but different host. And I'm still using them as a file server.

Last time I paid it was about £85 for three years.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »
I've been using Cargo Collective for quite sometime and I'm pretty happy. Dead easy to manage your photos...
www.cargocollective.com
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com