Author Topic: Washi Film  (Read 9585 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Washi Film
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
For those who are still whining about Lomography's lack of transparency, here is something completely original.
It's a new handmade product which I don't quite know how to call. I could say it's a new photographic paper and I wouldn't be entirely wrong... except that it comes only in sizes too small to make prints. I could call it a film since it goes in a camera... but then it doesn't contain either acetate or polyester. I could say it contains cellulose but then it's not entirely transparent... quite a conundrum.

So I guess just describing it would be simplest. It's Japanese washi paper that is cut either to 4x5 or 120 rolls (assembled with backing paper). It gets a coating of an orthochromatic emulsion. The stuff is processed in paper developer under safelights and has a very low sensitivity. When processed in a bromide paper developer, it can reach an ISO of 25 in sunlight... but only 6 ISO when processed in PQ Universal.

For those who want to check out this artisan production, here's the jump http://lomig.fr/index-en.html

I should add that it's pretty expensive at 12 Euros a roll...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: Washi Film
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
Thanks for this Francois - I'm going to give it a go.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »
OK Gang. The website says that production is limited to 30 rolls of 120 & 6 packs of 5x4 film per month! I've just bought 10% of the 120 production run for July & a sixth of the month's 54 film, so buy it while you can!
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:16:58 AM »
Wow! Now that is a cool product.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:36:55 AM »
Thanks for sharing, looks super interesting!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »
You're all welcome!

I think this is one of those small producers who deserves some regular support. Not a big hoarding boom at first and nothing after. Just some regular support. That way, this strange product will stay available for a long time.
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »
I agree - after I've processed my first roll with satisfactory results (I'm as close to a darkroom virgin makes no difference), I'll make a modest replacement order so I always have some in stock.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »
This is cool. I was looking at the site (after you brought it to our attention). I was left wondering what cameras I would put it through. Would folks put this through their good MF cameras or use it with cameras more like holgas? I would wonder about its thickness and roughness and what it would do to the pressure plate and the rest of the internals.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
An excellent point, McDuff. I was going to run it through the Blad, but now I'm going to try it first with my trusty, & snappily named, Houghton-Butcher Ensign Carbine Tropical Model. No fears of the Washi fouling the H-B EC(TM) pressure plate - it doesn't have one.

After I've banged the paper through the soup, I'll have a better idea of thickness, potential for debris falling off etc. If I like the Washi effect, but decide not to put it through the Blad - well, that will be a top reason to persuade Mrs Zapsnaps that I need another MF camera for this sole purpose. By buying another MF camera, I may well be saving the cost of an expensive Blad repair job.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
It's always wise to err on the safe side.
I did notice in his pictures that the ones that seem to be shot on 120 tend to show excessive texture (for my taste).
If I had to get some, I'd take it as an excuse to use my 4x5 just so I could get the larger negative.

Washi paper is very resistant. From memory, it's what was used instead of windows in the old Japanese homes. It's what Soji screens were made out of.

Thickness wise, it's probably a bit thicker than regular film.
I'd personally use the 120 film in a camera with manual film advance like my Yashica A. I fear that those with an automatic frme counter like the Mat would suffer more from the thick film.
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »
I thought washi film was what happened after developpi film, stoppi film and fixi film? No?

L.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 05:54:35 AM »
I thought washi film was what happened after developpi film, stoppi film and fixi film? No?

Washi, Developi, Stopi, Fixi, Blixi, and Doc.

Actually, I think Develope was the Greek muse of photography, no?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
very funny :)

I actually thought the same until I realized I was reading in French  ::)
Francois

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »

;D  The linguist in me loves this silliness.  ;D

In other news, I'd love to try some of this in my pinhole camera I made. I designed it around 4x5 Harmon direct positive paper, so this could be interesting...
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
the facebook group for this is pretty active: https://www.facebook.com/groups/66983473304709

latest update says that the coating and paper curve has both been improved and 8x10 sheets are on the horizon :)
/jonas

thil

• 35mm PHOTO bureau
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
Few of weeks back, in Barcelona I saw this exhibition called "TRANSFERRED MEMORIES" by TORU MORIMOTO (http://www.akashigallery.com/gallery.html). All prints are on Washi paper - first time I'd seen or heard of this. The place is really worth checking out if you are in BCN. It was part of the DOCfield>14 Photo Festival (http://docfieldbarcelona.org) which had some brilliant work.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:05 PM »
A few years ago I tried cyanotype on washi paper. Seems to work well.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
Washi paper is fantastic. It even soaks inkjet ink for a definitely unique look.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 04:17:43 PM »
Resurrecting this post because the topic has come up on another thread. For people who like the paper texture in their photos, why not use ortho film and then print with an alt process like salted paper or cyanotype or (heaven forbid) gum bichromate? This gives you a LOT of control over the underlying texture.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
have anyone tried any of those 35mm films that he's selling?
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
From what I've seen, the amount of fiber that's visible on the enlarged image really doesn't help to make a nice image.
The nicest results appear to be from medium format and large format since the fiber gets enlarged a lot less.
Francois

soeren

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 04:12:26 PM »
Resurrecting this post because the topic has come up on another thread. For people who like the paper texture in their photos, why not use ortho film and then print with an alt process like salted paper or cyanotype or (heaven forbid) gum bichromate? This gives you a LOT of control over the underlying texture.
Thanks Jharr. I wasn't aware of this thread or even washi film untill a couple of days ago when I stumpled upon it on the fotoimpex webpage

https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/

Seems like a fun film/paper to try out if economy permits
Soeren
Naestved, Denmark

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
Seems like a fun film/paper to try out if economy permits

Agreed. I haven't seen anyone here on FW post any examples. Make sure you show us what you get if you end up giving it a try.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »
I have played with the 120 version quite a bit but failed to make anything pleasing. When there was talk of a magazine I started to put together a few pages to share, one with pictures attached to hopefully give you a feel for it.