Author Topic: website upgrade - testers needed  (Read 3572 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
website upgrade - testers needed
« on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »
hello everyone - i've just done my 2 yearly website overhaul.  can you take a little time to try it out and see if it all works with your operating system/ set-up.  let me know if you come across any mistakes or what-not,  It's my 1st time using Dreamweaver so there's bound to be a few mess-ups. General comments on design/ ease of use also welcome.

http://www.leontaylor-photo.co.uk

ta

Leon
L.

kuru

• camera addict
    • serpent factory
Re: website upgrade - testers needed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:57:37 PM »
Everything worked fine for me with Firefox on OSX. The navigation carrots in the gallery are a bit small to deal with.
Kevin Pointer
serpent factory

bobf

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »
Firefox 2.0.0.3 running on Vista worked fine - no "undocumented features" that I could find. 

Nice and clean.

Cheers, Bob.

Ron

• Alt Photos
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:35:42 AM »
Worked lovely on Internet Explorer, Win XP Professional.   Very clean site, not too much nor too little.  I second the tedious little navigation arrows, yet they look good and are self explanatory.  Wonderful work, but you probably already know that  ;)

Sam Thompson

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 03:38:23 AM »
Works fine! 
Windows XP Pro.  Firefox 2.0.0.4.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 04:55:10 AM »
WXP here too...and all looks good and polished up...though I still live in the dark ages and have dialup and images take 275 years to upload. Story of my life. Other than that, all linkage works, pictures are nice and look good with the white template. Only one thing, I'd prefer to see your things a little bit bigger for detail, etc. I think there's room enough on the page since you don't have all the bells and whistles for that change and we can all enjoy your work just a bit nicer.

Oddly, with your old blog, I could not for the life of me, make comments as the comment box would disappear on me. I would click the box and I see it for two seconds and poof, all gone.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »
I tried the site with the Opera browser (the fastest browser on the planet bar none) on WinXP and everything worked fine.

Only pet peeve is the next and previous arrows on the gallery page... boy are they small at 1024x768...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 03:51:57 PM »
my display is 1440 x 900 and they looked fine to me (with my face sqaushed against the screen!)

seriously, I;ve taken lots of points from here and elsewhere and had another crack.  same design, slightly different layout, 1 step larger fonts, hotspot navigation on the pictures plus word navigation instead of little arrows.

better?

http://www.leontaylor-photo.co.uk
L.

kuru

• camera addict
    • serpent factory
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 05:06:32 PM »
The new navigation is much nicer.
Kevin Pointer
serpent factory

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »
thanks Kevin.  Just been to your site for a look - like the orange shellac pics.  also, another Gaiman fan - nicely done .
L.

dave miller

• An English Eye
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 06:57:37 PM »
One minor point that no one else has mentioned is the need to scroll to view a screen. I find it annoying, and would prefer that it wasn?t necessary. It?s surprising how much clutter the average browser try?s to place on the screen. I appreciate f11 or similar will get rid of most of it, but that?s not always convenient. Other than that, it looks good.
regards
Dave

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 07:30:42 PM »
thanks dave - what screen resolution are you set at - I only have to scroll on the bio page, but that's cos I listed so much nonsense on it!
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Gallery navigation is much better (though less elegant)...

I came to think about something: if you deeply want to still use the <> signs, you could do something like the following:

<<<  Page 1  >>>

it would give the user more clicking surface (which is good) and still retain much of the same basic design as the original.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:31:50 PM »
Leon

Fine this side of the water, Microsoft explorer and XP machine.  Enjoyed the browse.

kuru

• camera addict
    • serpent factory
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
thanks Kevin.  Just been to your site for a look - like the orange shellac pics.  also, another Gaiman fan - nicely done .

Thanks, the shellac is fun to modify images. I'm still not done with parts of my site redesign, but it is slowly getting there. The links page is still quite empty.
Kevin Pointer
serpent factory

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 04:05:07 PM »
Leon, the only way I can best describe the size of your images, (I am secretly laughing) seeing them on my monitor, is by using a ruler and measuring sides. Retarded I know, I am that asinine in person, and they are 5 1/2 by 5 1/2, with white border. I'm no web geek so I have to put a sock in it and shaddup and admire.  :)
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

FrankB

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 08:20:20 AM »
Cool here - Firefox and XP Pro. Design is pleasant, professional and clean. All the images fit comfortably on my work PC screen, a little small but if you make them any bigger then Dave (and others like him (not that there are any others like Dave (we hope!))) will have even worse problems.

All links I tried check out forward and backwards and MS Narrator does a half decent job of navigating it so a proper screenreader should cope fine.

A few typos on the Teaching section of the Services page - there's a full stop in there with a space before it and you have "a current" in twice. The final line in that section also seems to start with a space, although that may be intentional...?

On the Bio page "His work and skill has" should that be "His work and skill have"?

Nice upgrade. Job well done (the pix aren't utterly awful either!  ;)  ;D )

All the best

Frank
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:26:29 AM by FrankB »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 08:32:24 AM »
On the Bio page "His work and skill has" should that be "His work and skill have"?

thanks frank -  my mum, a retired english teacher, checked through this last night and came up with a few recommendations for grammar and syntax corrections, but didnt get this one!

It's great being brung up by a inglish teacher thow, makes me speak an rite proper like i shuld ought to do so myself, innit.

cheers

L
L.

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 10:43:39 AM »
Leon,
just checked it with Safari on Mac OS X 10.4.9 and a screen resolution of 1280 x 854 and it looks great.
Very nice neat layout and easy on the eye as well as showcasing your work nicely.
As my brother might say "It's a beautiful thang"
 :)
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens