Author Topic: Washington DC...places to take a camera  (Read 1123 times)

astrobeck

Washington DC...places to take a camera
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:41:07 AM »
I'll be in DC for a few days soon and was wondering if anyone has ideas of places to photograph other than the usual iconic landmarks.   :)
 I'll be staying near the capitol and will be walking or taking mass transit.

thanks!  

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Washington DC...places to take a camera
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:36:07 AM »
i've been there a couple times, but not for almost 20 years. i remember that the capitol area is pretty much that...lots of monuments and government buildings. there is the downtown area which is lots of scrapers and such, and some pretty slummy areas as well. depends on what you want to shoot. me, i'd find some industrial stuff along the river and drive through some crappy areas.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
If you're going to be there this weekend, you should go to John Stewart's Rally for Sanity.

greenstphotography

• 35mm
    • GreenStPhotography
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »
The Main Avenue Fish market is a brief walk from the L'Enfant Plaza Metro stop and something most vistors never find.  It's actually a pretty easy walk from the mall as well. 

If you want industrial/underconstruction/slightly slummy head over to the waterfront near the new Nationals Stadium.

Georgetown, if you get off of the main drag (M Street) has some great architecture and some lovely walking trails along the canals that would give you either street life or serene water scenes.  M Street is your typical higher end shopping district, but if you look closely you can find some interesting images.  If you want a tattoo I recomend Jinx Proof, I got my half sleeve of cameras done there :)

If you want to see Graffitti then take the red line out toward Shady Grove (only do this during the day as it can get a bit sketchy).

"China Town" is only worth photographing for the gate...there is pretty much nothing "China" about it any more.

For an iconic hole in the wall there is Ben's Chili Bowl on U street (I've been meaning to photographic this place for some time).

You can also check out Eastern Market (Eastern Market Metro stop on the Blue Line, at the stop head toward the school and you'll find it in a couple of blocks).  On the weekends there are craft/antique/fresh produce vendors to compliment the market.

I live just across the river in Old Town Alexandria so feel free to ask me anything.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 05:28:51 PM »
My advice is take the train to Baltimore.

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:12 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! 
Although I won't be getting any ink in D.C., I do like to check out local tat shops.
They are always interesting and have interesting "characters" hanging 'round at times.

:)