Author Topic: Website Redesign...  (Read 1790 times)

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
Website Redesign...
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:03:35 AM »
I have updated my personal website if anyone feels like taking a look. Feedback is absolutely welcomed, before I send out my next email newsletter... so, I finally have my two newest projects online.

AND, I haven't yet put any digital up so now the time if you want to avoid seeing any of those uncomfortably non analog images...

www.eyecaramba.com
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:54:47 PM by eyecaramba »
My chopstick is really a love poem.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
Re: Website Redesign...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
aesthetically it looks great, as do the photos.  Load time for images on the home page is a bit slow (suggest reducing JPG file size).  One I'm into a portfolio's slide show, the lack of navigation requires multiple  back button clicks on the browser, depending on how many images have been viewed as each has a unique URL (unless there is navigation I can't see due to my monitor size on my small Powerbook?)  Is there anyway to make it easy for the user to get back to the main page or jump to a different portfolio on those pages?

Overall a nice presentation for some really wonderful portfolios.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 12:41:56 AM »
I found the design easy to use and view - the images loaded just fine for me, perhaps a little lag whilst the flash got going, but, after that just fine.

I think that the confusion that Gregor is alluding to is the confusion if you click on slide show, all the navigation disappears so you just need to click on single to get back to where you were.

Very nice though.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:53:49 AM »
Och nice stuff, but re fotis cood bee a wee bittie bigger  8)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:41:08 AM »
here's a screenshot of what I'm referring to. I've gone into a portfolio, selected slideshow from the options at bottom, and then after viewing several images try to get back to the home page (there's no visible navigation in the slideshow on my monitor size).  Clicking as far back as the browser back button will allow, this is where I end up in Safari (Firefox will go back to the homepage with navigation):

http://homepage.mac.com/gjamroski/pic1.jpg

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:46:16 AM »
Hmmmm.  I will see what I can do with navigation options.  I appreciate this.  It is basically a portfolio type of site, marketing to photographers.  I thought I would save some front end costs and go with a proven format but it isn't exactly wrinkle free I find.  Maybe there is an adjustment to be made.   Thanks!

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:34:41 AM »
it's really quite a nice site - just that 'little' glitch that makes it hard to get back to the main navigation. Otherwise it's lovely work and a good presentation.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:14:45 AM »
The site worked out great for me and I never got lost but I never clicked on the images. I just scrolled through them in the slideshow.

Not only do I find your pictures clever and witty and dramatic, but I think the same thing about your writing. Amazing work. I laughed out loud several times and I've only made it through one and half portfolios.
mojave

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:43:57 AM »
It's a great website with, in my opinion, a couple of very minor issues.

1. I'd make the "overview" of each portfolio appear as the first slide as it's too easy to miss out at the moment
2. I'd provide an option for slideshow or allow people to proceed at their own pace.

I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the portfolios. My favourites were the American stereotypes you showed in the studio series and several truly outstanding (for me) shots like George Jones, Bike Week, Soul City and Portland Head Light. Interesting Bartenders you have over there as well... ::)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
all looks great to me Gordon.  I had no problems with load times, picture size or navigation.I/m on chrome on OSX (10.6.4). I do miss the quirkiness of the old eyecaramba site though.  That said, it's great to see your hairstyle portrait gallery in there - that has been amusing me for more than a year now.  Keep them coming.  Can i suggest some 80's flicks and Flock of Seagull-esque bouffants in the future? Or maybe a Rod Stewart/ Ronnie Wood style spike?

L.

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 04:01:43 PM »
Thanks, all.  I have ironed out a couple more kinks.  I am not sure about the smaller screen size complaint / load time until I talk to the software developer.

I appreciate the compliments, Mojave.  I once worked a job where I read photographer & artist statements every day probably and it sort of warned me away from getting too self-important about what I do.  Sometimes, artist statements can be very entertaining but for all the wrong reasons.  I do want to be taken seriously, but at the same time, I don't want to take myself too seriously.  So, I like hearing that the statements and such are enjoyable.

I am with you Leon.  I really liked the old site.  But a lot of those images were carried forward from an even older site that I put together before I knew much about scanning and compression, etc.  There were some pretty rough images there. Plus the scans were pretty small.  Anyway, when the dust settles, I have some ideas to try to quirk up this template a bit.  I like having the project emphasis and the versatility of including other formats besides square, etc. 

Thanks for the input!

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
I might be an idiot but if i click on the Overview, it comes up with the overview (that's okay), but if i then click the arrow buttons... the text stays (the lighter background goes away) on top of the pictures. It's kind of funky. It goes away if i click the Overview link again.

(Firefox 3.6.9)
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/