Author Topic: Minolta AL-F  (Read 7295 times)

Roger Thoms

Minolta AL-F
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:55:36 AM »
Well just got a Minolta AL-F off ebay. Ordered a Wein Cell battery for the AL-F as soon as I won the bid and crossed my fingers that the camera was fully functional. Everything seemed to check out so I loaded up some film and went out shooting. Just got home from processing the film at my friends darkroom and it looks good. I'll know more after the film dries and I can really look at it. Very cool little camera which actually belongs to my girl friend, bought it for her cause she wanted a simple camera the was sharper than her Diana F+. My job is to find the camera, figure it out and then show her. Anyway here's a picture of the camera.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
formerly rtbadman

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Minolta AL-F
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:28:34 AM »
Glorious! I really like the Japanese compact stuff. The Wein cell might not be the best option, with an SR/LR 1,5V to 1,35 adapter usually more reliable and longer lasting? The only issue with these is sometimes their ability to provide enough current to power anything much more than a meter.

Some 1,35V cameras have an electrical shutter as well. If so, the Wein I think is your only option. Enjoy! Results soon we hope... Skj.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
I would also opt for the adapter. Wein cells are expensive and don't last really that long.

One hack I once saw was to use much cheaper zinc-air like the ones used in hearing aids and a rubber o-ring from the hardware store. They don't last as long as the Wein Cells, I know, but when you can get two for 1$... so if you're not up to spending much, this could be an alternative.

As with all conversions, check the meter to see if it's reliable. My mom's old Konica T3 would underexpose by a whole 2 stops when I used Wein Cells in it. They were also thicker so I had to dremel out a bit of the battery cover.

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Roger Thoms

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »
Thanks all for the tips on the batteries. I wasn't sure about the Wein Cells, but it was an easy way to test the camera. Nice to know I have other options.  From the first roll of film, a roll of Tmax 100, the meter appears to be pretty accurate.

The other thing the camera is going to need are light seals. The existing seals are a little gummy and are starting to break down. I have an inquiry in with a seller on ebay about a light seal kit. If that doesn't pan out I know that the seal material is available from Micro Tools, just not sure on the thickness.

Roger
formerly rtbadman

Roger Thoms

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:05:50 AM »
Just wanted to follow up. The AL-F is turning out to be a fun camera. Lets put it this way, I have been trying to get Leigh interested in taken photographs for years. No luck with with any of my SLR's or digital point and shoots. Turns out she really like the AL-F. Here are a couple of her photographs. These are from a recent tour of AT&T Park in San Francisco plus on at Ocean Beach also in SF.

Roger

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:08:03 AM by rtbadman »
formerly rtbadman

mart

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »
Nice!  I've been a Minolta Hi-matic compact fan for a long time. Have only the G zone focus now because the aged eyes don't work well anymore with the superimposed focusing types.

Roger Thoms

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 04:20:05 PM »
I just got a Hi-Matic but haven't had a chance to test it. Hopefully it functions properly.  If not, it was only $15 so no big deal. I like the fact the the Hi-Matic has slower shutter speeds and a B setting where as the AL-F only goes down to 1/30th of  second . The AL-F though is  a little smaller and the shutter speed ring on the lens is easier to operate.  I am really taken with these rangefinder cameras.
formerly rtbadman

mart

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »
rt: Which Hi-matic did you get?

Roger Thoms

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
I got a 7s. Bought it for $15 off Craigslist. I have a battery for it, just have to clean up the battery compartment a bit, and then I can test the camera. The battery terminals look fine, just some white powdery substance from the old battery.

The other project this weekend is to replace the light seals on the AL-F, they arrived yesterday. The original seals still work, but are sticky and are starting to break down.

Roger
formerly rtbadman