Author Topic: polaroid newbie question  (Read 2698 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
polaroid newbie question
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:25:20 AM »
just picked up a polaroid supercolor 635CL. any advice for a newbie to polaroid? film suggestions? what does the switch with the arrows do? since i bought it at a flea market, it lacks any kind of manual. also, today while i was out buying some 120 film i saw a polaroid sx-70 - what's so special about this camera? is it something i should consider going back for?

william

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: polaroid newbie question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 11:27:04 AM »
Your 635 uses readily available 600-series film. Only one type, unless your shop has some old stock of the sepia stuff...

The arrows I think are your Light/Dark control.

The SX-70 is a design marvel. No more film, but you can get it to work with the above 600-series. How much was it, and what model was it? Avoid the Series 3 versions.

Skj.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:10:22 PM »
thanks for the info skorj,

can you give more info on this light dark control? is it controlling the exposure somehow? i mean when sholuld it be pulled to the darkside and when to the light? is it about lighting, or where the light is falling and what you want to expose? i guess i could play around with it, but considering the cost of the film i'd rather have a general idea of what its function is.

as for the SX-70, i just saw it in the window after i left the shop. i didn't note which series it was and there was no price tag. i'll have to go back and ask and see what it costs. just did a quick google search and this appears to be the camera i saw.

william

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »

can you give more info on this light dark control? is it controlling the exposure somehow? i mean when sholuld it be pulled to the darkside and when to the light? is it about lighting, or where the light is falling and what you want to expose? i guess i could play around with it, but considering the cost of the film i'd rather have a general idea of what its function is.

Yes---it's for exposure control.
If you want the exposure to go "darker", then turn the knob toward the dark side. If you want the exposure to be "lighter", then turn the exposure to the lighter side. You have to test your camera to see how it's exposing then go from there.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 07:02:34 AM »
thanks susan. i picked up some film and shot a portrait last night as a test. as for the sx-70 it turns out it's cracked really bad so it's not even for sale. just out there for display purposes.

william

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »
When is your SX-70's birthday?
To find out, check out
http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/sx70sn.htm
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.