Author Topic: It's Friday! What are you waiting for?  (Read 1788 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
It's Friday! What are you waiting for?
« on: May 27, 2022, 02:46:50 PM »
I wanted to start off the weekend real bad.
So, here's a dandelion for you all :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: It's Friday! What are you waiting for?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 04:22:44 PM »
Nice weed Francois.  I just got back from my third trip to Los Angeles this year, two for work and one for pleasure.  I probably have at least one more trip there before the year is done.  It's been years since I was last there, now all of a sudden I'm going there a lot.  On a hot day off I went to the beach to keep cool.  I started at the Santa Monica Pier and walked to Venice Beach and back.  I brought my Leica IIf and a Summaron 3.5 lens with a yellow filter.  The film is Panatomic-X, expired 3/1963 developed in Rodinal 1:50.  I set the shutter speed to 1/100 and the iris to f/5.4 and left there all day.

Breakdancing on the Santa Monica Pier by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This young girl was amazing, she showed all the big boys how it's done.
Venice Skate Park Girl by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

A lot of junk to take in here. 
Seaside Burgers by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

1955 Chevrolet Truck by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Sorry for posting so many, there's more from this roll on my Flickr page.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 05:28:12 PM »
I set the shutter speed to 1/100 and the iris to f/5.4 and left there all day.

"f/5.4 and be there" - Weegee might have preferred f/8 but would have agreed with your technique.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 08:42:30 PM »
Thanks, the dandelion looked too good not to waste a few frames on it.
"f/5.4 and be there" - Weegee might have preferred f/8 but would have agreed with your technique.
With a 35mm lens, 5.4 is plenty for depth of field.
Weegee was using a speed graphic so f/8 was more appropriate.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 01:22:35 PM »
I think you misunderstand the concept Francois. Depth of field isn't the issue. I'm sure Bryan, and Weegee, still focussed their lenses. It's about exposure, or, more to the point, not being concerned about exposure or any technical details but just 'being there' and getting the picture.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 02:13:06 PM »

FWIW, when doing street photography, I have often pre-focused at 10ft/3m, set the aperture to 5.6 or 8, shutter to 1/125, and shot without any attempt to focus. It's much faster, and with a 50 or wider, there's plenty of DOF for most shots.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 03:45:14 PM »
I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
Weegee had one advantage though, most of his photos were taken at night with some flashbulbs, so focus and exposure were pretty simplified.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 04:21:14 PM »
I think you misunderstand the concept Francois. Depth of field isn't the issue. I'm sure Bryan, and Weegee, still focussed their lenses. It's about exposure, or, more to the point, not being concerned about exposure or any technical details but just 'being there' and getting the picture.

That was my intent, I knew exposure wasn’t going to change while I was there, the California sun is quite reliable.  I mostly shoot handheld at 1/100 so that’s why I used f5.4, the film is rated at ISO 12.  I did focus every shot.  For the action shots I focused on one spot and waited for the subject (skateboarder) to get there.  I chose that location because they seemed to be doing the best tricks there.  Also, I need my reading glasses to see the lens settings, this way I wasn’t fumbling around with them and my sunglasses all day. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 05:57:07 PM by Bryan »

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »
As it's Memorial Day weekend here in the States, one from the archive: my dad on his way to basic training, with his dad, a WW 1 veteran. I suspect the photo was taken by my dad's younger brother. Scan from the original negative.

Re exposure under Southern California lighting conditions, Bryan's correct: the light is generally consistent between 9:00am and about 4:00 pm, from April through October. About the only correction I'll make is for haze or overcast.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »
I wish the weather was more consistent over here at the moment. These were taken an hour and a quarter, about 40 miles apart and I managed to over exposure the second one, even though I metered seperately. I must go back to making notes at exposure time.
FP4+ in HC110  Linhof 5x4

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 02:17:57 PM »
One thing I've begun doing is putting a strip of masking tape on the holders themselves for taking random notes (including which holder it was). That way, things are easy to trace back. And I can always peel and stick the masking tape in a booklet for instant notes after processing. It also indicates which film was exposed, very convenient.
Francois