Author Topic: Weekend February 11, 12 & 13, 2022  (Read 1260 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Weekend February 11, 12 & 13, 2022
« on: February 12, 2022, 03:53:51 AM »
I was going to take my trusty old Olympus ∞ Stylus Zoom DLX snowboarding with me but the battery door doesn’t stay closed anymore.  I bought that camera new back in the 1990’s for snowboarding and it has served me well for a long time.  Instead I grabbed an Olympus ∞ Stylus Epic Zoom 80 that I picked up at an estate sale a few years ago.  I had forgotten that it gave me this vignetting problem before but I think it was worse this time.  I think this is a common problem with them.  Sometimes it does it some times it doesn’t, I haven’t taken the time to figure out if that’s just when it’s zoomed.  The photos below were cropped to remove the vignette.  I guess I’ll have to use gaffers tape to hold the battery door shut on the DLX. 

These were shout on Fujifilm Acros II and developed in beer. 

Anyone interested in a free Olympus ∞ Stylus Epic Zoom 80 with a vignetting problem.  Just pay shipping from Seattle.  I don’t want to accidentally grab it again. 

Cloud 9 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Lower Court's Meadow by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Upper Court's Meadow by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend February 11, 12 & 13, 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 03:07:40 PM »
We don't have hills like that around here. Ours are always a lot more crowded, less spacious and often badly maintained.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 03:33:05 PM »
We don't have hills like that around here. Ours are always a lot more crowded, less spacious and often badly maintained.

We do have some rugged mountains in the North Cascades which continues up into Canada.  I went mid week to avoid the crowds and got there right when they opened so the groomed runs were still in good condition.  These shots were all from the upper most chair lift which is double diamond, the most difficult terrain, that keeps people away.  There was also some fresh powder remaining from a snowfall a few days before.  I was surprised to find a few good powder runs remaining up there considering it hadn’t snowed for a few days. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 09:14:53 PM »
Last time I went snowboarding (back in the 90's), I got cut-off by a kid and took a tumble (caught an edge). It was just before a blind dip and I couldn't see that the snowcat had left a chunk of ice about the size of a bowling ball. I fell on it, back first... lets just say it hurts pretty bad. I was lucky not to have broken any bones, but it did rip the skin and bled pretty badly.
After that accident, the board went into the garden shed and never came out again.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 09:44:54 PM »
Nice shots Bryan. I never was much for winter sports even when I lived in Spokane. I was out on a nice February walk around a local winery where they have lots of old rusty stuff. I happened to have my F2 loaded with some long expired GAF Type II Class N. I shot it at 25 and dev'd in parodinal. It's a little over-exposed, but not terrible.

F2-GAF-006_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

F2-GAF-007_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

F2-GAF-009_sm by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 10:36:57 PM »
Nice start to the weekend.
Bryan, I love fresh powdery snow. It's one of the best things on the planet as far as I'm concerned. We have about eight inches of the stuff in the yard that is quickly melting, but wow, is it so fluffy.

My offering is a shot of a tree up the road from me that I mainly use as a model.
Reality So subtle pinhole camera loaded with a piece of harman Direct positive paper, propped on the back bumper of my truck, then souped in caffenol.
I also like the reversed "black sun" in the shot which I try to get when I do this. Photo hung to dry over the wood stove then flattened in my star atlas. Some pedigree eh?

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 01:05:27 PM »
Those are really soothing shots BryanI'm sure that they would look great printed as a typtrich.
A couple from the Holga + Ilford HP5 +  HC110 from a quick walk after work yesterday, so I could bet me International Brownie camera shots done.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 05:43:40 PM »
Someone in my neighborhood painted a rock to look like a tiny hobbit house and left it outside by a tree 😊

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 06:42:08 PM »
Someone in my neighborhood painted a rock to look like a tiny hobbit house and left it outside by a tree 😊
That's been going on in my neighborhood for a few years now, painted rocks placed all over.  I see them all the time walking my dogs.  Someone left one in my front yard over a year ago, it's still sitting there.  I haven't seen any painted like Hobbit Houses yet, mostly messages or flowery designs. 

Nice start to the weekend.
Bryan, I love fresh powdery snow. It's one of the best things on the planet as far as I'm concerned. We have about eight inches of the stuff in the yard that is quickly melting, but wow, is it so fluffy.

Thanks Becky, deep powder on a steep slope is one of my favorite things, not only does it look great but it's like snowboarding on a soft cloud. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 07:35:19 PM »
That's been going on in my neighborhood for a few years now, painted rocks placed all over.  I see them all the time walking my dogs.  Someone left one in my front yard over a year ago, it's still sitting there.  I haven't seen any painted like Hobbit Houses yet, mostly messages or flowery designs. 

I love when artists donate their work to the public. I mean, I do the same with my music, but somehow a physical object just being there, randomly, contributing to the beauty of the world, is specialer 😊

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 08:42:42 PM »
Lovely shot Becky, it almost looks like the sun burnt a hole in the film!
We've had a lot of rain here lately, but on Friday morning I woke up to a very thin layer of snow. It was gone before nightfall, but that's what it's like here.

Canon P / A. Schacht Travegon 3.5/35 R / Rollei RPX 400 in FX-39
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 09:24:14 PM »

I love when artists donate their work to the public. I mean, I do the same with my music, but somehow a physical object just being there, randomly, contributing to the beauty of the world, is specialer 😊
This reminds me so much of the Tiny Door Atlanta project :)
All we have here are mysterious stencil graffiti blue footprints that appear on sidewalks all over the city... though I haven't seen any new ones in quite some time.
Francois