Author Topic: First weekend of November, 2021  (Read 1004 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
First weekend of November, 2021
« on: November 05, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »
More from New Mexico, drove up to Bloomfield and Aztec to visit some Pueblo Ruins.  The Aztec ruins have nothing to do with Aztec culture, they were wrongly thought to be Aztec when they were discovered.  They even named the town Aztec.   

Leica IIIc with Kodak Tri-X 400 developed in Kodak HC-110 dilution B.  Somehow I forgot to label this film when I loaded into an old Ilford HP5+ cassette so I thought I was shooting HP5+ all day.  As I was loading it onto the developing reel I could feel masking tape at the end.  My heart sank, I thought I just shot a roll of expired Panatomic-X at 400, it's going to be way off.  I took a piece of the leader and compared it to Panatomic-X, not the same.  Still, it could have been Ilford Pan F 50+ or Tri-X, the only other bulk film I have.  I sometimes load film into like speed cassettes in case I use them in a DX camera so I went with Tri-X and developed it that way.  Big relief when I saw it came out correct.

It was fun watching this heard of wild horses galloping across the desert.  I had to make a quick lens change to my Canon 135mm to get a few shots off before they disappeared.  Now when I'm driving somewhere I try to remember to leave the 135mm lens on so I can get quick shots of wildlife before they run away.  Wild horses tend to run off pretty quick when they see people.
Wild Horses at Burnham Chapter by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5 lens.
Salmon House by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5 lens.
Aztec Ruins by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: First weekend of November, 2021
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 09:48:22 PM »
Nice shots Bryan, good thing that you hit the correct development on those.
Some more beach shots from me.

Contax 645 / Zeiss Distagon 3.5/55 / Ilford FP4+ in Adox FX-39 II
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
Fantastic capture of the horses Bryan! Since Tri-X and HP5+ are the same speed, I wonder if your brain didn't bother telling you to label the Tri-X because it knew that HP5+ development times would be similar enough not to cause too many problems? Or maybe just a happy accident? Either way, glad it worked out.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 07:25:53 PM »
Fantastic capture of the horses Bryan! Since Tri-X and HP5+ are the same speed, I wonder if your brain didn't bother telling you to label the Tri-X because it knew that HP5+ development times would be similar enough not to cause too many problems? Or maybe just a happy accident? Either way, glad it worked out.

Thanks Grit!  I may not have wanted to cover the DX code but I usually put a label on the cassette and the film can with masking tape.  When I put the film in a camera the label from the film can gets moved to the bottom of the camera so I know what is in it.  I think I was in a hurry to load up a bunch of cassettes before I left for New Mexico and it got lost in the shuffle.  Hopefully I learn from my mistakes. 

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 04:30:49 AM »
The running horses look great! Also love the sky in Kai-San's pictures.

Over the last weeks the squirrels at our local graveyard were very busy collecting nuts. I managed to catch one (in camera only).  :)
Minolta Dynax 9xi, projection lens, Adox Scala160

Red Squirrel

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 02:34:50 PM »
It looks like he's definitely found a tasty one!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »
I managed to catch one (in camera only).  :)
Minolta Dynax 9xi, projection lens, Adox Scala160

Red Squirrel
Strange plain of focus in that picture. His whiskers are sharp and the hairs on his back are sharp. Looks like you had some tilt on the lens.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 05:28:49 PM »
Yes, it is a squeezer lens made of what I think is some shock absorber cover tube and an old Leitz projection lens. The plain of focus is all over the place, but you can get some nice effects sometimes.