Author Topic: Weekend - October 15, 16 & 17, 2021  (Read 1284 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Weekend - October 15, 16 & 17, 2021
« on: October 15, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »
Some glass plates shot in New Mexico and Arizona.  Zeiss Ikon ICA Trona 9X12 with J. Lane Dry Plates developed in HC-110 Dilution B.

I could see the Venus Needle in the distance from my job site in Navajo, New Mexico. 
Venus Needle by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I took this while hiking across the lava fields on the Zuni-Acoma Trail in El Malpais National Monument.
Dead Ponderosa by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Elephant Butte in Monument Valley, Arizona.  Can you see the elephants?
Elephant Butte by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend - October 15, 16 & 17, 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 09:04:58 PM »
Those are really strange bits of rock.
I'm always surprised at the way they are eroded.

Here, since we were covered by a huge ice sheet at one time, all our hills and mountains are seriously eroded and rounded over.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 09:38:18 PM »
Very nice shots Bryan! I'm quite impressed with the first shot, you seem to have hit the optimal development on that one. I've seen some J. Lane results over at RFF, but yours is much more to my taste. Care to share the recipe?  ;) I need to blow some dust off my Plaubel Makina IIS and load it up with glass.
Here's a manmade formation from up north.

Contax N1 / Zeiss Distagon 3.5/55 / Rollei Retro 400S in Rodinal
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 06:42:03 AM »
Those are really strange bits of rock.
I'm always surprised at the way they are eroded.

Here, since we were covered by a huge ice sheet at one time, all our hills and mountains are seriously eroded and rounded over.

There’s a lot of crazy erosion with the sandstone, glaciers would have ground soft rock like that down to nothing. 

Very nice shots Bryan! I'm quite impressed with the first shot, you seem to have hit the optimal development on that one. I've seen some J. Lane results over at RFF, but yours is much more to my taste. Care to share the recipe?  ;) I need to blow some dust off my Plaubel Makina IIS and load it up with glass.

Thanks Kai, I’m just following the instructions on the website for development.  That’s why I got the HC-110, didn’t think beer would work well.  I did very gentle agitation, that seemed to help.  I think the exposure is the hard part, I found a little overexposure seems to help.  The flaws in the emulsion tend to make for uneven skies so landscapes are probably not the best use for this film. 

Antonio

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 08:57:39 AM »
Some glass plates shot in New Mexico and Arizona.  Zeiss Ikon ICA Trona 9X12 with J. Lane Dry Plates developed in HC-110 Dilution B.

I could see the Venus Needle in the distance from my job site in Navajo, New Mexico. 

I took this while hiking across the lava fields on the Zuni-Acoma Trail in El Malpais National Monument.

Hi!
These are really impressive. I love 9x12 format !! Your results with glass plates are amazing! Especially the first one. All have superb tones and details.
Cheers

Antonio

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 09:15:21 AM »
Hi!

I visited Buitrago del Lozoya, an old village near my home.

1.From the northern bank of the Lozoya river.

2. Church of Santa María del Castillo.

I love 9x12 format !!! Ummm, I need to try those dry plates :-)
Voigtlander Bergheil : Heliar 150/4.5
Foma 100 : HC-110 (h)

Saludos
Antonio

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »

Well done for getting these to come out so well Bryan, I have struggled to get consist result with the J Lane dry plate so I have given up for this year.
A couple of pinholes from the Sandeha made TUTONE 4X5 expired Acros.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
Antonio: I always loved old medieval fortifications.
It reminds me of when I visited Carcassonne when I was a kid. These structures are definitely impressive.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »
Well done for getting these to come out so well Bryan, I have struggled to get consist result with the J Lane dry plate so I have given up for this year.

Thanks Irv, those pinholes came out great! I’ve had my struggles with the glass plates as well, bad exposures, damaging the delicate emulsion.  I have to wonder how much variation there is in the emulsion speed and thickness since they are all hand made.  I have a few more plates to shoot but I’m not sure when I’ll order more. 

Hi!
These are really impressive. I love 9x12 format !! Your results with glass plates are amazing! Especially the first one. All have superb tones and details.
Cheers

Thanks Antonio.  One thing I like about the 9X12 format is how small and lightweight the camera is.  It’s not much different than packing an SLR on a hike.  I can’t imagine packing my Crown Graphic and all the gear that goes with it on a long hike.  Your shots of Buitrago del Lozoya are great, it looks like beautiful place.  One thing I’m starting to figure out with 9X12 is adjusting the focus for film.  After I focus with the ground glass I rack the lens back slightly, and don’t trust the focus scale.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:10:35 PM by Bryan »

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 09:47:51 PM »
Great results with the dry plates Bryan! I have to give it another try. I think I have underexposed the plates in my first attempt and they came out very contrasty.

Love that first shot Antonio!

Mine is taken at the local forest with my trusty Agfa Super Isolette and FP4.

Overgrown Stream