Author Topic: Dublin!  (Read 1796 times)

Tim

• 35mm
Dublin!
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
Fellow filmwasters,

my girlfriend and i are going to visit dublin for a few days - she has to do a questionary for one of her final papers (she is studying english here in germany) - but i'll have a lot of time to explore the city! :)  (ok - except of the time i have to write some stuff for university as well, but...i will hurry up!)

My question now is, do you have some unique ideas what you really have to do in dublin? Some hint off the beaten path of tourists maybe? I've been to ireland last summer but - except for arriving/leaving it - did not spend alot of time in the cities.

thank you very much,
tim

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Dublin!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
You might just pop in a pub :-) Just for the craic .

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
and drink Guinness   :)

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
Having just spent a few days in Dublin, I had asked some of these same questions and got some helpful responses:  http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=3652.0

I can add that I found two photography spaces in Meeting House Square (Temple Bar):  The Gallery of Photography and The National Photographic Archive.  The former was closed when I wanted to visit--unscheduled, did someone forget to show up for work?--but the Archive had a spectacular exhibit of large prints of upperclass home life in the early twentieth century, when it must have been good to be the inhabitants.

I don't know when you plan to visit.  I found the short days, with the low sun, difficult, photographically speaking but I guess learning the local light and what to do with it is half the fun.  In any case, I over exposed and plan to under-develop (slightly) the film I exposed while was there.

Finally, I suggest that you bring extra cash.  The craic and Guiness both are readily available but very dear.  The good news is that museums and galleries mostly are free. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »
You might just pop in a pub :-) Just for the craic .

Thanks Andrea...yours and Windy's input will be much appreciated by Tim, I'm sure!!
 ;) :D :D :D :D

Tim, hopefully you'll get some useful info from the earlier thread which blaxton has linked to.

Terry

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
If you're knocking around Temple Bar drop into the Irish Film Centre in Eustace Street.  Good pub inside and usually inhabited by interesting filmic types.  And perhaps Kennedy's just off Merrion Square in the top end of Westland Row (Trinity College student hangout, or used to be).  A ride on the DART train out to Bray is fun too and perhaps a good photo opportunity.  If it's tourists you want go to ODonohues in Merrion Row off Stephen's Green.  But I reiterate: if there's any way you can get up to the Blue Light, do it! 

sethasaurus

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:39 AM »
Tim,

If you can find Eustace St, the Irish Film Institute is there. Meeting House square and the Gallery of Photography is also found off Eustace St.

My favourite central restaurant, Eden, is in Meeting House Square: http://www.edenrestaurant.ie
Other restaurants I've been to in Dublin have been a disappointment, and actually, I got food poisoning about 5 times after moving here (after only once ever in my life)... Needless to say, you should watch what you eat anywhere.

Definitely check out Cafe en Seine on Dawson St, as the decor is really impressive (bar the ridiculous TV screens they use for watching sports). At night it becomes just another drunken watering hole, but it's great to sit and read the papers on a sunday afternoon. The service is crap and the food is average, but you'll be glad you've seen it, at least! Actually, their fixed-price lunch buffet was always good and they do a great french onion soup.

If you need camera supplies, see John Gunn's on Wexford St.

You should check out Powers Court which is a small shopping centre on South William St which often gets overlooked and has a nice atmosphere. Cafes, antiques, modern clothing stores, etc.

Mt Jerome cemetary is apparently pretty impressive (being very old and decrepit), and I've been meaning to visit it myself.

Actually.. if you want some directions, and would like to meet up, I'm in the city most days. Just a thought!

Seth
"Dear friends. My work is done. Why wait?"... 'BANG'
- George Eastman. Mar 14, 1932.