Author Topic: Essex Coast  (Read 1198 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Essex Coast
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
I have the next two Friday's off and am planning to use both days to go out with a camera or two.

I am planning to visit the Essex coast this week and was thinking of heading out to Walton on the Naze.  Can anyone recommend any places to visit nearby or along the coast?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Essex Coast
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »
Hi Charles,

As an Essex resident (not native, as you know) I've always struggled to find somewhere that appeals to my eye.  However, Paul Mitchell has recommended "Heybridge Basin", which is just outside Maldon. I've visited maldon several times and I'm certain there's some great shots to be had but I struggle to find them. Maybe you'll have better luck?

Walton, Frinton and Clacton are all places I've visited a few times but come away largely, empty-handed.  Jaywick is, apparently, the most deprived area in the whole of the UK - largely a shanty town of former holiday homes gone to ruin - but some intersting sights.  I've been a couple of times and it is rough.  I don't recommend you go after dark.

If you go up the Suffolk coast, Aldeburgh and Southwold are a lot more appealing, in my opinion.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »
I can add to the list...

Tollesbury
West & East Mersea
Dovercourt (next to Harwich)

Always something good to make images of on the Essex coast

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Tollesbury and Mersea look like good places to visit. 

I might save Jaywick for when I've got a bodyguard though.