Author Topic: Weekend 26th - 27th December  (Read 4713 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Weekend 26th - 27th December
« on: December 26, 2015, 06:47:28 PM »
It looks like the weekend thread got overlooked, so I will take this opportunity to start it since we here on the left coast of the US don't often get the chance. Here is some Dacomatic I shot in my K1000 and dev'd in X-tol. Lovely orthochromia.

K1000-Dacomatic-004 by James Harr, on Flickr

K1000-Dacomatic-002 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Weekend 26th - 27th December
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »
Leica IIIg, Elmar 90/4, HP5+ in Caffenol C-H(RS):

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »
Yashica Mat 124, Foman200, D76.

mending_his_nets by Miljenko Vrankovic, on Flickr
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:09:58 AM »
Olympus 35RC and Fuji Pro 800Z film:

Xmas is almost over
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Terry

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 02:01:14 AM »
Thanks for the kickoff, James!  A couple from this past week; the first is HP5 and the second is Agfa XPS160, both in a Yashica 44.

D&R Canal par Terry B, on ipernity

corridors par Terry B, on ipernity

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 03:52:16 AM »
I like the Dacomatic shots James, nice start.  These were photographed with a Kodak Monitor Six-16 using Kodak Verichrome Pan VP-616 film.  The film is rated at ASA 125 but since they haven't made this film in 616 format since 1984 and I have no idea when it expired I exposed it at ASA 5.  Semi-Stand developed in Rodinal 1-100 for 1 hour.   

Sammamish River Railroad Trestle by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

High Water by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 06:01:14 AM »
Love the photos posted, so far. In terms of pure aesthetic, I must say that Terry's D&R Canal shot really floats my boat and that Kevin Allan's "Christmas is almost over" photo is as near a photographic representation of how I feel right now as there possibly could be.

Mine is from our holiday in Malta last year. Rolleiflex 2.8e loaded with Ilford Delta 400. Aside from adding a frame, I did a couple of minor tweaks but it's pretty much as processed and scanned by UK Film Lab.  The bloke (stall-holder, I think) made this shot for me. I was originally just looking for some light, shade and texture from the locally-produced lace.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:03:58 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 10:03:05 AM »
Wormley Woods.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »
2 strangers and a view. Again Kodak VR400 @ 1600 in homebrewed C-41.

V and N
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

l-36.jpg
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
Really like the leafs in jharr's 2nd shot!
Got the last 2 of my autmn large format pictures. Chamonix 45F1, 150mm lens, Kodak Ektar 100.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
Another stunning pair, Manuel! That foggy forest must've been quite something to look at :)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
Finally got out yesterday to do some shooting only to discover that my Konica Autoreflex T3 has developed the pre-firing syndrome. It works like this: You pull the film advance lever to it's full extent and in the split second you let go of it, the shutter fires. 16 frames out of 36 down the drain and a camera that cannot be repaired due to lack of spares. So if anyone here needs a camera body for spares just let me know.

Konica Autoreflex T3 / Hexanon AR 3,5 28mm / Rollei 400S stand dev. in Rodinal
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »
Manuel, that second shot is just beautiful!
Charles' woods are also worth a second look as is Bryan's trellis. As usual, just calling out the ones that immediately appeal, but everything posted so far will get some more viewing time. Great thread this week!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:51:08 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »
Kai - can you treat that as a "feature" and not a "bug"? I.e., instead of using the shutter button, use the film advance lever to take a picture? Maybe that introduces camera shake, but maybe not at higher shutter speeds...

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
I for my part have been trying to recover FP100C negatives. It seems like a pretty simple process, but I've been getting very poor results ... mostly in the form of monochrome negatives which can't be saved in scanner or in Lightroom. Mostly orange-and-white negs. Anyways, this time I tried washing the goop off right after peeling it apart (instead of waiting for the entire thing to dry), the theory being that the longer the goop (ie, developer) stays on the negative, the more overdeveloped it gets, and maybe one color (orange?) stays active longer than the rest and turns it into the orange-and-white monochrome negs I've been getting. Anyways, I can't tell whether that is actually true, since this is only my first test, but it was a success! However, there was one other variable involved here, which is that the positive was underexposed, so that might be the real reason. Ok, that's probably the real reason  :P

Any other tips on FP100C neg recovery?

ABC No RIo by Satish Indofunk, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:15:16 PM by Indofunk »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
Kai - can you treat that as a "feature" and not a "bug"? I.e., instead of using the shutter button, use the film advance lever to take a picture? Maybe that introduces camera shake, but maybe not at higher shutter speeds...

I was thinking the same but this error also brings with it another unforeseen action; it raises the mirror so that the viewfinder goes black. That combined with camera shake is not exactly a recipe for success!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »
Finally got out yesterday to do some shooting only to discover that my Konica Autoreflex T3 has developed the pre-firing syndrome. It works like this: You pull the film advance lever to it's full extent and in the split second you let go of it, the shutter fires. 16 frames out of 36 down the drain and a camera that cannot be repaired due to lack of spares. So if anyone here needs a camera body for spares just let me know.

Looking at Matt Denton's page it does sound like a complicated little bugger, however I wonder if the shutter cocking is hanging because of dirt among the gears and levers in the base.  Maybe you could easily whip the base plate off and liberally sprinkle some Ronsonol inside.  Try cocking and firing while it's still wet.

http://mattsclassiccameras.com/konica_auto_t3.html

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 08:10:55 PM »
Thanks Sandeha, it might be worth a try. It does however mostly behave very well without film in it and I'm not very keen on wasting film in that manner. If I only had some of those old 12 frame cartridges (without investing in a spooling device, that is). One fine day I suppose I will do that anyway........ ::)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 08:33:55 PM »
Here's one from Christmas day.  We have been enjoying record-breaking warm weather here in southern New England.  On Christmas I saw more people in the park in shirtsleeves than in overcoats.

Graphic 2x3, Topcor 105mm lens, Tri-X, developed in Xtol.

Matt
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »
Thanks Sandeha, it might be worth a try. It does however mostly behave very well without film in it and I'm not very keen on wasting film in that manner. If I only had some of those old 12 frame cartridges (without investing in a spooling device, that is). One fine day I suppose I will do that anyway........ ::)
There's probably a stuck piece somewhere in there... Mine has a problem with the frame counter which refuses to reset because the oil has turned to gunk...
I guess that if you look closely at the mechanics while slowly winding the camera you'll be able to figure out what's wrong. I just hope it's not somewhere under the top plate...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 11:49:24 PM »
I for my part have been trying to recover FP100C negatives. It seems like a pretty simple process, but I've been getting very poor results ... mostly in the form of monochrome negatives which can't be saved in scanner or in Lightroom. Mostly orange-and-white negs. Anyways, this time I tried washing the goop off right after peeling it apart (instead of waiting for the entire thing to dry), the theory being that the longer the goop (ie, developer) stays on the negative, the more overdeveloped it gets, and maybe one color (orange?) stays active longer than the rest and turns it into the orange-and-white monochrome negs I've been getting. Anyways, I can't tell whether that is actually true, since this is only my first test, but it was a success! However, there was one other variable involved here, which is that the positive was underexposed, so that might be the real reason. Ok, that's probably the real reason  :P

Any other tips on FP100C neg recovery?

ABC No RIo by Satish Indofunk, on Flickr

First of all, cool shot!

Second, I've found that underexposed prints make for better recovered negatives.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »
Really like that shot Satish!
For me instant large format alost always failed. I still got 2 holders and some packages of old & new 55 lying around, but am very reluctant to pick it up again.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 07:07:30 PM »
Okay, I know it's not the weekend, but I finally have something for the weekend thread, and this is the first time I've actually gotten the screen to load, so I'm sneaking some pictures in! :D

These are Agfa Vista 200 in the Praktica FX2. I'm not sure if the camera has a leak, or if the leak happened when the film was unloaded. See, I was dumb and apparently wasn't really holding the rewind release button properly, because as soon as I started to rewind, the film promptly broke. Since I take the color film to a lab, I asked them if they could just take the film straight from the camera. The guy said it was no problem, but I do wonder how careful he was. The leak was definitely worse at the end of the roll (which would have been on the outside of the roll as he opened the camera, since it wasn't rewound.) I've got a roll of HP5 loaded at the moment, which I'll develop myself, so controlling that variable will help me determine what went wrong with this last roll.

Aaaaaanywho, I decided I kinda liked some of the sprocket hole leaks, so here are two of the shots:

Riverside v1 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

The birds v1 by limrodrigues, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:13:31 PM by limr »
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 02:29:45 PM »
Oooh! I do love that second one!  :)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 07:01:31 PM »
There's probably a stuck piece somewhere in there... Mine has a problem with the frame counter which refuses to reset because the oil has turned to gunk...
I guess that if you look closely at the mechanics while slowly winding the camera you'll be able to figure out what's wrong. I just hope it's not somewhere under the top plate...
Well, I finally removed the base plate of the T3..........only to find a new plate that covers up most of the action. This plate looks like it's part of the camera structure, and I do not feel comfortable tampering with it. Anyway I remembered that I had a test film somewhere, a 24 frame Kodak Gold 200 that was once "exposed" to an accident. But no way can I reproduce this fault that I experience out in the field. Which leads me to suspect that this might be a temperature related error, something sticking in the cold outside. At any rate, my offer still stands if amybody would like a camera body for spares. I have a nice T4 which I just reskinned, so I will keep the lovely glass.  ;)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 12:59:46 AM »
Oooh! I do love that second one!  :)

Thank you, Satish! And you know I mean it, because it took me many refreshes and quite a while to get this page loaded so I could post this :D
Leonore

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 01:29:14 AM »
Satish, that shot looks great!