Author Topic: C-41 Longevity  (Read 5429 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
C-41 Longevity
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
This is a fascinating thread for those of us who like to save money on stuff. 50 rolls out of a 1L kit over the course of more than a year?? Yes please!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/diy_color/discuss/72157640376426995/
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: C-41 Longevity
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:35 PM »
Someone was on roll 69 and colours looked great

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:46:47 PM »
I'm currently making notes as I use my C41, roll 15 so far on this litre. I don't mind pushing the limits as if I get 20 rolls a litre that's 40p a roll

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
This is all making me really think about ordering a kit from Argentix...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:25 PM »
It's hard to believe that the manufacturers spec these at 8 rolls of 35mm. They either have some sensationally sensitive instrument and some outrageously tight tolerances, or they are just trying to get everyone to buy 6 times as many kits as they need.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »
Lets just say that a spectrometer is a lot more precise than the human eye.
And this comes down to a simple question: what do we make photos for?

I know that for exact work under the enlarger, you want to get the most out of the film and fresh chemistry is the way to do it.
But as far as I know, I'm not a machine and I don't take pictures of perfect test charts so that probably doesn't concern me too much.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:38:17 PM »
I am envious of those of you who can get more than 20 rolls out of a liter. That's about the point at which my dev either dies a sudden and violent death, and my negs come out completely blank (though this probably has more to do with technique and cleanliness than developer longevity), or it starts to die a slow and monocolored death, giving me completely blueshifted negatives. I know James stores his C41 dev outdoors in an open heated dish and still gets results for months :P but I can't seem to duplicate that...

x100art

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »
I went up to 17 rolls with a few of the rolls being 120, because I was scared of the outcome that might happen. The last roll  that I did just didn't have that color that I was expecting with Kodak Ektar. If it wasn't for Costco still developing them for $1.59 a roll I just might of had open that other C 41 press kit that I have.
Take me back to the 80's please !!! I don't  like this time ..

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
You're lucky that Costco still does it... Here its pretty much all gone.
Coztco, Walmart and Maxi (supermarket) have all pulled the plug. The cheapest I can get is 12$ a roll with prints. No option for processing only. Bloody e/pensive when I consider that I had at one point professional quality processing for 4.50$ a roll including prints.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
$12 a roll??? Wait, I guess that's only 50 cents in "real" money ;) But seriously. CRC here in town charges $9 for just processing. There used to be a mom & pop place that would process C41 for $2 a roll, but of course you get what you pay for and it certainly wasn't professional quality. As I've mentioned before, C41 at home is *just* annoying enough that after every round I think to myself "that's it! That's the last time I process C41 at home!" but then when I have another roll of C41 ready I say "$9 a roll? HELL no, I got C41 chems right here, I'm going to home-develop, obvi!!" :D

x100art

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
Prices are outrageous, but I guess it's supply and demand .
Blue moon camera, charges $4.50 by machine or done by  hand development it's $9.99 anything over $3.50 for me is too much, but that's me I'm cheap. ;D

The chore of doing C 41 processing at home for me is heating up the water to get the chemicals at the right temperature.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 06:49:45 PM »
I find heating chemicals a doddle now, PID with a pt100 probe, 2 x 300w aquarium heaters and a few wires

Gets perfect temp in about an hour and maintains to within 0.1 deg

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
At the prices that they are starting to charge, I'm seriously looking into the DIY method.
Last time I sent out a 36 exposure roll with prints it cost me, with tax in, please have a seat and swallow your tea before reading the scrolling text
Close to 20 dollars!
Considering I can get a kit for 23$+tax, I think it says it all...
Francois

x100art

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
That some serious cash there!!

After reading the first post, I'm going to see how much I can get out of my 1 L chemicals once I mix it up. I hope to at least get 20 rolls. I found the kit under $20 at freestyle I just might order one more to have a small stockpile

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 09:52:36 PM »
If I decide to develop color at home which is more difficult, C41 or E6.  I would rather do E6 since I would be able to extend what I learn to 8mm and ViewMaster films.  I don't like the idea of using chemicals that make nasty fumes in the house.

I usually spend around $20/roll for color film but I use a lab that does a great job on both development and scans. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
I must admit that both c41 and e6 are real stinkers. So processing next to a vent hood that exhausts to the outside can be a nice thing. Or better yet processing outside if weather permits.

I'm thinking of making some type of ventilation box that would fit in a semi open window then in use.. A bit like those air conditioning units you fit in the window but only with a bathroom fan...
Francois

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
If I decide to develop color at home which is more difficult, C41 or E6.  I would rather do E6 since I would be able to extend what I learn to 8mm and ViewMaster films.  I don't like the idea of using chemicals that make nasty fumes in the house.

I usually spend around $20/roll for color film but I use a lab that does a great job on both development and scans.

E6 is a little more involved but neither process is a quantum leap in terms of difficulty from b&w.  You just need to be more careful with timings and temperatures.  Photoshop will forgive a multitude of sins in any case.  I prefer c-41 because I like Portra for most of my work and besides, the Tetenal kits C41 kits are cheaper.  E6 has one or two extra steps but that's it.

I'd recommend you use the Tetenal C41 or E6 kits. A litre will process 16 films and the chemical are very easy to mix and dilute.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
Aren't E6 and C41 exactly the same process, except that E6 has a reversal bath between the CD and bleach? Also, I don't think I've seen an E6 kit with "blix"; ie, it's always separate bleach and fix. Or not.

I must admit that both c41 and e6 are real stinkers. So processing next to a vent hood that exhausts to the outside can be a nice thing. Or better yet processing outside if weather permits.

I'm thinking of making some type of ventilation box that would fit in a semi open window then in use.. A bit like those air conditioning units you fit in the window but only with a bathroom fan...

This is a great idea, because C41 blix can probably kill a small mammal in the time it takes to process one roll of film. Especially if you get a powder kit ... just opening a bag of C41 powder will shave a year or two off of your life (if you're dumb like me and open it in a hermetically sealed bathroom :) )

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »
That's why I always mix powders outside with the wind at my side.  ;D
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 03:31:16 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  The reason I like to semi-stand develop B&W is the lack of nasty chemicals plus it's very forgiving.  I will need to think about where I could do the E6 processing if I decide to do it.  Right now I process in a laundry room with no windows or vents.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 04:09:08 AM »
I'm drawn to trying e6 first, mainly because it is hard to find processing that is cheap and there are no local sources. I have heard that e6 kits have a shorter shelf life when mixed. Can anyone compare longevity of c41 and e6 chemistry?
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  The reason I like to semi-stand develop B&W is the lack of nasty chemicals plus it's very forgiving.  I will need to think about where I could do the E6 processing if I decide to do it.  Right now I process in a laundry room with no windows or vents.
Well, there is a vent for the dryer...
Maybe it would be possible to fit a metal y connector at the wall...
Francois

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »
I use the Digibase C41 kit, liquid concentrates so no powders, and I haven't noticed any particularly bad smells in use

x100art

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

I use the Digibase C41 kit, liquid concentrates so no powders, and I haven't noticed any particularly bad smells in use

I've been trying to find that same kit at B&H     with no luck. I feel a little paranoid using the powder kit, just worried that it might go airborne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »
I know it is readily available in Europe, but I'm not sure on the legalities of shipping liquids to the U.S.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 03:38:04 AM »
Well, there is a vent for the dryer...
Maybe it would be possible to fit a metal y connector at the wall...

I thought about that, would have to figure out how to keep the vapors from going into th dryer.  I could do it outside but in the winter it would be hard to maintain temperatures.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »
Running the dryer on cold for a few minutes should fix that...
Francois