Author Topic: Fancy a giggle?  (Read 6301 times)

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Fancy a giggle?
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:04:23 PM »
Hello all,

Not sure how I found this but it made me chuckle.

How to NOT use a Leica

Talk about persistence  ;)

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Fancy a giggle?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:04 PM »
We've all done this with rangefinders, I'm sure but he's had at least 3 or 4 bites at the cherry to see he's still got the lens cap attached. This might well be a d*****l Leica, so even less sympathy. A word that means "male chicken" springs to mind.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Look again at the camera Paul.  Look familiar?  ;)
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
We've all done this with rangefinders, I'm sure but he's had at least 3 or 4 bites at the cherry to see he's still got the lens cap attached. This might well be a d*****l Leica, so even less sympathy. A word that means "male chicken" springs to mind.....

It's a film one- it's got a rewind crank. As such he deserves our solidarity. Also, to be fair he doesn't actually take a picture- Looks like he's checking the meter reading (I can almost see the thought bubble: "it's not that dark out here"). I've done this- which is why I now take the cap off and leave it at home. However, I also managed to shoot an entire roll of C41 with the yellow filter on my Zorki the other week. This is why I'm going off rangefinders- I'm too daft to use them properly and prefer the WYSIWYG joy of a nice SLR.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
If it's a "TTL" version, the arrows and red dot all blink like crazy to let the photographer know that there's no light getting to the meter. Like I say, done it myself a couple of times. Hope this was his first and last. Wonder if he ever worked it out...?

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:08:50 AM »
If it's a "TTL" version, the arrows and red dot all blink like crazy to let the photographer know that there's no light getting to the meter. Like I say, done it myself a couple of times. Hope this was his first and last. Wonder if he ever worked it out...?

Ah- on the M5 the needle just sits and does nothing while I frantically change the shutter speed and aperture and wonder why it's not responding  ::)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
This is the man UV filters were made for.  ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »

It's a film one- it's got a rewind crank. As such he deserves our solidarity. Also, to be fair he doesn't actually take a picture- Looks like he's checking the meter reading (I can almost see the thought bubble: "it's not that dark out here"). I've done this- which is why I now take the cap off and leave it at home. However, I also managed to shoot an entire roll of C41 with the yellow filter on my Zorki the other week. This is why I'm going off rangefinders- I'm too daft to use them properly and prefer the WYSIWYG joy of a nice SLR.

If you use Photoshop, wouldn't dialling out a load of yellow restore colours back to where they were intended? Never done that one - yet - but at least you could convert to black and white and get some usable shots - and no-one would ever need to know  ;) :o

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »
If you use Photoshop, wouldn't dialling out a load of yellow restore colours back to where they were intended? Never done that one - yet - but at least you could convert to black and white and get some usable shots - and no-one would ever need to know  ;) :o

Possibly, but the yellow will cut out a lot of the contrast in the blue bit of the spectrum. I'll see how bad it is when I develop the roll. I can always pretend it's expired / cross processed / shot on instagram  ;)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »
Haha. All the gear and no idea.

Of course, I NEVER did this with a rangefinder.  :o
L.

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
Fancy a giggle?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »
Me neither. Definitely not. Not even once. Nope.

I have sort of gone off rangefinders myself, though that may be a protective mental attitude to stop me getting jealous when I go out on photo walks with people who have Leicas.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
Well, I wonder if it's any better to do this or do like my dad and shoot an entire trip to Niagara with no film in the camera  :o
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »
Oh, I wandered around a disused drive-in in Texas a few years ago wondering why the film wind-on was so slack on the hassy, only to find as I went to change the film, there was no film in the damn camera! Luckily, I was still there, so, after huffing and puffing a bit I loaded the camera back up and went and re-shot everything. I have to admit, my heart really wasn't in it and the results reflect that.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
That's funny, couldn't happen to me because I'm so chaotic I lose the lens caps within 30 mins of opening the box :)

The funniest thing that's happened to me was trying to take out a 120 roll from a 1920's folder and the film unravelled a little.
My reaction was to shove the camera into my left armpit under my jacket and sink to my knees–my wife thought I'd had a heart attack.

Film came out OK with only a tiny bit of fogging...
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »
I've done this with a Holga. I've never done it with a Leica, but am keen to try. If someone wants to give me a Leica I'll report back when I do it.

Deal?

Phil: Me too on the 'no film' story...almost in every detail (other than the camera type and the location). Bah!

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »
Old thread but a new own-goal

Looking through a sheet of newly developed negs from the Holga I've just noticed that despite always shooting the square format on 120 I've been turning the camera vertically for portrait format shots :-[
Too much 35mm!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
Harvey - that is such a brilliant mistake. I did it quite a few times with my old mamiya 6. It's Almost perfect because:

1. It makes you feel like a bit of an idiot, like all good mistakes should;

2. It doesn't actually mess anything up - the shot is still won; and,

3. No non-tog notices the mistake.

L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
You too?
Everytime I go to turn it in "portrait" orientation, I wonder why the heck I'm doing so. Lucky for me, I correct as I go.
I do the same with Diana F+....... strange habits.
Francois

Emma

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
I'm forever turning my portrait mask Coronet sideways to take a portrait photo then having to quickly change it back as I'm about to press the trigger. So easy to do, it's virtually automatic!
twitter: @effy_yeomans

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 06:12:37 PM »
I've forgotten to take the dark slide out on occasion.  ...but that's on purpose just to test things out, you see...

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
Fancy a giggle?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
Lens caps are of the devil. I leave them at home (and usually lose them).

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
This is why I started to shoot models, so I had someone to tell me when I left the lens cap on.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 12:55:46 AM »
I can't laugh at this guy. I once did an entire shoot... and FORGOT TO PUT FILM IN THE CAMERA!!!

I was young, and was taking photos for the front of the company magazine. I was extremely nervous because I had all of the CEO's and Presidents and VP's of the company in front of me. After 30 minutes I realized that I had been shooting without film!! I was so nervous that I forgot to put a roll in!
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
I once did an entire shoot... and FORGOT TO PUT FILM IN THE CAMERA!!!
Funny, my dad had the same technique in Niagara when I was a kid :)
Francois

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »
The REALLY sad part, is that I just did it again the other day! LOL!

Although this time it was just an oversight. I guess it was due to all those brain cells I killed in my 20's.
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Fancy a giggle?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:36 AM »
Actually this has nothing to do with photography. As the lone Canadian male who is not turned to mush by its powerful rays, I can speak objectively. He was rendered dumbfounded by being so close to the glorious shrine known as Lord Stanley's Cup. (Yes, the clip is clearly from the Motor City, but that is a part of the US that falls under the cup's spell.)
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 05:50:32 AM »
Ha! I've seen this before, gets me every time! I take my RF lens cap with me, but it usually lives in my back pocket the whole day.
Another thing, I don't wear sunglasses ever, but if any of you do, do you look through your viewfinder with them on? That just seems wrong to me....