Author Topic: The Karkhunkierros  (Read 2012 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
The Karkhunkierros
« on: November 28, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »
The Karkhunkierros (Bear's Trail in English) is one of Finland's most popular hiking trails which stretches for 80km through the Oulanka National Park in Northern Finland.  The trail passes through pristine pine forest, along riverbanks and passing by a myriad of lakes giving the walker a taste of the vast northern wilderness.

The Oulanka National Park is home to wolves, bears, moose, elk, and lynx none of whom deigned to appear before the camera of a lone English hiker.  Even without the wildlife the trail reveals some beautiful landscapes and a tranquility not to be found near human habitation.

I walked the trail in August of this year, shortly before I was due to start work again and these photos are a record of that short trip.  Since then tranquility and wilderness are two concepts that are becoming a distant, if not fond, memory but I hope these images convey at least a fraction of the beauty to be found in Finland's forests.

Holga plus Portra for those that care about such things

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: The Karkhunkierros
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »
 Some more.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »
These are beautiful shots Charles! They remind me of my hike along the Kungsleden in Sweden (which isn't really surprising).

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
Lovely. The car and the hut are my favorites.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »
Fabulous set, Charles.  For me, it would be the boardwalk and the hut that I'd hang on my walls.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:35:53 AM »
that abandoned car is great. would have loved a shot at it too.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »
We frequently went to scandinavia for vacation, we were hiking, paddling, driving, but only one single time we met an elk early at 3 am on an abandoned road, and once we saw the trace of a bear in the sand near a river. 1 Lemming (yeehaw!), and of course tons of reindeers but no red-nosed Rudy :-(

The first of the images is my fav. Viva napapiiri.

Here's a shot my girlfriend did. I'm the one standing in the front.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:16:44 AM by imagesfrugales »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »
great. now I'm even more homesick!

haha don't mind me, these shots are splendid :) the plastic lens desaturates the colour in a way that suit these shots really well -to my eyes atleast.
/jonas

johnha

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 12:35:46 AM »
I really like the atmospheric look to these. Numbers 1, 3, 4, 5 & 7 are my favourites and these do give clues to the beauty, scale and remoteness of the location. Every wilderness seems to have a derelict car somewhere. Beautiful shots and a great essay to put them into perspective.

For some reason skies always look much better to me in medium format than smaller formats, these demonstrate that still holds true even with a plastic lens.