Author Topic: Anyone out there shoot with a Fuji GW690?  (Read 6187 times)

6cmsquare

Anyone out there shoot with a Fuji GW690?
« on: October 01, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »
I love the 6x9cm format, but lugging around the Press Camera can be a hassle, I'm thinking about selling off a few of my other "toys" and picking one up.
Anyone have any thoughts? Is there a "best model" to look for? Difference between the Mark II & III?
Thank you in advance for any advice you deem fit.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: Anyone out there shoot with a Fuji GW690?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:07 PM »
I did a review of this camera. It's in the articles section I believe.

You should wait for scapevision to weigh in. He had the GW that I tried out and now has a G690BL now.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »
I have a Fuji GSW680 III - the japanese 6x8 version, which luckily no one bought off me when I offered it for sale.
It's a bulky camera, for a "single use device" quite unwieldy for a travel camera, it is however very easy to use and focus, but most importantly the lens is spectacular and the negatives from the Fuji are just so nice..
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »
I had the G690BL with 100mm f3.5 lens. And it was a spectacular performer. The lens tack sharp. Rangefinders I generally like and find easy to use, this was no exception. The finder on mine was big and bright enough. It may be heavy and unwieldy compared to many other cameras, certainly. But not when you compare to other 6x9 options. The Mamiya Universal/Press or XL series' are bigger and heavier, the Polaroid 600SE as well. Not to mention the Konica Omega press cameras. Can't really think of many 6x9 options apart from an elderly folder, that can compete sizewise. The GW690 are a tad more compact, and quite a bit lighter. Not having used one, I can't say if it matters much one way or the other.

I got rid of mine in fit of anti-GAS, seeing as I have quite a few 6x9 options already. All of them being DIY mods or builds, I found the G690BL the easiest sell. I rather regret it.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »
I have had three different ones + the  G690BL I bought from Ezzie.
The II version feels more solid than the more "plastic" III that has the advantage of better ergonomic grip.
Performance wise I could not tell them apart. They are big and unrefined, quit loud and very solid. The results are nothing short of superb. It´s the pick up truck of cameras  ;) I ended up selling mine as i found it unpractically large for my (travel-snapshot)use, a ga645zi has taken it´s place.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
I used to have the Fuji GW670III. Very solidly built and the lens was one of the sharpest I've ever owned.

The retractable lens hood was a bit of a pain as it obscured about a quarter of the viewfinder when in use. I eventually sold it as I couldn't get on with the 6x7 aspect ratio. Put the money towards a Bronica SQAi which I still use to this day.
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »
I had a GW690 (first version). The results were stellar but the rangefinder spit was a bit dim. I've heard the later versions have better finders.

Unfortunately they are quite loud even though they have a leaf shutter. There are rumors that it's possible to somehow disengage something to make them quiet but I'm not even sure if that's true.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:32:11 AM »
I hear that the exposure noise is not form the lens shutter but from the shot counter.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:26:52 AM »
So did I, but I couldn't find anything on the internet that actually confirms this. Maybe once I'm a millionaire I'll just get one open it up and rip out stuff. :P

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
So did I, but I couldn't find anything on the internet that actually confirms this. Maybe once I'm a millionaire I'll just get one open it up and rip out stuff. :P

It looks like the mechanism for the shutter counter are pretty easy to access under the bottom plate if you fancy giving it a go =)
I opened one of mine once as it was rattling and found a screw bouncing around in there. That said, the Makina 67 is also quit loud and have no counter...
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

6cmsquare

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
Well-I took the plunge, and opted for an all metal pre-shotcounter model G690BL - and I have to say, I'm quite pleased.  I don't find the shutter sound to be that excessive, although loading the film reminds me of kick-starting an old vespa. The image quality is awesome, it's a bit heavier than I had imagined (2 kilos) -it does have a little shutter locking anomaly though....

About 1 shot per roll, of the 3 rolls i've pulled through it, will not fire. in all instances I will have pre-wound it, and been walking around with in hanging upside-down on my tripod mount strap. pull it up to take a shot, and the shutter button won't depress, -when I removed the lens to re-wind the shutter i find it still wound, yet the film won't advance either - if I flip it into "sheet" mode I then can advance to the next frame, but waisting the "stuck" frame. maybe a film winder overhaul is in order?
in any case, still pretty happy with it.

here's a shot from the test roll..
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
It most probably just needs a bit of oil in one of the internal mechanical switches.
My guess is the linkage from the shutter button stays in the down position or something like that.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

6cmsquare

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 12:52:19 AM »
It most probably just needs a bit of oil in one of the internal mechanical switches.
My guess is the linkage from the shutter button stays in the down position or something like that.

Sure enough Francois,
Removed the 4 screws, and the winding lever and the top easily slid off. Found the winding mechanism gears were all gummed up with dried up old grease. Applied a little ronsonal on a q-tip and cleaned them up, seems to be working a lot smoother now... well see how it does tomorrow.
-Cleaned up all the optics in the view finder while I was there.

-Hunter S. Thompson

scapevision

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »
Well, I am late to the party, I did own a GW690II, as SLAVER pointed out. It was somewhat awkward in terms of focal length for me, a bit wide, but not wide enough. I liked using it, despite its size. The big sound didn't bother me until SLAVER pointed it out. I sold it later because I needed money, and wanted to minimize my "collection". Later bought a G690BL with a 100mm, which I still shoot. In fact, I just took it to Arizona, it was my only camera. Totally worth it. Shots coming soon.
I found the contrast in the GW lens too much grit for me, I prefer a more dreamy rendition, hence the older G690.