Author Topic: Last weekend in Jan 27th- 29th  (Read 1340 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Last weekend in Jan 27th- 29th
« on: January 27, 2023, 09:29:05 PM »
went out and played with my Half Plate film in the Marion & Co mahogany and brass camera with a recently acquired Busch's Rapid Aplanat No2 8" brass lens

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
Re: Last weekend in Jan 27th- 29th
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 10:57:54 PM »
We've had a remarkably rainy winter in Southern California this year. It finally dried out enough for me to drag out my Mamiya C3 and newly-acquired 55/4.5. One of the interesting aspects of the lens is that there's enough bellows draw on the camera to allow near 1:1 images at close distance. I was in the midst of testing this on a rosemary flower when the bee popped into frame at an opportune time.

Portra 400

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 11:11:24 PM »
Here's another one from early this winter.
It was Demolition Time...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 05:07:29 PM »
already the end of January!

mine's a beach shot from Texas. It was crazy cold, but the seagulls never care as long as there's crumbs to follow!
Cheapie 5Below plastic camera with expired Fuji 400 superia.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 09:16:40 PM »
mine's a beach shot from Texas. It was crazy cold, but the seagulls never care as long as there's crumbs to follow!
Cheapie 5Below plastic camera with expired Fuji 400 superia.
So you did manage to do something with it?
I know the guy from Sweet Lou Photography on Youtube was so disappointed by his one that he chucked it in a trash container.

As for seagulls, they don't like winters around here... come to think of it, there isn't much that like winters around here  ;D
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 12:15:04 AM »
Still working on my last pack of Fujifilm FP-100c.  This is Rachael shot with the Polaroid Land Camera 100 using the Close-Up Kit #583 and an M3B flash bulb. 

Rachael by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 07:03:15 AM »
Great pictures everyone!  :)
This one is an older shot, originally on Kodak Ektar 100. I also used this for the postcard exchange. Now I made a black and white version and printed it as platinum toned kallitype.

Oak Forest

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 11:14:24 AM »
Wow, that's a very nice print Manuel, well done!
I too was out testing "new" gear this week, it was a lovely day with a cloud "lid" but with blue sky all around the horizon. The seller said everything was working, and it did indoors in 20C. But -1C is a different story, and when even the mirror takes two to three seconds to return then you have a problem.
So here is an old one from the old town in Stavanger.

Contax 167MT / Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 / Ilford Delta 400
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 09:42:31 PM »
What a great weekend thread! I think this film was too far past it's "best by" date. It was T-max 100 at one time. I think it expired around 2000 which isn't usually too much of a game-changer, but I think the Caffenol had a bit too much KBr (restrainer) in it and so a little under-exposed and a lot under-developed. There was also a problem where the anti-halation didn't come off all the way from half of the roll. Thankfully, the scanner can still make something of it.

The picture was taken on Christmas day when there was a particularly low tide after a very high "king tide". So people were out tidepooling. My "shadow selfie" is in the foreground and the "Mushroom House" is in the background.

S2a-Tmax-006_sm by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 04:40:51 PM »
I got the focus off on my bodged up 16mm film strip scanning set up. This was checking the fluid volume of my home built developing tank.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 08:57:19 PM »
I got the focus off on my bodged up 16mm film strip scanning set up. This was checking the fluid volume of my home built developing tank.
Did you make the spool too?
Francois

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 09:08:55 PM »
Yeah, a friend printed out the GNAL reel in PET-G
https://sixteenmillimeter.com/projects/GNAL/

The design is missing a simple spacer, which I drew up and printed, and the top spindle is really not strong enough when printed, but got the job done.

I will be making a video on that build.
Mark

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 02:41:19 PM »
I'll have to check out the project. Thanks.
I'm tempted to try out my grandpa's bolex double 8 camera but I need a way to process the film without breaking the bank. I've been tempted to design a morse tank inspired contraption, but I'll have to save it for later as I'm really struggling these days with the design of a modular 35mm pinhole camera... This thing is really annoying as there are a gazillion little things to adjust and fit. 120 would have been so easy when compared to this thing!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 02:46:46 PM by Francois »
Francois

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 08:31:18 PM »
From everything I have read (and trust me I have scoured the internet for this stuff), the Lomo style tanks are much easier to get reliable results with than the Morse style. That GNAL reel loads really well. I'd never loaded a film like that, but got it first try without too much faffing in the dark.
Mark

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 09:12:07 PM »
The thing with Morse type tanks is that the film spends a very short amount of time in the developer between the rolls. I was planning on adding a long snaking path in between both spools to compensate for that. Also, they would benefit from having some type of motorization to keep travel speeds constant.

But I'll have to check the spool out. It reminds me a lot of the old Lomo reels which have a very good reputation when it comes down to reliability.
Francois

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 10:13:06 PM »
I suspect it that the spindle parts are a direct copy. There is one spacer missing on that site, but it is a simple part.
Mark

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 10:15:18 PM »
Once (if?) Orwo Un54 returns to stock, I would like to try stand developing it in Caffenol C-L, in this set up.
Mark

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 10:44:48 PM »
I personally hope that they copied the best parts. Why re-invent the wheel when you can do otherwise?
Francois