Author Topic: Fungus among us...er on my lens  (Read 742 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Fungus among us...er on my lens
« on: December 13, 2022, 03:31:15 PM »
It's always a dilemma..taking a risk on a camera that has fungus on the lens.
My cute Zenobia 6x4.5 has fungus. It always has and I never used it much because of that.
Yesterday, a friend gave me a recipe( half hydrogen peroxide, half ammonia) that I used to "try" and get the fungus off.
It didn't work. The fungus is between the elements, so I need to disassemble the lens a bit more that I did and possible soak it longer.
In the meantime, here's a photo made yesterday of one of my favorite trees at an old truck stop near here on Route 66.

Tri x in caffenol.
After the winter break, I may try again to remove the fungus, although some have said leave it since it gives this foggy/frosty effect on the photos.
I don't know, I'm still sitting on the fence about cleaning...
What do you think?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Fungus among us...er on my lens
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 04:46:06 PM »
Hopefully it's not between cemented elements.  I have heard of that same mix of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, just make sure you use it in a well ventilated area.  The mold may have etched the glass but you won't know that until you clean it.  I would give it a shot, I've had moldy lenses cleaned with great results. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 05:48:01 PM »
Fungus can be cleaned surprisingly easily though you'll never get rid of the effects if it's etched the surface. I start with the least obnoxious and work up. I've never had to resort to the peroxide/ammonia mix. Start with a basic non-alcoholic lens cleaner. That often works. Try IPA if it doesn't then acetone. Use a good quality lens tissue, I use Kimtech - not sure if they're available in the US - I used to use Opto-wipes when I could get them for free.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:29:17 PM »
If it's not between the elements, I've heard that hand sanitizer with a gentle rubbing between the fingers does get the fungus out.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.