Author Topic: 1shot film from new55  (Read 9102 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
1shot film from new55
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »
they put it up to support their making of the instant film. basically it's bw iso 100 film in separate sheets.

http://shop.new55.net/collections/frontpage/products/1shot

We will produce 1SHOT with New55 FILM’s selected Atomic-X, cubic grained standard weight 4x5 sheet film that we rate at ISO 100. You can develop 1SHOT any way you like: monobath, conventional tray, or even send it out to your favorite lab. 1SHOT is not an instant film! But it is fast, and convenient.

SPECIFICATIONS:

1 box contains 5 single-sheet packs
4x5 negative only
works in the Polaroid 545 series holders
for monobath or regular darkroom development

and most importantly:
With every box of 1SHOT you buy, $25 is contributed to the development of New55 FILM. THANK YOU!!! :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:11:54 PM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: 1shot film from new55
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Jonas.  I just bough a Polaroid 545 holder, so I will have to "invest" in a pack or two of this new film.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

FrankE

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »
can you educate an instant film "newbie"
how will this one shot film work

do you simply insert the single sheet of film in the 545 holder
take a shot, pull it through the rollers of holder and let it develop
since it says 4x5 negative only I am assuming that is all you get

do you have to do anything else with the negative (i.e. fixing , water bath etc?)

thx in advance

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
Hi Frank.

Not as far as this new film is concerned.  This One Shot film is not an instant film.

Kodak, Fuji and probably others made single shot traditional process film which was encased in light-proof paper and could be shot using (by way of one example) a Polaroid 545 holder without the film having to be loaded, in darkness, into dark-slides.  Once exposed, the single shot film is retracted into its paper casing and you can then process it at home or send to your favourite lab.

Polaroid also used to make various colour and B&W "peel apart" films - such as Type 55.  These, apart from long-expired stock on auction sites and in a few peoples' freezers, are now long-gone. However, a Kickstarter campaign was launched to produce a "New Type 55" peel apart film which will produce a positive print and a negative which can be salvaged and used to print further versions. It's launch is anticipated with some interest as their websites show samples that are stunning.

There is, however, some doubt as to when (or whether) New Type 55 will actually go on sale.  The link, above, suggests there is a funding gap and that people who buy this new One Shot film will be contributing to reducing the funding gap and, hopefully, make delivery of the New Type 55 more certain. 

Hope this helps.  Paul.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
One thing that sucks about living on the west coast is that by the time I read this in my email, it was sold out. Good for New 55, bad for me.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »
well written, Paul.

I guess it's something like this but besides cracking the dev pods while pulling out and being able to peel apart for a done picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0q1bD6Kzo8
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
One thing that sucks about living on the west coast is that by the time I read this in my email, it was sold out. Good for New 55, bad for me.

........and probably the rest of us.  At this rate, they'll fill their funding gap no bother..... :o

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »
bummer! hopefully they'll make more soon.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
These were like the old Kodak Readyloads...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 01:09:05 AM »

There will be more to come!  :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 04:01:55 AM »

Indeed! It is almost as if they read this post! :)

"If you are from California and missed the offer, don't worry, there will be another batch in the Shop soon."
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 08:43:17 AM »
These were like the old Kodak Readyloads...

and fuji the quickload 4x5, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BU1gTSdZ90

"If you are from California and missed the offer, don't worry, there will be another batch in the Shop soon."

64 in stock now  8)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »
Right.
The only difference is in how the loaders work.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »

64 in stock now  8)
[/quote]

Nope. Sold out again.
Flickr
Blogger

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 11:05:27 AM »
30 odd packs back in stock (100 initally so selling fast) now with reasonable Europe postage rates  :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
Well - I got a text yesterday telling me that a new batch was available, so I jumped in and got a pack..... 8)

As I've now got the Tutone, all lensed-up and with a Polaroid 545 on the back, all I've got to do now is wait for it to arrive and work out how to "salvage" the negative(s)  :o

Anyone actually used any of this stuff?  Tips and advice welcomed.....

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »
Very keen to see how you get on, Paul. No tips from me I'm afraid....but it's definitely my kind of thing, so let's home it works out well.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
This seems to be the best resource for it at the moment: https://new55film.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
This seems to be the best resource for it at the moment: https://new55film.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Thanks Urban.

I'm still looking forward to getting the New Type 55 but I've just read the instructions for use and seen that I'll need a tray of 50% Ilford Rapid fixer on hand to fix and clean the goo off the negative and a ready supply of room temperature water to rinse it.  I was hoping to use it "in the field" but it sounds like I may only be able to use it for still life studies and portraits - and so long as I've got my chems and trays at the ready.

I've left a message on the board and I will post a copy of any response received.

Cheers, Paul.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:41 PM »

Thanks Urban.

I'm still looking forward to getting the New Type 55 but I've just read the instructions for use and seen that I'll need a tray of 50% Ilford Rapid fixer on hand to fix and clean the goo off the negative and a ready supply of room temperature water to rinse it.  I was hoping to use it "in the field" but it sounds like I may only be able to use it for still life studies and portraits - and so long as I've got my chems and trays at the ready.

I've left a message on the board and I will post a copy of any response received.

Cheers, Paul.

Paul,

You can still use it in the field and fix, rinse later when home. With the 545 holders you are able to load, shoot, and then remove the film packet without spreading the chemistry. You can then reload the packet when ready to fix and pull it through to spread the chemistry.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
Not sure how they can get away with having a Kickstarter and not sending out the rewards they were committed to, then just going on their way selling their product. Seems to me that's fraud and they should be prosecuted.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
They are fulfilling them, in the order they were backed. I think their FAQ website shows the order if this... You could see how far away yours is...

And one shot is totally separate to the new55 product on the kickstarter, but bring used to raise funds.