Author Topic: 3200 asa - advice required.  (Read 1776 times)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
3200 asa - advice required.
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with this film.     I like the idea of it and I see a lot of stuff online that I like.  Once in a blue moon I see stuff that I love... and its generally when the grain isnt golf ball sized  - I cant seem to work out how to consistently achieve that look though?    I generally rate at 1600asa and dev accordingly - usually in Aculux 3. sometimes its lovley  - majority of times its just not.....   is there any way I can take more control of my grain?

An example im keen on.....

wife and madison by This-is-rice, on Flickr

usually get this

15 by This-is-rice, on Flickr

Any advice?

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: 3200 asa - advice required.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
are you talking about Delta 3200? I'm sure leon could shed some light (pun) on what ilford recommends.

What I find works for me is Xtol, stock and minimal agitation. I figure that if agitation enhances grain a more powerful developer to lessen the amount of agitations needed would decrease grain.

You could maybe also experiment with higher temperatures? But I thought that higher temps increased grain?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Yeah, high temperatures increase grain as it makes the developer more active.

Usually, those high sensitivity films have a real tested sensitivity that's much lower than what is said on the labels.
For Delta 3200, its real ISO is 1000. Exposing at 1600 is effectively underexposing and pushing the film a fraction of a stop.
If you're taking pictures in a place that has a lot of contrasty areas, you could even overexpose it and under-develop the film. This will allow you to get more tones in and keep grain in check.

Grain appears when there is underexposure most of the time.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:43:41 AM »
Grain appears when there is underexposure most of the time.

That's what I said on flickr! Someone decided they were correct and that underexposure isn't actually grain but digital noise. They also contested that D76 wasn't a crunchy developer. I always found it to enhance grain quite a bit. Their reasoning was since over exposed frames have more silver exposed to light the grain is enhanced by the fact that they are exposed and not just nothing. Theoretically it might make sense, but in the real world i've experienced quite the opposite.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
I usually use Kodak 3200.  Maybe thats it then, I should expose it as 1000 asa film... ill give it a whirl.. has every ever tried stand dev with 3200 asa film?   

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
Like has been said this is a 1000 ISO film designed to be pushed.
 In contrasty bright conditions it may not be the best choice and should be rated at 800-1000 and develop to control contrast.

Delta has marginally more grain than TMZ IMHO but as the Kodak film is gone and I shoot mainly 120 Delta has been my choice

With the images you posted your second shot is fairly typical of lowish light with this film, the first looks a little overcooked IMO.

If you want to minimise grain and get speed I think DDX/Microphen are good choices although in Medium format I use Rodinal  :o

The 120 has nice tones in Rodinal and controlled grain (better still in DDX)

backstage by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:40:45 PM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »
I've used Ilfords Delta 3200 shot at 3200 and shot at 1600 and pushed to 3200 and prefer the latter. Likewise Fuji 1600 pushed to 3200 has been pretty good, but I don't like the Kodak 3200 grain at all, though I've not had the chance to try that at other ratings so far and only have one left. Both the latter are no longer made or so I understand, so I'm hoping Ilford will stick with their product list. 

The saxophonist's dressing room shot is lovely!

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
Agree - that shot is lovely, great tones etc

I will give it a whirl

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »
I know this should probably be on the "for sale, swaps and trades" board but, while we're on the subject, I've got 6 or 7 rolls of expired Fuji 1600 that I'm very unlikely to everuse.  So, if anyone wants it, please PM me and I'll happily send it to you(assuming in the UK / EU).
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »
The great thing about Ilford Delta 3200 is that you can push the hell out of it. If you process the film with DDX speeds of up to 25,000 are possible.