Author Topic: 3000ER?  (Read 1963 times)

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
3000ER?
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
I have a Polaroid EE 100, and a Reporter model pack film camera. I keep them because I like the "extended range" setting for FP3000B film.

But I've never shot FP100C on the 3000ER setting. What could I expect by doing so?

Since the ER setting controls aperture, could I compensate for the over exposure by turning the lighten/darken wheel more towards darken?
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: 3000ER?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
if you set your camera to 3000 and put 100 speed film in it you would under expose it by about 5 stops. Combining that with the lighten darken wheel set to full darken would probably bring that to 6 stops or more. You cant really do that, though ive never tried. My pack cameras have a hard time exposing the 100 speed film at 75! let alone 3000. Capacitors in the electric eye seem to be going. You could try setting your camera to full lighten and maybe you would get an underexposed result by maybe 3 or 4 stops?

Likewise, i have shot 3000 speed film at 75iso at full darken and gotten decent results.

Untitled by nownownownow, on Flickr

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
Does the ER setting govern shutter speeds too, or just aperture?
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
I don't know but I've always been under the impression that all pack cameras had fixed aperture.
From what I can tell on the LandList, the ER setting is to be able to use 3000 ISO pack film at an aperture greater than f/58.
That means blazing fast shutter. That's all.

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam-pack.htm#cat-packfns

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 07:58:46 AM »
As far as I know, all auto Polaroid - either folding, or hard case - the shutter speed is controlled by a combination of the prevailing light & the Light / Dark control only; you cannot influence it. Any other controls, levers, or sliders alter the aperture. For either 'Color', 'B&W', or 'Inside' settings. Usually, the 3000ISO settings use a very small (f64 or similar aperture), negating the need to focus with close to infinite DoF. For example the 'Inside' setting change the exposure calculation, leaving the widest aperture (eg: f9 or 11) for use inside without a flash...

Further insight can be gained by changing the manual controls when looking at the back of the lens. You can see the aperture plates altering accordingly.

Hopefully, that makes sense, and if so you should be able to apply to any auto Polaroid and film setting? With the right understanding, you can tweak various settings, and trick the camera. This photograph for example was taken with ISO3000 film, manually timed in low light (by releasing the shutter manually). Skj.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:01:41 AM by Skorj »