Author Topic: 365 Pinhole  (Read 3624 times)

Steven.

• Peel Apart
365 Pinhole
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
Anyone else see this? I just read this and thought it was pretty amazing. I never messed with pinhole before so it's kind of amazing to me that something came out so nice looking after being exposed for so long. enjoy!

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1109339--photographer-michael-chrisman-s-year-long-exposure-of-toronto-s-skyline-produces-dreamy-image-of-city?bn=1#article

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: 365 Pinhole
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
Our very own Astrobeck has also done these pinhole solarprints. But her's don't have skyscrapers in the image.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
True, mine are usually from my yard, as the one below is that was aimed at my observatory.
Or some are just left around in the desert for me to retrieve later.

I have built and deployed over 100 pinhole cameras like this in the past 5 years.
I truly sympathize with him on some of his cameras being stolen, vandalized, etc.
A couple of mine that were stationed near an observatory in Houston were taken away by vultures.
Apparently there's something in the smell of plastic that attracts buzzards.   ::)
Another one in Arizona was opened by a suspicious repairman, but the solargraph was still salvaged.
Fun!   :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:09:31 PM by astrobeck »

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »
this is a well cool process!

something I hqve yet to try - pinhole!

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »
True, mine are usually from my yard, as the one below is that was aimed at my observatory.

I have built and deployed over 100 pinhole cameras like this in the past 5 years.
I truly sympathize with him on some of his cameras being stolen, vandalized, etc.
A couple of mine that were stationed near an observatory in Houston were taken away by vultures.
Apparently there's something in the smell of plastic that attracts buzzards.   ::)
Another one in Arizona was opened by a suspicious repairman, but the solargraph was still salvaged.
Fun!   :)

this is awesome. i would be so paranoid leaving a camera out like that haha props to you.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »

Becky - when you're leaving it as long as that do you go for the smallest pinhole possible? I think you've said before it's normally a film canister you use, is that right?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
I took this one with a pinhole made out of a biscuit tin - left for 6 weeks or so last autumn taped to our bedroom balcony.  The tape gave out after four weeks so I taped the camera back in position but upside down.  It's a nice effect though.

Astrobeck - Arizona is clearly ALOT sunnier than Broxbourne! :(

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »
Charles- a couple of mine have shifted position over time.  I tape them a lot, then tape them some more.
I like the flipped effect.  That's neat.

Nigel- yes, as small as is possible without being too small if that makes any sense.  If a pinhole is too small, then it can be less than ideally sharp.  I do use old black film canisters.  I also use biscuit and cookie tins.  The film canisters are convenient because I have and can get a lot of them, and they are "stealthy" in the wild.  Camo duct tape is one of the best inventions!  ;)

p.s.  Charles, that would make a really nice spot to do a 6 month long solargraph.  I like the Sun's path through the trees.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:58:46 PM by astrobeck »

astrobeck

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
Here's a pile of my stash of solargraph cameras...

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
Again Beckster, you are the pinhole QUEEN!! Do you put regular film in those canisters or paper?
and Charles, way to go..that is an incredible image!!

astrobeck

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
always paper in these, since I leave them unattended for so long.

:)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Astrobeck - thanks & I had thought of a 6 month exposure - but the only problem is that when the trees out the back have leaves they'd hide the sun.  I need to try a different location.

Diane thanks as well.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
Just to let you all know I've begun installing some of Becky's film can pinholes around the yard. Back in six months to see how they turn out :)

BTW, using the sticky aluminum duct tape makes making them so much easier!
Francois

astrobeck

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 03:25:30 AM »
Oh cool!
I really like seeing how the sunny and cloudy day ratios work out!    :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
Right now, it would be 10 days cloudy for 1 day sun...
Francois