Author Topic: 35mm film processing  (Read 1403 times)

DaveO

35mm film processing
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
     I am about to finish a roll of Ektar 100 in my new to me Rollei 35S with Sonnar lens. I would like to have it processed by someone who does exceptional work at a fairly reasonable price ( processing, printing and scanning ) I want to get a really good job done since this is the first roll in this camera and I want to see how good and camera and lens are. I have posted on other forums and have been recommended NCPS and Dwaynes. Dwaynes seems pretty cheap. Does anyone have any other suggestions. The only people who do this in the town I'm in is a 1 hour CVS and Walmart who send it out.

DaveO

astrobeck

Re: 35mm film processing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE WALMART OR CVS!!!!!  Please!

I've used Dwaynes' and they are good folks.  Turnaround is fast, now that they are done with Kodachrome, so I would say go with them.

San Francisco Photoworks is another place you might try. 
Good luck and let us know who you finally use.
 :)

chris_n

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:24:13 AM »
anyone ever develop ektar at costco?  i've just picked up a couple rolls myself!  if anything i'm just gonna send them off to SF photoworks.

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 06:56:07 AM »
Yes, and they did a good job.
The Costco lab people have to go through training and from what I have experienced they are very careful with what they do.  I have also made friends with them so I think that helps.     :)

I don't use them so much anymore since I started doing my own color....

chris_n

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 07:10:07 AM »
thanks!

congrats on doing your own color stuff.. .did you get a jobo?

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »
No Jobo, just Patterson tanks.

I may eventually get a jobo though.

Good luck with your color quest!

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:05 AM »
If you want it perfect, the best lab around is Richard Photo Lab in Hollywood, CA.  They do great work, but you pay a little extra for it.

I've used NCPS a few times and they do a great job too.  Everything comes back nicely packaged and well cared for, they also do very very good scans for a great price.

If it's something you want done flawlessly by people who don't compromise quality them Richard Photo is excellent.  I also use A&I down the street from them since I get a 10% discount with my KCRW rewards card, they are a close second to Richard.