Author Topic: 1,35 V Solution.  (Read 1718 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
1,35 V Solution.
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I assume this little fellow is known outside of Japan, as a solution to otherwise unobtainable 1,35V cells. Not sure of its current capacity though, as I tried one in an old Ricoh, and equipped with an LR-44, it did not seem to be able to source enough current to trip the shutter. 1,35V metering though would probably function OK.

With an SR-44, it might function a little better... Skj.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: 1,35 V Solution.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »
I know 1.35v battery replacements have always driven me crazy. I just hope these are better than the Wein Cells which caused the meter in my Konica T3 to underexpose by a whole 3 stops (and why did they have to make the 50 and 25 ISO settings so close on the dial?)

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:28:13 PM »
Bit confused...

The LR44 is 1.5V not 1.35V.

As to current. The LR44 and other similar alkaline batteries often don't have the current capacity of the mercury batteries they are often used to replace. Silver Oxide or Lithium ones are better. The other problem with the alkalines is the steady decrease in voltage whereas the mercury ones had a fairly constant output until they died.

It all depends on the camera though. Some will work fine with almost anything if they've been designed to cope with voltage fluctuations and don't have much current requirement but others will either only partially work if they have a high current requirement for some functions or may suffer from exposure variations if they've used a crappy circuit for the meter.

I bought a bench PSU just for the purpose of testing cameras to see what exposure variations they give for a range of voltages and I also measure the current drawn. Then it's possible to make an informed decision as to what replacement batteries will work.

<gripe mode>Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation around about suitable alternative batteries and it causes a lot of people to go down roads they don't necessarily need to take. And some of that information comes from people who should know better or who claim to know what they are talking about when they don't.</gripe mode>

If anyone wants batteries for old cameras, I've found the best place to go is the Small Battery Company.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
If anyone wants batteries for old cameras, I've found the best place to go is the Small Battery Company.

I'll second that - I've used them lots and never had any problems with their suggestions/ supply.
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:58:16 AM »
The LR44 is 1.5V not 1.35V.

Indeed. This solution involves an adapter (the black thing) that accepts an LR or SR-44 and with an internal Zenner makes a 1,35V cell.

As to current. The LR44 and other similar alkaline batteries often don't have the current capacity of the mercury batteries they are often used to replace. Silver Oxide or Lithium ones are better. The other problem with the alkalines is the steady decrease in voltage whereas the mercury ones had a fairly constant output until they died.

Yup! Hence my suggestion to use an SR- over an LR- because of the greater current potential from the silver-oxide cell.

It all depends on the camera though. Some will work fine with almost anything if they've been designed to cope with voltage fluctuations and don't have much current requirement but others will either only partially work if they have a high current requirement for some functions or may suffer from exposure variations if they've used a crappy circuit for the meter.

The Ricoh I tried this in, did not function because of just this, as the battery was used to power the shutter, not just the meter. Whereas a camera with a 1,35V need just for a light meter would have less current need.

I bought a bench PSU just for the purpose of testing cameras to see what exposure variations they give for a range of voltages and I also measure the current drawn. Then it's possible to make an informed decision as to what replacement batteries will work.

I use a stand-alone PSU and a Fluke DMM for the same purpose. Nothing like the snap of an over current fuse!

<gripe mode>Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation around about suitable alternative batteries and it causes a lot of people to go down roads they don't necessarily need to take. And some of that information comes from people who should know better or who claim to know what they are talking about when they don't.</gripe mode>

A common problem of the internet. Everyone is an electronic engineer, and an expert. Me included.

Thanks! I will check them out!

Here's another:

Skj.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:04:46 AM by Skorj »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »
Sorry Skorj, I didn't realise the black thing was an adapter, hence my confusion.

Also, just to clarify, none of the above was aimed at you. The misinformers are generally those who stand to make a profit out of such things, like the ones who make/sell the adapters and tell you that you must use one or your exposures will be wrong etc. etc. when, in fact in many cases it's just not true - it depends on the individual camera.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »
Sorry Skorj, I didn't realise the black thing was an adapter, hence my confusion.

Also, just to clarify, none of the above was aimed at you. The misinformers are generally those who stand to make a profit out of such things, like the ones who make/sell the adapters and tell you that you must use one or your exposures will be wrong etc. etc. when, in fact in many cases it's just not true - it depends on the individual camera.

NP! I was just banging out a few posts for the heck of it late at night, and rereading, it doesn't really make much sense anyway. There wasn't too much alcohol involved either.

You are quite correct about vested interests though too; both my 124 Mat, and QL17 function within half a stop with a conventional 1,5V cell. The recommendation would always be, to shoot a roll, and see how it runs first. Often the adapters cost more than the cameras too!

Learning new stuff from the good folks here is always interesting regardless! Arigato. Skj.