Author Topic: 1963 Ilford Selochrome film development result  (Read 2397 times)

tinm@n

• Photobeautique
1963 Ilford Selochrome film development result
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
After a real struggle getting this ancient film onto a Patterson reel I succeeded in developing it.  At first I wasn't sure it was worth the effort as there is so much noise that most of the frames are rubbish.  However, from a weird-arty perspective there is some appeal for me.  In the example I quite like the way the trees in the background blend with the noise and think there might be scope for some creative effects if I shoot the right type of thing. 

I think I'll give the Duaflex a miss for the next roll though I'm not sure which of my cameras, other than Holga (not enough exposure), I might use it with.    Maybe I'll spool it onto a 120 spindle and put it through my Hasselblad.

Any views on the result here ?  Could I have done anything differently to get a better result ?

Ilford ID11 1+1, 10mins, 21 deg, no tweaking in PS.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:42:52 AM by tinm@n »

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
Re: 1963 Ilford Selochrome film development result
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
Och weerd but woonderfool    :)   :)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:18:35 PM »
Love it. Well worth the effort!

tinm@n

• Photobeautique
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »
Ed I been meaning to ask,  are ye a real Scawtschman ?  It's juss that ye dinnae haff say "och" an awfy lot mair 'n mayst Scawtsch fawlks I ken :D Cheers the noo !

Thanks Andrea :)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:21:58 PM »
Ahh i was wondering what you meant by "noise" in your previous post. That weird patterning is pretty common in old 120 films because that's sort of the paper imprinting itself onto the emulsion, or even where the emulsion slightly sticks to the paper. Nothing you can do about it, really.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

tinm@n

• Photobeautique
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
Ah right so its between backing paper and the film all that stuff goes on is it ?  Thanks for info heather.  I'm guessing all my other (4) rolls that came with this one will be the same then. 

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 06:40:21 PM »
Och tinm@n, a wis born in de West End o' Glasgow a long, long time ago an av lived in de Glasgow area ever since,........................................ honest, so ther !!
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns