Author Topic: 2022; my favourite shot  (Read 1089 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
2022; my favourite shot
« on: December 27, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »
As we approach the end of the year how about a little reflection thread of your images fom 2022.
Just post your favourite shot taken this year and a little piece as to why it's your favourite.
It doesn't have to be necccesarily your best ( you can if you want to) just the one you personally like the most.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Re: 2022; my favourite shot
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 11:34:05 AM »
Ok I'll start
For some reason I am drawn to the sea and of course boats. I really favour this shot as I was in a bit of a foul mood after something that had occured at work and was just wanting to get home, when I drove past this stretch of coastline.
I uhmed and arred as to turn round and see if it was worth taking a shot or two and finally did.
The light was quite nice, the composition with the smaller boats pointing towards the bigger ones and the general stillness of it helped but the process of making a large format shot really lifted my mood which I can still feel today when I look at the picture.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 04:11:19 PM »
I didn't get that many opportunities to go out with the camera this year. But this one kinda makes me smile as it's just like if the two sunflowers were looking at me.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 06:56:48 PM »
This is not easy, to pick a picture out of a whole year that you like better than the rest. I think this one is more likely the one I remember best shooting. Taken in mid January one morning with barely enough light to shoot anything with 400 ISO film. In my hand I had a 1953 Zorki 1D with a 1964 20mm Russar MR-2. The motif is one of those where a rangefinder is almost useless even in good light, so I had to dial in the distance manually on the lens. The external viewfinder for the Russar has a very crude parallax adjustment, so I wasn't even sure what I would get in the frame. Wide open aperture and 1/30sec., hoping for the best. To my surprise it worked and turned out the shot I liked best on the whole roll.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 11:25:36 PM »
That is tough to choose just one, I’ve been snapping pictures like crazy this year.  I really like how the colors came out on this one, plus it brings me to a happy place.  I thought for sure I would have chosen a black and white photo when I started looking. 

Palau Pacific Resort Dock by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
Really nice thread. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

This was shot here in San Diego at the Star of India maritime museum. It is a working tall ship that spends most of its time in the harbor as a museum. I am fascinated by the rigging of these old ships and it is fun to try composing shots with it. I did some salted paper prints of this and had a couple turn out nicely, so the whole experience from composing the shot to printing was a lot of fun. Of course, having nice sunny weather in February to go out on a photo walk is nice too.
I took this with the Bronica S2a + Nikon 200/4 loaded with Tri-X 400, dev'd in Parodinal 1:25 x 7min.

Tackle by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 05:41:15 AM »
Just after college, I spent a few years as a professional jazz pianist. Now music, like photography, is just a hobby for me, but I still enjoy a chance to play. This year, an arts group set up pianos in Golden Gate park. I spent half an hour playing through some standards, and then I took this photo with the pinhole camera and tripod I had stashed in my backpack, with the Conservatory of Flowers (of which I am a member) in the background. It's my favorite "self-portrait" of all the ones I've ever taken because there's so much in it that's personally meaningful.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 07:20:15 PM »
I've had a nasty cold since Christmas and am just now getting caught up with everything. Coughing is the pits guys!

It's nice to see everyone's favorites and the reasons.
My favorite photo is from a road trip to Tucson and southern Arizona for a week where my husband and I camped with not much of a plan. We started in Hatch, New Mexico, then dallied over to Bisbee, then Patagonia State Park (we're going back) and on to Tucson and the Saguaro National Park, then on over to Yuma and back through Gila Bend and home again.
I had a Pentax SP500 and a takumar 1.8 55mm lens along for the adventure. A classic set for a classic road trip!
happy new year everyone! Stay healthy!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 08:17:24 PM »
I've had a nasty cold since Christmas and am just now getting caught up with everything. Coughing is the pits guys!
That is really not fun that's for sure. Hope you're getting over it, a lingering cough is really annoying.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.