Author Topic: Looking for Delta 100 (4x5) / PyroCat-HD dev times  (Read 2836 times)

eric rose

• 35mm
    • Eric Rose Fine Art Photography
Looking for Delta 100 (4x5) / PyroCat-HD dev times
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
I have already looked at the massive development chart and that is probably a good starting point however I want to see what our members are doing with this combination.

Please don't suggest I do my own testing, I've done plenty of that with other films and I just don't have the time for this project.

I only develop my 4x5 negs using hangers so times for tubes are of no use to me.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Looking for Delta 100 (4x5) / PyroCat-HD dev times
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:19 PM »
1:1:100 Normal agitation - 9 mins
1:1:100 semi stand - 13 mins

for use wth condensor enlarger.
L.

eric rose

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:35 AM »
1:1:100 Normal agitation - 9 mins
1:1:100 semi stand - 13 mins

for use wth condensor enlarger.

Leon do you have anything figured out for various SBR's??  What do you classify as semi-stand?

Thanks dude.

Eric

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:08:15 AM »
semi-stand for me is 1 minute constant agitation, then 4 inversions each 3 minutes.

I dont worry about SBRs etc with Pyrocat, I just let it work it's magic then print using split grade and Robert is your Mother's Brother.
L.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
Och excuse ma ognorance.......................but witz SBR's wen ther aboot  ::)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »
Ed - SBR =  Subject Brightness Range.  Careful zone system practitioners will document the SBR (readings from shadows and highlights etc) for each sheet exposed then adjust development times to ensure all negatives will print on a given paper grade with full tonal rendering - eg extend dev times for subjects with short contrast ranges and reduce times for subjects with high contrast.

This was an important thing to do in the days before multi grade papers were as good as they are now. I've never seen the point with modern materials, good compensating developers and a little bit of darkroom skill. That said, there's nothing wrong with working in this way. 
L.

eric rose

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:33:38 AM »
Well that is a good explaination, but you are missing the part where you adjust your taking asa depending on what SBR you come up with.  Low SBR would equate to a high asa and high SBR would give you a low asa.  This in combination with the adjusted development times really gives you wonderful negs to print.  It allows you even more latitude and possibilities when using multi-grade papers.  It's the old under expose over develop to increase contrast and the opposite to reduce contrast.

After 40+ years in the darkroom I kind of know my way around and still find some of these old arcane methods to give enough of a boost to the final image to make it worthwhile.  As always YMMV.

I agree with you in that for most people just shooting it and using a good compensating developer will get them 90 percent of the way there.