Author Topic: Quiet 'round here init  (Read 5787 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Quiet 'round here init
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »
Where is everyone today? Out wasting film hopefully. Me? Well thanks for asking. No, haven't shot anything. Been busy slaving over a hot stove entertaining friends for lunch - nice bit of bream you know.

But I did manage to find time to put a winning bid on this...

Needs a bit of fixing I think but should be doable. We'll see when I get it.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
Re: Quiet 'round here init
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
I carried around my polaroid camera and didn't take a single shot :( Didn't help that I spent the afternoon in a museum that didn't allow photography (with a gazillion signs everywhere saying so. They're very serious about it apparently...) and by the time we got out, it was a bit dark for using my slow ISO100 film in the no-tripodmount camera...
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »
I'm having a busy time of it at work currently so no photography for me for a few weeks unfortunately. Should all be over by Nov 25th though at which point I plan to start back on photography.

Funnily enough though I found out in the week that one of my old shots is being used in the next edition of a Norwegian architectural journal and I also got an enquiry from Time Out Publications about using a more recent snap for a book they're working on. Made me feel a bit better about life.
 :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 11:37:13 PM »
i've been working and sleeping. i took my kowa six out a couple days ago and just took some shots around phoenix for something to do. nothing too exciting.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

cmdrray

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:36:51 AM »
I'm going through 20+ cds of scanned negs from my latest Tokyo trip. You can see 'em here:
www.flickr.com/photos/jimclinefelter

okayku

• a set of postcards
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:00:27 AM »
wow peter, that looks like a beauty!

well as for me, i usually don't post much anyways, but i've been super busy with the move to Houston, getting used to trafficy, urban sprawl, studying for the CFA exam, and the new time-demanding job.  i finally had some time today to scan some film I shot a couple weeks ago, here's one i like so far :)

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:12 AM »
Well it wasn't my intention to start a 'what didn't you shoot this weekend' thread, but nice to hear about what other things people do when they're not wasting film.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

filmwast

• Administrator
  • 35mm
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:41:32 AM »
And now we have launched next collab will hopefully get a bit more activity.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »
nice bit of bream you know.

Now of course that was a "proper" local wild black sea bream- bountiful and delicious. None of your farmed or over-fished north-atlantic gilthead rubbish? The black is favoured in the Taylor household - you know it makes sense.

Instead of taking pictures, we won the Oare village quiz night last night (in the face of some stiff opposition) - Although I exepct you all saw that in the sunday papers this morning anyway.  I've also been writing an essay on civil liberties and mental illness in English and Welsh Law.  Riveting stuff I'm sure you'll agree.
L.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
Woohoo I did something! I went to the Goodbye Great Newport Street farewell to the Photographers' Gallery. It was quite cool, and free tea/coffee and cream tea! Really lovely sultana scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
I brought my polaroid 103 and used up one of my expired 667 film and a pack of FP-100B. It was a nice little party.

Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
Been down to Somerset to see Mater. Took the plane and everything :-) Flippin cold up here on the island now. Just got back on the ferry after a rough crossing. Did take a couple of SLRs wif me but not expecting anything to show you all. It is Somerset after all :-)

BTW; What is a good Bream Recipe ? Please

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 06:02:12 PM »
BTW; What is a good Bream Recipe ? Please

I use this one. Either that or just wrap the whole thing in foil along with whatever herbs or flavours you fancy - but nothing too strong - and roast for around 30 minutes. Any sea bass recipe should work as well.

I've used this one for bass with black bean sauce as well.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:05:20 PM by peter robinson »

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
Still little traffic here. Where have you all gone. Come back please! I need something to look at

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 10:22:31 PM »
Well... I'm still here (looking at my stats, I should say always here :) )

Though sadly haven't been shooting any film lately... and I blame the weather!
It's been awful and miserable for quite some time. And since I'm not much into still life, I'm kind of stuck inside scratching my head and trying to find Xmas presents for all instead...

Though I miss the chatter too...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »
I hate still life too. No, that's not true, I hate doing still life but perhaps ought to do some. Mmm

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I know I tried shooting still life when I first started in photography... and ended up with major disappointment. Not even worth the paper it was printed on. So I kind of gave up on it. Besides, I noticed there are things that look good and others that don't. Since most of my stuff fits in the "modern" category, it doesn't look good when set-up in the regular tabletop with a tablecloth by the window setup.  :(
Francois

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »
Perhaps we ought to give it a go - with whatever stuff we have. It might wake some of the others up!

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »
Zzzzzzz... Wha?!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »
Gosh, where have you been these past months Ailsa?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 11:00:22 PM »
Gosh, where have you been these past months Ailsa?
We've been feeling like abandoned puppies...  :P
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 01:37:24 PM »
... it doesn't look good when set-up in the regular tabletop with a tablecloth by the window setup.  :(

Who says still life has to be that way. Can't any arrangement of items be classed as a still life. How about...

Beef in Marsala

A row of butter pats softening in the sun

Contre-jour in the fridge
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:42:53 PM by peter robinson »

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
i like it!!!    im always interested to see the contents of a fridge,   says a lot about a person.

I recall my first trip to wenn mansions,  where one fridge was full of nothing but champagne and camera film.   from that moment on  i knew ed was the kind of person you need as a friend.

i did used to have the bottom salad drawers as my film stash  but one frantic christmas and i got moved to the cupboard under the stairs...ive never managed to recover.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »
I recall my first trip to wenn mansions,  where one fridge was full of nothing but champagne and camera film.   from that moment on  i knew ed was the kind of person you need as a friend.

I need to qual;ify this statement by saying that this was in the halcyon days before Joe and Amy were born. These days there's no film and very little champagne (we dropped down to Cava and then Prosecco, but to be honest we don't get time to drink it and when we do we end up with terrible hangovers...so we gave up on the bubbly). Film has been 'offshored' to a small fridge in the shed (donation from a friend). 

It's all very, very sad.
 ;D :D