Author Topic: Charity shop fun!  (Read 828 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Charity shop fun!
« on: August 09, 2023, 10:22:17 PM »
I just went to a charity shop and got a chance to talk to the guy who tests electronic stuff.
While chatting, I asked him if they ever get cameras. His answer totally stunned me!
He said that most of the cameras they get are of the old kind that take bobbins, so they just throw them in the trash!
I was both shocked and not surprised. When I told him that I'd be interested in having them, he took out a piece of paper and asked me my name.
He wrote "Old Cameras François" on the paper and pinned it on the wall.

So, I guess I'll be getting new toys one of these days!  8)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: Charity shop fun!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 04:31:37 PM »
Wow!
That's pretty exciting actually!
It makes me wonder what all has gone into the bin though...kind of sad to think about that aspect in a way...
But now you are the "Old Camera" guy, so that's neat.
You'll have to let us know of any treasures that come your way.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 08:56:41 PM »
There will be treasure sharing that's for sure!
I just hope they didn't throw away a Leica or a Hassy  ;D

It's funny because even if I only get cheap P&S from there, I'm still excited to see what will come down the line.

But learning that they used to throw them out does explain why they had the other day a nice small Lowepro bag with nothing in it.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 11:58:47 PM »
Most charity shops do some research when it comes to selling film cameras, or anything for that matter.  The ones that don't do research tend to have the best prices.  Throwing them out without even trying to sell them, that's ridiculous.  I hope you find some good ones.  Make sure their not trowing anything out, filters, expired film, etc.  Those are the things you rarely see in charity shops, I assume most of that stuff gets tossed. 

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 01:02:18 PM »
Some pretty low end P&S have bonkers prices these days. Oly µ come to mind.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 03:19:12 PM »
I know I'm pretty enthusiastic, especially since it's a shop that's open only on Wednesdays and is entirely run by volunteers.
Since they're in a relatively low income neighborhood not far from where I live, they tend to have some pretty good prices. That's where I get most of my shirts as there aren't a lot of people who wear the same size as I do in that area. For some reason, the medium and small sizes always seem to simply not sell. So that's a good thing for me  :)
Francois