Author Topic: suiting a scene to the camera used?  (Read 567 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
suiting a scene to the camera used?
« on: July 29, 2023, 04:58:33 PM »
After looking at the weekend threads for years....

I am wondering is we subconsciously shoot a scene type based on the camera we are using at the time.

Do we make photos of older things with older cameras. 
Vintage begats vintage?
Modern begets modern?

True we film users are for the most part using cameras that are at least 25+ years old, but you catch my drift.

Just curious on your take...

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: suiting a scene to the camera used?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 08:54:43 PM »
I never stopped to think about that...
But I do think that the ergonomics do have an effect on the shooting style. So does the amount of available frames and the lens.

Being attracted to specific scenes when using a particular camera... I guess it does make some sense as, once I know what photos a specific camera will make, I won't touch it unless I have a project for it. But it being a subconscious thing, I really don't know.

I know that if I need reliability, I go straight for my F-90x. If I need speed, I go digital (which hasn't happened in years).

I did once take photos at a skate park with a Blackbird Fly and no flash... that was a bit of a mistake 🤣

But it's true that photographing old stone buildings with a modern fully corrected lens does take away 90% of the atmosphere.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 10:20:32 PM »
I certainly look for a certain kind of subject when using an old camera with a tiny and/or dim finder. Sunny, high contrast with some bold horizontal or vertical composition helps get things dialed in. I think that my photographic 'style' (if you can call it that) is mostly gear independent, but I wouldn't say that they are completely decoupled. A Brownie Box with its ~1/30th shutter speed will certainly affect my choices. Would I shoot different subjects with a 50's slr versus a 90's AF slr? mmmmm.... I don't think so, but the subconscious is a tricky little thing.

Becky, what do you think? You asked the question, so you probably have a feel for your own answer.

Here's one from my last outing with a Brownie Box.

Paul Revere by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 02:14:21 PM »
I never think about the age of the camera that I pick when going out for a shoot, and I will shoot anything with the camera at hand. Sometimes I choose a camera based on the lens, for example if I have a camera with a soft lens I will try to exploit that. As for choosing subject matter I wonder if the age of the person behind the camera might be more important?  ;)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/