Author Topic: Lack of Tetenal and Kodak chemistry. Just saw this...  (Read 330 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Lack of Tetenal and Kodak chemistry. Just saw this...
« on: June 13, 2023, 03:58:49 PM »
From Speedgraphic.co.uk

General news: why is there no Tetenal and hardly any Kodak chemistry at present? This is the best info we can offer: Tetenal have moved head office to Hamburg after their chemical supplier went bust, and are re-sourcing from more than one European supplier. Supplies are expected to resume this autumn. Kodak Alaris sold the Kodak paper and chemistry business to their Chinese manufacturer for the Asia/Pacific market, Sino Promise, in 2020. Rumours now persist that Sino Promise is in financial trouble, so there's no likelihood of further supplies of XTOL and HC-110 in the near future. At the moment we have some D-76 in 1L packs, and T-Max dev. Kodak Alaris (sole shareholder, the UK Government) is now itself for sale. We can only hope that Eastman Kodak step up to the mark and take back film (and maybe the chemistry and paper) ownership. After all, they make all the film in EK's Rochester HQ.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: Lack of Tetenal and Kodak chemistry. Just saw this...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 08:17:59 PM »
Kodak's XTOL can easily be replaced with Adox XT-3 which is just as good if not better. I believe there is a HC-110 clone on the market as well, but I do not know who makes it. If Kodak is going to keep the current price level I don't think I will spend much money on their products. Maybe they should rethink their company structure before they go bust.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Lack of Tetenal and Kodak chemistry. Just saw this...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 10:37:36 PM »
I believe Ilfotec HC to be the same as HC-110.
https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/file/download/file/575/product/546/

They're both hydroquinone based. They both have the same dilution ratios.
I'd have to check the MSDS to know for sure, but I feel they're probably so close to one another that I wouldn't see a difference between them.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.