Author Topic: Is this still useful...  (Read 788 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Is this still useful...
« on: May 16, 2023, 03:22:46 PM »
...or should I just bin it?

I got this in a job lot I just received. I've never been a polaroid user. Does film still exist that fits this? Anyone want it?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:09:20 PM by Pete_R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: Is this still useful...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 06:57:04 PM »
As far as I know there is no Pola type film available in that format. I've got one of those already, I'll keep it in case something happens. Maybe it can be used for sheet film or direct positive paper?
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 09:16:16 PM »
Yeah, I got two of them gathering dust.
They were for Polaroid 4x5 sheet film. These were in individual paper envelopes with a thin metal strip on the end.
You might be able to get the film on that evil place, but I can almost guarantee it's going to be dead.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 11:14:00 PM »
There appears to be a company that loads 4x5 B+W film stocks into suitable holders for the 545 back. I don't know if there's any practical reason to shoot 4x5 this way, but I guess it saves having to load normal film holders if you're only making a couple of exposures.

https://the-famous-large-small-format-photography-co.myshopify.com/products/1shot-ready-loaded-4x5-sheet-film

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 08:24:30 AM »
A while back Bob Crowley was making New55 film that used those but they shut down in 2017.

http://new55.supersense.com/

https://www.sutori.com/en/story/the-history-of-new55-film--GWPRgBhUsbocq9YVapijhEKW

I shot a few sheets of it.

Sputnik- by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 08:39:38 AM »
OK. Thanks for the info. So, I will never use it and seems those who might, should film ever become available, already have examples. In the bin I think then.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 10:16:06 PM »
Probably best...albeit still really sad. I still have mine and I still have a few sheets of 5x4 Polaroid film gradually decaying/drying out in a cupboard. I really need to bite the bullet and use the stuff.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 02:35:16 PM »
You really do. It's come to the point where it's essentially use it or lose it.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 05:38:52 PM »
I need to wait to the right light and the right subject and then get out my Tachihara, remember how to use is (and the tripod) and then waste some film. Maybe I'll have a barbecue and rope the guests in to be sitters.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 08:56:45 PM »
I hope that those film pods will still have some life in them.
Last time I used some, the goop was super thick and wouldn't go through the rollers, so I had to use a rolling pin and I could hear the developer crystals going cric-cric as I was spreading it. It did make some pretty neat looking patterns on the print though 😉
Francois