Poll

What sort of camera person are you?

My cameras have to be mint in every way
0 (0%)
My cameras don't have to be mint but must work perfectly with all shutter speeds spot on
2 (10%)
My cameras just need to work more-or-less as they should
14 (70%)
My cameras just need to take pictures I'm not bothered about specifics
3 (15%)
My cameras should be rough and ready so I don't worry about using them and I can work around any deficiencies
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: A poll. What sort of camera person are you?  (Read 1928 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
A poll. What sort of camera person are you?
« on: June 15, 2022, 11:09:47 AM »
I have a theory. Let's see if I'm correct.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: A poll. What sort of camera person are you?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 01:00:19 PM »
Since I have around 50 working cameras I could have voted for several of these options, but I like my cameras to work when I'm out shooting. But I don't need the self timer to work!  :)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 04:15:13 PM »
Since all my film cameras are old, the newest is probably 40 years old my expectations are modest. The most reliable cameras I have are of course homebuilt 4x5 pinhole cameras. Just cannot get any simpler than that.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 05:00:24 PM »
My cameras cover the whole range of choices but for the most part if they work more or less as they should I'm good with that.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 06:08:12 PM »
my cameras cover the  whole range too, but I love dinking and making/helping/convincing things to work.
If it resembles a camera I will probably pick it up and use it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 09:27:00 PM »
It's a bit funny because my camera breakage tolerance varies so much.
On some models little things annoy me to no end while on others rough around the corners is just fine (like that very damaged Hi-Matic on which I had to straighten the lens barrel ring with a stick of wood and a hammer).
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 10:34:16 PM »
The camera I choose for a shoot depends on whether I’m looking for a specific look or how important the shoot is. Sometimes I want the camera to take responsibility, sometimes I want it to do what it’s told. I just want things to work as I expect and that’s not always the same as the manufacturer’s expectation!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 08:43:45 PM »
Good thread !
I did a count a few days ago and it turns out that I have 38 cameras (including one now ancient DSLR) half of which I made myself. They all work, most of them better than I do. I realised that the only one that would upset me if it failed is the Pentax MX - I guess I feel a little attached to this one following my heroic replacement of the prism. Any of the others could do a number and I wouldn't think anything of it.

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 09:50:19 PM »
I imagine most of us on here are doing what we can to coax an adequate performance from aging equipment.
To be honest, as a b+w film shooter who devs in whatever is available, at a close enough to correct temperature, an inaccurate shutter speed isn't likely to be a deal breaker.
One of the great joys of film photography is the feel and character of the cameras.
Mint is generally devoid of character.
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 02:33:38 PM »
“Mint is generally devoid of character.”

This made me think about my own feelings about cameras that are ‘too pretty’. We have all seen beautifully restored black paint cameras with bright white filled engraved numbers and letters, and not even a dust speck to tarnish their perfection. Eye candy to be sure but I’d be afraid to even handle such cameras with my fumbling fingers.
Worn, nicked, scratched, a few impressions in the top and bottom covers…..now that can be slung over a shoulder without care.
Quite sure I’m not alone in this. At 73 the list of new cameras I’ve bought is three, and two of those were discounted slightly scuffed up counter demonstrators. Only one absolutely new in a sealed box.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
Guess I should jump in to explain my theory. It's really a spin off from Francois' question 'What does Filmwasters mean to you in 2022?'. For me, it's a bunch of like minded people. But we all do things a bit different I guess so I was thinking about what was actually common. And my theory was we aren't particularly equipment oriented. More about what we can do with it.
Maybe it's not as simple as that and it's arguable the sample size is too small to make conclusions, but that big peak in the middle seems to be saying something.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 08:28:34 PM »
Oh yeah, and besides, perfect focus and exposure are so overrated  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 01:43:28 PM »
Guess I should jump in to explain my theory. It's really a spin off from Francois' question 'What does Filmwasters mean to you in 2022?'. For me, it's a bunch of like minded people. But we all do things a bit different I guess so I was thinking about what was actually common. And my theory was we aren't particularly equipment oriented. More about what we can do with it.

I can get behind this. Nicely put, Peter.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 09:05:39 AM »
for me atleast, it ain't about the best possible gear. it's about having fun with whatever I get my grubby hands on :D
though like a little camera goblin, I too wonder at a pristine piece of gear with many shiny knobs and details~
/jonas

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 08:37:30 AM »
My latest purchase says much about my taste in cameras:
Miranda S by Berang Berang, on Flickr

And one of my faves to use has a cracked ground glass that I have no intention to replace. So long as the shutter works reliably, I prefer a beater that I don't have to worry about microscratching or getting a sweat drop on or something.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 02:30:54 PM »
I feel you, flippy! I've got a pristine Olympus OM-4 but it sees no where as much use as my worn OM-2 or battered Om-1 with broken meter :D
/jonas