Author Topic: Weekend February 18, 19 & 20, 2022  (Read 1085 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Weekend February 18, 19 & 20, 2022
« on: February 18, 2022, 09:42:36 PM »
I went to Tempe, Arizona last week for some corporate brain washing (management training).  Luckily I had some time after class to do some hiking with a co-worker in the evenings.  We hiked around South Mountain Park and Preserve since it's close to where we were staying.  At the end of both hikes we were walking out of the preserve in the dark while the coyote's were howling at the top of their lungs. 

I brought my Kodak Retina I loaded with Ilford Pan F 50+.  As we were going through the airport to go home I just shoved everything through the X-Ray without thinking about it.  As I was grabbing my bag on the other side I noticed that it was a new Smith Detection screening machine.  That's the one that's supposed to totally destroy film.  That had me worried but after developing it in some beer it looks perfectly fine.  I think, just like the old X-Ray scanners, it's worse for fast films.  It also went through one of the old X-Ray scanners when I left Seattle but I've done that many times without any problems.   

Saguaro Silhouette by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

South Mountain Park and Preserve by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend February 18, 19 & 20, 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 11:27:53 PM »
It's definitely worst for high speed films. X-rays are part of the electromagnetic spectrum just outside our range of vision, so to the film can pick it up.
I wonder what a digital camera recording video would show when going through these machines? I'm pretty sure you'd see the scanning beam pass over them as it probably would show as static or something like that.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 09:29:50 AM »
The shot I will post for the Kodak Brownie challenge this month, shot with a Brownie No2 that have very misty viewing windows so you can only guestimate the shot. I'll get round to stripping it to clean it soon.
HP5 in hc110(B)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 08:41:07 PM »
Love the cab, Irv!

Hasselblad 501CM / Zeiss Planar 2.8/80 / Fomapan 400 in HC110
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 10:29:13 PM »
Lovely shots all! Here is one more of the Gaf film. This is a poinsettia with some raindrops. I think this was the Nikkor Micro 55/3.5 on the F2 (a nice combo).

F2-GAF-003_sm by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 03:07:12 AM »
Loving the weekends threads!
Tipping the cart with some color as I'm still sloshing around with the cine still kit i got last month.
I think I'm on roll 12 now and I've added some time to the clock for this old expired roll that I shot out at the Rio Puerco bridge west of Albuquerque on Route 66.
So far I'm happy with the color and results and will eventually catch up on the last 20 or so rolls of color I shot the past two years.
I'll be going back out there a few more times this summer as a couple of Ravens like to nest up in the rafters.
Holga 120S .