Author Topic: Weekend June 26, 2022  (Read 1860 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Weekend June 26, 2022
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:21:43 AM »
One day left for the weekend.  Variegated Japanese Aralia in my garden.  4X5 Graflex Crown Graphic, Graflex Optar f/4.7 135mm lens with Kodak T-Max 100, expired 8/1997, developed in Rodinal 1:50.

Variegated Japanese Aralia by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend June 26, 2022
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 04:04:01 PM »
Nice start Bryan!
A botanical shot is always near and dear to my heart, I just don't do them myself. I should probably try some again since summer is here.

I popped over to The Painted Desert for a couple of nights. It's just three hours from my house, so it's easy and fairly cheap to go.
Nikon N2000 with 28mm f/2.8 lens and a haze filter. Arista 100 dunked in my usual caffenol mix for 7.5 minutes.

I shot a roll of Irv's expired Agfa color but haven't dunked it yet, maybe later today since it's pizzling rain outside.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 04:31:35 PM »
We have a local park with a manmade lake, formerly a small reservoir for an early 20th Century farm. It attracts a variety of waterfowl, typically ducks and Canada geese, but the birds here are new to me. Turns out they're Egyptian geese that have somehow now made their way to Southern California.

Pentax MX, 85/2, and Acros II

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 04:34:14 PM »
Nice start Bryan!
A botanical shot is always near and dear to my heart, I just don't do them myself. I should probably try some again since summer is here.

I popped over to The Painted Desert for a couple of nights. It's just three hours from my house, so it's easy and fairly cheap to go.
Nikon N2000 with 28mm f/2.8 lens and a haze filter. Arista 100 dunked in my usual caffenol mix for 7.5 minutes.

I shot a roll of Irv's expired Agfa color but haven't dunked it yet, maybe later today since it's pizzling rain outside.

Thanks Becky!  I really enjoyed the Painted Desert last year, the colors are amazing. 

We have hundreds of words and phrases for rain in Seattle, many include curse words followed by “again”, but I don’t think “pizzling” is one of them. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 09:11:47 PM »
Turns out they're Egyptian geese that have somehow now made their way to Southern California.
That's just plain weird. I would never expect things from Egypt to be in CA.
And for some reasons my brain was imagining gees walking like Egyptian hieroglyphs  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 09:19:50 PM »
my first attempt with 4x5
my first attempt with harman dpp

Crown graphic with graflex 127mm lens.

Got to say I enjoyed the whole 4x5 process, and am encouraged by the results, although the scan was filthy so took an age to "spot".
I took shots on flashed and unflashed sheets, but true to form, failed to make notes and mixed the sheets up in development, so really don't know whether this example is flashed or not. Once I get my head around what flashing actually achieves, and study the obvious differences in my initial results, I might have a better idea of how best to progress. Proper trials required.
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 03:29:52 PM »
Flashing is quite a complicated thing in itself that is disguised into a simple process.
All emulsion have a minimum amount of energy that is required for the photosensitive crystals to begin to react. When you flash the paper, you add just enough so that you reach the point before any activation happens. This in terms reduces the contrast just a tiny bit and allows you to get a greater tonal range.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 09:48:18 PM »
my first attempt with harman dpp

Crown graphic with graflex 127mm lens.

Got to say I enjoyed the whole 4x5 process.....

Congrats. You're off to a great start. I love 4x5, but have only ever used instant film - or paper negs in the form of that cyanotype fake stuff....oh yea, solar paper. It's so much fun. I don't have much instant 4x5 left, but I keep meaning to do a series of portraits with my remaining stock.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 09:54:21 PM »
I finished off a roll of Agfa Ultra this weekend (my fave colour film and now no longer with us - quelle surprise), but haven't sent it off to be processed yet. I'm using a lab that Damion recommended and so far, so good on the stuff I've sent them. In the meantime, I've been helping my daughter with her workflow and passing on some tips about scanning and post-processing, so that's what I did this weekend. Here are some of her recent efforts shot with a Canon SureShot Zoom XL on Rollei Superpan 200.

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 10:27:32 PM »
Congrats. You're off to a great start.

Thanks Ed... appreciate your kind comment. I chose the DPP because I can tray develop under safelight and flatbed scan... hope to eventually move to trying the half box of FP4 that came with the camera, but that's going to take a little more "investment".

Impressed by your daughter's shots. Full of youthful energy.

Flashing is quite a complicated thing in itself that is disguised into a simple process.

Thanks Francois. I "get" the theory behind flashing. My problem is really that I didn't conduct proper tests. As the light changed, so did my lens settings, and then I threw all four sheets into the dev tray together without thinking...
My son is just completing a masters degree in forensic science, he's appalled by my "testing" process.  ::) 
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 06:05:49 PM »
You can just check the contrast range. Even if the light has changed, it should be not too hard to identify.
Also, you can mark the back of the paper with a lead pencil before putting it in the holders. So it's easy to identify the flashed prints.
Francois