Author Topic: Weekend 29th April to 1st of May  (Read 1440 times)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Weekend 29th April to 1st of May
« on: April 30, 2022, 06:52:06 AM »
Hello, hope you have a nice weekend!

I haven't posted in some time. Somehow work is keeping me too busy to go out and take photos much. Good news is that I am now set-up to develop film at home again and don't have to use a comercial lab any more.
This picture is from March, but I only got around to developing now. It is from a little former quarry located in my local woodland. Taken with the Chamonix 45f1, J Lane dry plate ISO2, rated at ISO 0.5 and developed in XT-3.

Quarry Pond

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend 29th April to 1st of May
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 07:51:42 AM »
Nice dry plate shot, Manuel
A couple of after work shots from me while working down on the coast last week
Linhof 5x4 FP4 in HC110 (b)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 04:29:49 PM »
I had to dig back into the archives to find something to post. This is from last summer.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 08:55:03 PM »
Today was the last chance to participate in this year's Roidweek, so I headed down to the local centre with a Polaroid SX-70.

Polaroid SX-70 Alpha 1 / Polaroid SX-70 Colour film
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 09:24:15 PM »
I had to dig back into the archives to find something to post. This is from last summer.
That must have been one heck of a car!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 10:08:23 PM »
That must have been one heck of a car!
It was not small. I don't think I have a photo of the whole thing or I'd post it for scale. From memory, maybe a 53? Somewhere around there.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 01:19:50 AM »
Great stuff this weekend.  Manuel, nice job with the dry plate, I know how tricky those are to work with. 

I have a bit of a screw up to share from my California road trip.  I shot this on Ilford Pan-F+ and developed it in beer.  I'm still not sure what went wrong, it could have been a few things.  I was scrounging around for beer to develop it in and found a Dark Christmas Ale and some Pabst Blue Ribbon.  I was developing this 120 roll plus a 35mm roll, both Pan-F+ so I needed a few cans of beer.  All the negatives came out covered in spots, way too many to clean up in Gimp.  Since everybody knows it doesn't snow in Southern California I can't use that as an excuse. 

The way I figure it there are 3 possibilities, sediment in the beer, sediment in the fix or these are more rolls of the screwed up film Ilford had put out.  I don't think it's Ilford this time because it's a little different looking.  Plus I just developed some more Pan-F+ bought at the same time using Rodinal and so far they look fine.  I won't get to scanning and editing them for a few more days so I'll have to wait to be completely sure.  This is one of my shots on Pan-F+ that had the factory problem from Ilford.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/60348236@N07/49616745117/in/photolist-2iAsMGH

The other possibility is that Christmas Ale, I think it had some sediment in it.  The problem with that is, I have used home brew beer in the past with lots of sediment and didn't have a problem.  The last possibility is the fix, I noticed there was a lot of particles in the fix, it looked like metal shavings.  I filtered it with a coffee filter and it cleared up really well.  The fix is still good other than the particles. 

The first shot is a fishing boats tackle in Morrow Bay, CA and the second shot is the Balboa Inn, Huntington Beach, CA.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 01:21:36 AM by Bryan »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 10:20:18 AM »
Difficult to tell on small images but it looks like the spots only cover part of the neg. Top of the first one and bottom of the second one. Or am I missing something?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »
That's got to be the weirdest thing.
I know that when I do some cafenol I have to filter out the sediment from the vitamin c that I use, so I can't really know if the beer would have needed filtering too.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 04:10:25 PM »
Difficult to tell on small images but it looks like the spots only cover part of the neg. Top of the first one and bottom of the second one. Or am I missing something?

It was not evenly distributed on the negatives, some ares had a very light scattering of spots, some were heavy.  That’s one reason why I don’t think it’s the Ilford problem, theirs was even over the whole negative.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »
I know that when I do some cafenol I have to filter out the sediment from the vitamin c that I use, so I can't really know if the beer would have needed filtering too.

I don’t use vitamin C tablets, I get the powdered stuff.  I know the tablets have a binder that can cause problems. 

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 04:36:00 PM »
A bit of color from me this week. My buddy Rich with his 1942 Mercury coupe, holding court. (Rich is a retired TV engineer and now Ford flathead V8 guru; his older brother had a shop in the Sierra foothills that was the go-to for Model T and Model A owners in the Central Valley.)

Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm FLE, Portra 400

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 08:42:12 PM »

I don’t use vitamin C tablets, I get the powdered stuff.  I know the tablets have a binder that can cause problems.
The powdered stuff is nearly impossible to find around here. I even asked the pharmacist and she can't find any at a close to decent price. So I just grind down the tablets and filter the stuff before processing.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 01:11:52 AM »
A bit of color from me this week. My buddy Rich with his 1942 Mercury coupe, holding court. (Rich is a retired TV engineer and now Ford flathead V8 guru; his older brother had a shop in the Sierra foothills that was the go-to for Model T and Model A owners in the Central Valley.)

I really want to play with a pre-war car as my next project (I know 42 isn't pre-war, but it's a pre-war design). Flatheads and such fascinate me. I'll probably try to squeeze too much power out of it and blow it up.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »

I really want to play with a pre-war car as my next project (I know 42 isn't pre-war, but it's a pre-war design). Flatheads and such fascinate me. I'll probably try to squeeze too much power out of it and blow it up.
If you want to have a blast, check out the Goodwood Revival YouTube channel. They do a lot of racing with pre-war cars. Let's say that it's some of the most exciting racing I've seen in a very long time.
And they don't baby these cars either, just imagine a starting grid with a dozen 1930's cars battling it out for the checkered flag. They even have a category for pre war racers like the beast of Turin. Really fun.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 07:29:04 PM »

If you want to have a blast, check out the Goodwood Revival YouTube channel. They do a lot of racing with pre-war cars. Let's say that it's some of the most exciting racing I've seen in a very long time.
And they don't baby these cars either, just imagine a starting grid with a dozen 1930's cars battling it out for the checkered flag. They even have a category for pre war racers like the beast of Turin. Really fun.

I stream it every year. They just had the Members' Meeting races a few weeks ago.

Oddly enough, I took the Cadillac photo at Lime Rock Park in CT, where I've shot many vintage cars over the years, including some really rare stuff (the Count Trossi Mercedes, Sterling Moss's #722 from the 1955 Mille Miglia, etc.). I just found out they're going to have a bunch of Corvette prototypes there this year. I'll post a few more from that trip in the next few weekend threads.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:48:36 PM by 02Pilot »

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 03:48:49 PM »
I must admit that I find those races way more fun and exciting than any formula 1 race. And lets not even try and compare to nascar ( though like Bubba J famously said, nascar is the easiest kind of race to follow).
Francois