Author Topic: 3Dprinted Lens board  (Read 1271 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
3Dprinted Lens board
« on: February 20, 2022, 02:26:39 PM »
Hey everyone, with an 5x4 enlarger kit from Intrepid cameras, I have my enlarger up together but the lens board they supply, is to small to fit my lens to it
Is there anyone on here that have and use a 3D printer?
If a make a hole in a flat sheet made by a 3D printer to make a lens board, is it possible to screw an enlarger lens (M42 thread ) directly into it. I haven't got a back nut for the lens and have tried super gluing the lens to a wooden board, but after a few times of adjusting the aperture up and down, the glue breaks.
Looking closely at the Intrepid one the thread look as though it is separate and is heat soldered onto it 
Any help is welcomed.
Cheers Irv

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: 3Dprinted Lens board
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 04:59:42 PM »
All you need for a back nut is an M42 adapter ring.  Doesn’t matter what the ring is adapting to.  Also, a short extension tube would work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 05:01:59 PM by Bryan »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 09:09:35 PM »
Just be careful if you decide to drill a 3D printed sheet. If it is thick enough, you'll quickly find out that it's most probably empty inside with just some support structures.
Your lens is probably a #1 shutter (41.6mm). So the proper lens board would be a Copal1, Compur1 or Prontor1.
I just checked the Intrepid website and they are £15 each.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 07:05:04 PM »
All you need for a back nut is an M42 adapter ring.  Doesn’t matter what the ring is adapting to.  Also, a short extension tube would work.

Thanks Bryan I kind of knew that it was just I was trying to get round a bit of an annoying problem without having to buy and wait for stuff from China.

Just be careful if you decide to drill a 3D printed sheet. If it is thick enough, you'll quickly find out that it's most probably empty inside with just some support structures.
Your lens is probably a #1 shutter (41.6mm). So the proper lens board would be a Copal1, Compur1 or Prontor1.
I just checked the Intrepid website and they are £15 each.

Thanks Francois this is what I wanted to know really.

Those lens boards don't look as though they are threaded so I would still have t get a back nut

Cheers guys

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
They can be surprisingly tough.
I have some 3D printed lens boards on my Graflex and while they could have used a bit of ribbing on the back, they are just fine.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.