Author Topic: UK Filmwasters - Cartier-Bresson at National Media Museum  (Read 2294 times)

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
UK Filmwasters - Cartier-Bresson at National Media Museum
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »
Just a heads up to anyone who hadn't already heard - there's a major show of Henri Cartier-Bresson's "scrapbook" period ('32-'46) starting today at the National Media Museum in Bradford. Free admission and runs until June:

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/General/Exhibitions.asp

If you go, don't forget to pop across the square to check out the swanky new home of Impressions Gallery:

http://www.impressions-gallery.com/

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
Re: UK Filmwasters - Cartier-Bresson at National Media Museum
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »
Wow, I can't miss that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I've never been to the National Media Museum, a terrible oversight on my part, this would be a great reason to finally get there.

Janet

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
Why don't we organise a mini Filmwasters convention there? Could be a good opportunity to put one or two names to faces.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:39:05 PM »
I'd be up for that!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
sounds good to me - especially if in april
L.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
I had some business at a nearby gallery today, so stopped in to see this on the way home. One thing I hadn't realised was that the exhibition is not just "pictures from HCB's scrapbook" but in fact THE pictures - i.e. tiny little roughly made prints.  You have to get in close to see anything ... it's a squinty sort of show.  There are also a few proper exhibition prints dotted around which are superb - I wish there had been more of these.

You also get to watch two videos, and see some exhibits such as HCB's wartime diary and his French Resistance ID card (yes, I was surprised they issued such things too ... seems like a bit of a gift to the Gestapo!).

Anyway, well worth seeing ... if not quite the "must see" that I'd hoped it would be.  If anyone still wants to go, let me know - time permitting I'd be happy to have another look around.