Author Topic: Weekend April 19, 20, 21  (Read 303 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Weekend April 19, 20, 21
« on: April 19, 2024, 03:09:09 PM »
Getting ready for pinhole day, which is April 28.

Reality So subtle 6 x 6 pinhole with Kentmere 400.
Sloshed in the usual caffenol soup.
At the beach.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
Re: Weekend April 19, 20, 21
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 04:40:23 PM »
I was looking through my archive for a particular image and stumbled across a three-frame sequence I made about 30 years ago. In the pre-Photoshop days, I had intended to make this a triptych print, then got distracted with work, kids, etc., and forgot to do it. With blending software, now (mostly) works as a stitched panorama.

July 1995, Crater Lake. Fuji GS645S, Fujichrome Provia 100F

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 05:22:23 PM »
Excellent pinhole Becky!  Earl, that's one of my favorite places to visit.  It's hard to show the amazing beauty of Crater Lake in a picture but you come close.  Nothing compares to being there and seeing it for yourself.  I try to go back there every time I'm in that area. 

Here are a few more of my most recent trip to American Samoa.  Kodak Retina IIIc with Adox HR-50 developed in beer.  I'm really liking this film developed in beer. 

I posted a color photo of this Fautasi last week as it was leaving the dock.  This was while they were still loading it up with 50 people. 
Fautasi Loading by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Agave Plant by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I also added more photos to my Samoa Photo Essay from the same roll.  https://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=10637.0

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 08:50:52 PM »
Hi everyone. Back in December I took a short trip over to Bulgaria with a friend to visit the Buzludzha monument (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzludzha_monument). We were incredibly lucky with the weather and the time we spent at the top of the mountain was pretty magical. I took a couple of cameras with b/w in my now dead Pentax ME Super and some colour in a Canon SureShot 28mm point and shoot. The lab scans of the colour came out really well. I need to spend some time re-scanning the b/w negs...but it was hard to take a bad photo there. What a place.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 09:35:00 PM »
With blending software, now (mostly) works as a stitched panorama.
Did you try it with Hugin ? (https://hugin.sourceforge.io/)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 12:45:40 AM »
With blending software, now (mostly) works as a stitched panorama.
Did you try it with Hugin ? (https://hugin.sourceforge.io/)

Photoshop Elements, which is about the extent of my photo retouching and correction abilities. I'll take a look at Hugin. My "IT guy" who's kept my various PCs running over the years has beaten into me to not randomly download software, so I'll likely check in with him first anyway.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 02:37:40 AM »
A modern dance/music performance. I really screwed this one up in the sense that the background (walls) were completely white, and all the performers (like this one) wore black. I had my Pentax ME Super on auto exposure, and it metered to the white walls 🤦🏾‍♂️ leaving the performers waaaay underexposed with no shadow detail 😢 I tried (mostly successfully) to save them in Lightroom, but now I know to be more aware of the whole scene when using auto exposure (bets on whether I completely forget this the next time? if you bet "he will forget", then I will pay you right now, because you're correct 😂)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 02:40:14 AM »
Hi everyone. Back in December I took a short trip over to Bulgaria with a friend to visit the Buzludzha monument (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzludzha_monument). We were incredibly lucky with the weather and the time we spent at the top of the mountain was pretty magical. I took a couple of cameras with b/w in my now dead Pentax ME Super and some colour in a Canon SureShot 28mm point and shoot. The lab scans of the colour came out really well. I need to spend some time re-scanning the b/w negs...but it was hard to take a bad photo there. What a place.

I've always been fascinated with this, though I've never been to Bulgaria. Thanks for the pictures Ed!

Side note: The word "Bulgaria" has always struck me as awkward. I'd much prefer "Bulgary". Whom do I speak to about getting this changed?

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 11:11:53 AM »
Printed some more photos...
Untitled by Berang Berang, on Flickr

I've also been busy playing with sepia toning.

Sepia by Berang Berang, on Flickr

It is interesting to see what effects can be had depending on the type of paper, and the strength of the bleach. To be honest, with most paper I did not like the effect (being much too yellow and losing too much contrast), however with Fomabrom the color came out reddish-brown and in some cases even increased the contrast of the print if the image was printed dark and pulled out of the bleach before it acted on the shadow areas. The result is very pleasing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 11:13:39 AM by Flippy »

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2024, 01:01:10 PM »
Getting ready for pinhole day, which is April 28.
Oh good to know. I will try to fix my Pinhole Rocket for the event, as it was not light proof when I shot a test roll. I didn't try to scan it, but I could barely see an image on the neg…

I finally scanned some Vision 3 250D shot last summer in the South of France:

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 08:22:06 PM »
I did a trip on Thursday checking out a Zeiss Jena Tessar 3.5/50 from 1954. It will do nicely, but the focus is a bit rickety so I need to clean and lubricate the helicoid.

Exakta Varex IIA / Zeiss Jena Tessar 3.5/50 / Rollei Retro 400S @200 ISO in Rodinal
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 09:47:55 AM »
A nice portrait from this week! This is a student at my community college. On a sheet of HP5+ 8x10.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2024, 12:10:50 PM »
A wonderful variety of shot this week guy kudos to everyone.
 Ed that really looks like I would imagine a moon base to look like especially in the second shot.
A couple fropm the LC-A from the past couple of weeks. HP5 accidently shot at 50 asa developed in Ilfotec HC.