Author Topic: Looking for an affordable medium format camera  (Read 8238 times)

Yglotte

• A 15 year old film "photographer"
Looking for an affordable medium format camera
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
Yeah everyone !
So I know this question must be all over the web, but I think no one is better placed then the guys from Filmwasters to answer my question.
I'm looking for a medium format camera, around 100-200 € (about 150$-250$) and I would like either a 6x6 or a 6x4.5. I've looked around and saw some stuff like Kiev 88,TLRs and a bunch of wedding cameras like Mamyias or Bronicas.

So, what do you think I should get ?

Thanks yall

ambaker

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
There are actually quite a number of choices in your price range.  Depending on the brand/format, you like best....

Rolleicord, Mamiya, Bronica, Yashica come to mind quite quickly.  All are quite capable of giving excellent results.

I have at least one of each of the above, except the Bronicas.  If you are going to shoot in the field, I would suggest a camera with interchangeable backs, like the Mamiyas, or the Bronicas.  Makes film loading a snap.  Also allows the use of different films in the same session.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Does your image show what you saw, or how you felt about what you saw?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Looking for an affordable medium format camera
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
My suggestion would be to see if you can get your hands on a Mamiya C series TLR (C3/C33/C330 etc) + a set of 80mm/f2.8 lenses. Great camera and superb lenses. The lenses are also interchangeable for wide angle (55mm or 65mm) and telephoto (105mm, 135mm, 180mm  etc).

This was my first MF camera (going back to the late 1970s) and I still have a C330 with 65mm, 80mm and 135mm lenses.

There are, of course, lots of other options but few allow you to build a "system" at relatively modest cost.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
TLR's are my favourites. Go either for a Yashica or Rolleicord, I doubt you'll find a Rolleiflex for that amount of money and it would be my first choice.

Yglotte

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
I've looked around LeBoncoin.fr, which is like Craiglist in France, I've found a Kiev 88CM with the Eye-finder (I think that's the name ? It's kinda like a normal SLR) for 150€. Do you think that's a good deal ?

MJL

• 35mm
Kiev
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:45:38 PM »
Kiev 88 stuff are inexpensive even buying new.  Optical image quality is also great.

However, it suffer frequent mechanical problems (e.g. light leak) due to poor quality control.  You will need good manual film camera knowledge to make things work smoothly.
Addicted to Kodachrome, Medium Formats, Polaroid, Russian lenses and big shinny objects.

Yglotte

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
For the manual camera wise, I've been used cameras like Zorki 4 and Leica M4, and I usualy get decent results  ;) But, do you know the difference between Kiev88 CM and Kiev 88 ?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
The Kiev 88 is a screw mount. The Kiev 88CM has a Pentacon Six mount. This will give you a lot of good lenses to use.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:39:39 AM »
The Russian optics are amazing but the cameras itself aren't sometimes reliable...

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 01:19:16 AM »
My Bronica was $200 I believe with 80mm lens on it. I have a Bronica SQ-A and love it. I regularly see them go for a lot more than that though :(

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:05:28 AM »
Holga 120N.

;)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »
Early Rolleiflex Standards with Tessars, like the 621/622, tend to go for up to £100 on the bay.  They weigh around 800 grams and seem excellent machines for the street, or, with closeup lenses, portraits. 

Mine, made for the French market, has a PC flash sync in place of the cable release socket.  Made in 1934, the shutter is still whisperingly good.

Yglotte

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advices, I think I'll go with a TLR.

@Sandeha Oddly enough, my grandpa used to have a camera like yours, I think, but he threw it away  :o
Do you think that's a "good" to start with ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLLEIFLEX-3-5F-WITH-PLANAR-75mm-3-5-LENS-WITH-CASE-AND-ROLLEINAR1-/230938560544?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item35c502c820
What are the Rolleinar for ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:38:05 AM by Yglotte »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
It looks fine, but from the description the shutter may need a service.  Check past listings on eBay - I'd expect this could go for £200 as it has a meter.  I suspect having the old leather case can nudge a price higher, though personally I find them useless.  One thing you do need is a good strap.

Rolleinars, (I, II, and III) are Zeiss's own close up lenses which include a prism for the viewing lens to compensate for close up parallax.

Good page on Rolleiflex here: http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/all_TLR.shtml

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advices, I think I'll go with a TLR.

@Sandeha Oddly enough, my grandpa used to have a camera like yours, I think, but he threw it away  :o
Do you think that's a "good" to start with ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLLEIFLEX-3-5F-WITH-PLANAR-75mm-3-5-LENS-WITH-CASE-AND-ROLLEINAR1-/230938560544?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item35c502c820
What are the Rolleinar for ?

The 3.5F is a great camera if it's in good condition. The one advertised says it's been stored for 15 years and there's a slight haze in the taking lens. Unless you can get this well within your budget, I would steer clear. "Haze" is often "fungus" and, if it is "fungus" it is expensive to treat and almost impossible to restore to top condition.

Rolleinar (and the Rolleiparkeil) are close up lens kits. They come in 3 "strengths" with 1 being the lowest magnification and 3 being the greatest magnification. You can Google to find out 100% but I believe that the Rolleinar is a two piece kit (one for the taking lens and one for the viewing lens) and the Rolleiparkeil is a 3 piece kit - two identical parts (one for each lens) and a parallax correction lens.

I used to have a Rolleiflext 3.5T (k8t2 model) with a Rolleiparkeil set. Great camera and it was in stunning, almost showroom, condition. However, with Rolleiflex, top mechanical condition is everything as they are generally regarded as the finest TLRs ever made and not cheap to fix.

If you were interested in a Mamiya TLR, something like this is a good option - as it comes with two lens sets, to which you could add a wide angle if and when you're able.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x6-Medium-format-camera-Mamiya-C220-set-with-two-lenses-/281072937103?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item417140a88f
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:20:46 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Yglotte

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »
The 3.5F is a great camera if it's in good condition. The one advertised says it's been stored for 15 years and there's a slight haze in the taking lens. Unless you can get this well within your budget, I would steer clear. "Haze" is often "fungus" and, if it is "fungus" it is expensive to treat and almost impossible to restore to top condition.

Rolleinar (and the Rolleiparkeil) are close up lens kits. They come in 3 "strengths" with 1 being the lowest magnification and 3 being the greatest magnification. You can Google to find out 100% but I believe that the Rolleinar is a two piece kit (one for the taking lens and one for the viewing lens) and the Rolleiparkeil is a 3 piece kit - two identical parts (one for each lens) and a parallax correction lens.

I used to have a Rolleiflext 3.5T (k8t2 model) with a Rolleiparkeil set. Great camera and it was in stunning, almost showroom, condition. However, with Rolleiflex, top mechanical condition is everything as they are generally regarded as the finest TLRs ever made and not cheap to fix.

If you were interested in a Mamiya TLR, something like this is a good option - as it comes with two lens sets, to which you could add a wide angle if and when you're able.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x6-Medium-format-camera-Mamiya-C220-set-with-two-lenses-/281072937103?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item417140a88f
Thaks for the tip, I'll go with the Rolleiflex, even tough I love Mamiya, it will blow up my budget, mainly because this month only, I've already spent about 247€ on photographic equipement, and it's the the 4th :o

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Take a look at what the Filmwasters were saying on this subject back in 2009: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=2019.msg17731#msg17731

Yglotte

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
I saw a Yashica Mat 124G for about 120€, it's working, and looks amazing. Is that reasonable price ?

@Ed: Thanks, i saw Skorj's awesome Yashica.

PhotoBob

• 35mm
  • Follow the LIGHT
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
I use a couple of Mamiya cameras
But depending upon your needs you might look at a Kiev 88CM
I've never used one so it is just a thought
Follow the LIGHT

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 01:11:59 AM »
Try a mamiya 7............ or even a hassleblad, more money than the Kiev but more reliable and its a system where there are plenty of lenses and bits available to biuld on .

Perhaps more importantly there are some great people about to repair if needed !
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »
You'll have a lot of fun and get great shots with a Rolleiflex!

I use a Bronica ETRSi mainly, though have a EC-LT for square-frame shots.

Enjoy!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
Hi Bob! :)
/jonas

Yglotte

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
I've found a lot of Yashica 124 or 124g, but the meter is not working ! Is it a big problem ? I mean, I know it's not that bad, my M4 doesn't have a meter, but is it good and way more practical, or it's not really a problem ?

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »
The meters in the 124, or at least in the ones I have had has never been more accurate than my guesstimating, based on sunny 16.
If the rest is working as it should I`d say go for it  :)  Quiet shutter, more than adequate lens and a real joy to use. 
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 08:18:33 PM »
I have a Yashicamat (no letters or numbers) which is pretty much the same as the 124. I have no meter and use a hand meter which is bound to be more handy in the long run than a built in model.
Francois

Yglotte

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »
I have a Lunasix, but I don't know how to use it, I mainly use a LightMeter app from my iTouch, and it works great! But indeed a real meter must e better ! Thanks

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 09:47:19 PM »
Pretty much all meters work the same.
Here's the instructions for the Lunasix.
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
I love my Yashica Mat. Especially when the viewfinder is cleaned then it's just soooo bright. My favourite medium format camera.

TLL (toe level leaves) by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Autumnal fruits and leave by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »
Wonderful colors! Beautiful photos.

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
yes really great perspective too !
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 07:45:15 AM »
Thanks guys!

Yglotte

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 11:06:37 AM »
Urban, these shot are just awesome ! bravo ! I think I'll try to find one with the working meter, but now that I know how to use my meter, it's perfect !

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »
Don't over think it. Mine doesn't have a meter, a not so perfect lens and I used a plastic close-up filter.