Author Topic: One pack, one subject: The coast  (Read 3073 times)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
One pack, one subject: The coast
« on: March 21, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
Recently, even before the announcement of Fuji's discontinuing the FP 100C (still keeping my fingers crossed that Doc can save it!), I got the itch to use my SX-70. My first pack of Impossible Project film was a disappointment, but I decided to get a frog tongue and give it another go. The second pack of color came out sooo much better, and that made me happy. I also picked up a box of the black and white and loaded it into the SX-70 in Maine this past weekend. It didn't start out as a "One roll/pack" project, but halfway through, I decided to made it into one.

Here they are in the order I took them. I tried to straighten the horizons in a few of them, but the same tool that worked before seems to be working kind of wonky for these shots for whatever reason, so for the moment, they remain crooked. Some were a bit overexposed, which did at least help me understand that the camera really does need to be fully stopped down to get decent exposures even in cloudy daylight. Overall, I'm encouraged enough by the film to keep trying, and I'm starting to get the hang of the combination of that camera+IP film.

Beach2 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Beach1 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

This one really got blown out:

Nubble2 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

But I tried again:

Nubble1 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Lighthouse and bridge by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Bridge by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Lighthouse by limrodrigues, on Flickr

And last but certainly not least, as it happens to be my favorite one :)

Lighthouse and grass by limrodrigues, on Flickr
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Re: One pack, one subject: The coast
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:11:34 AM »
Wonderful! Love the nostalgic feel of your pictures.
Seeing shots like these always makes me want to give instant another try. But so far my own attempts (mostly with instant 4x5) always ended in frustration.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 05:54:37 PM »
Wonderful! Love the nostalgic feel of your pictures.
Seeing shots like these always makes me want to give instant another try. But so far my own attempts (mostly with instant 4x5) always ended in frustration.

Thanks! My first pack was such a disappointment, but I saw so many pictures with this film that I really liked that I had to give it another try.
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:55:55 PM »
So you recommend the frog tongue to get the most out of IP films? I have an SX70 and a SLR680 and I was just gifted a bunch of IP film for them, so I'd like to get back into shooting them, but in the past my pictures have been overexposed/washed out even if I set the exposure dial to 100% dark. I assume that's because of the light hitting the film as soon as it leaves the camera? And how long do you wait before taking the picture out of the frog tongue, or does it matter?

Also, cool beach shots!  ;D I like the "corrected" Nubble the best :)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »
So you recommend the frog tongue to get the most out of IP films? I have an SX70 and a SLR680 and I was just gifted a bunch of IP film for them, so I'd like to get back into shooting them, but in the past my pictures have been overexposed/washed out even if I set the exposure dial to 100% dark. I assume that's because of the light hitting the film as soon as it leaves the camera? And how long do you wait before taking the picture out of the frog tongue, or does it matter?

Also, cool beach shots!  ;D I like the "corrected" Nubble the best :)

I would definitely get the frog tongue. There were a few shots I took with the color pack that came out okay without it, but that was only with the dial set to 100% dark, and in fairly low light (daylight but deep shadow, or early evening waning light+shadows). I am not at my computer right now but I'll post them later. Without the frog tongue, however, I think anything in normal daylight would come out overexposed.

What I usually do after the print shoots out is to turn the camera towards my body so I can slide the print out from under the frog tongue while it's pressed against my body, thus keeping it shielded. Then I slide it into a pocket or my camera bag so it can stay in the dark for at least another 20-30 minutes before I can't take it anymore and have to peek :)
Leonore

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »
Lovely shots Leonore, they just need a bit of darkening. And remember to keep your rollers clean. ;)

Satish, your problem could also have something to do with temperature, if it's too cold during exposure they will get very bleak. I put mine in a shirt pocket if it's cold, at least for the first 5 minutes. They can get too hot as well, the color ones will then get a purple tint and the B&W will turn brown. Nice if you like sepia shots!
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 03:22:53 AM »
Thanks, Kai :)

Satish, at the end of my last pack, the frog tongue had gotten all crooked and the print wasn't catching it when it left the camera, so the frame was exposed. It was early evening, the light was getting pretty dim, and much of this was in shadow or very low-angle diffuse light. The dial was not exactly at 100% dark but it was very close to it.

Little garage blown out by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I took a second shot of the same scene, but with the dial at 100% dark. This time I expected the frog tongue to not work, so I held my hand over the front where the print would come out, and I grabbed it immediately to press it against my body and keep it dark. So it's possible without the frog tongue, but it's more of a PITA.

Little garage by limrodrigues, on Flickr

This was the last shot of that pack. I couldn't adjust the frog tongue until I'd finished the pack, so I knew it wouldn't work properly. I still shielded both the lens and the print when it came out, and the exposure was good, but I got enough solarization that it looks like an inter-dimensional portal was opening up in the sky! ;)

Interdimensional portal by limrodrigues, on Flickr

And here are two with a working frog tongue, both at probably about 75% dark:

Door by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Paramount by limrodrigues, on Flickr

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:24:30 AM by limr »
Leonore

Terry

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
This is a wonderful series Leonore!  The photos seem very dramatic to me, but maybe it's the accompanying narrative--it looks like shooting IP is hard work.  (I love that theatre shot--the old-photo feel goes well with the band on the marquee.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:31:10 AM by Terry »

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
Thanks, Terry! It's ironic that pressing a shutter and having the print come shooting out all ready for you is hard work, but it certainly is proving itself tricky to get right! Still, after that first pack of color IP film that came out abysmally, I'm just glad I gave it another try :)
Leonore