Author Topic: The Box Camera Thread  (Read 19022 times)

cs1

• Self-Coat
Re: The Box Camera Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »
I totally agree. And if they don't work 100% it's often quite easy to repair / lubricate them. I've seen almost 80-90 year old boxes that I suppose still work today like they worked on the first day. I love this sort of resilience in a piece of gear.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2019, 07:37:33 PM »
Finally got around to have a look at the Coronet Rex today. I couldn't get my head around the function of the spring so I simply removed most of it leaving only one turn. Now I can pull it out and push it in without any problem, and there is a little resistance so it doesn't spin freely. Putting it back on the box one of the prongs broke off, so I've glued it with Power glue. It seems to be ok, and I can get to test it out when the rains stop.
Oh, and then I got tempted by a hi-tech box camera on a local listing........  :P Fully functional, I've just taken it apart and cleaned finders and lens. Where will it end.....  ::)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »
Good job fixing the Coronet. I'm curious how it'll perform in the field.

Ah, the Box-Tengor. It looks like it's in a really good condition. I'm interested how it works for you. Just one piece of advice if you take it apart: make sure to properly lubricate the shutter release. It'll make a huge difference in terms of camera shake. The lever is somewhat strange because it induces a twisting motion onto the box which makes it hard to produce pictures without motion blur. Other than that it indeed is quite a sophisticated camera for a box.

Some news about the Altissa Pinkiskop: my daughter (5 yo) spent the last two days shooting the Altissa Pinkiskop. We did a number of dry runs without film so that she grasped the concept of "you really need to transport the film if you don't want double exposures". It seems like the dry runs prepared her properly, she actually completely understood what to do and properly and thoroughly advanced the film after each shot all by herself. I've added a ~10cm cable release because it made it much easier for her to release the shutter (her hands are a little too small to do it comfortably without a cable release; she managed to do it but it was hard for her not to shake the camera or accidentally put a finger in front of the lens). She actually saved half of the film (Fomapan 100) for the next day. I developed the film this afternoon, it's currently drying. The negatives look promising. It was quite amusing how she found two aspects that she enjoyed about the camera: taking pictures on actual film and carrying the box around as a "fashion statement". I'm excited to find out how she's going to like the results. We'll see whether or not she'll be my future "filmwasting partner in crime". ;)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2019, 07:40:40 PM »
I just found this one at an estate sale.  The only reason I got it is because it's kind of unusual.  It's a re-branded Ansco Cadet B-2.  Bear Photo was a photo services company in San Francisco, CA.  This one dates to the 1940's.  It takes 120 film and makes 6X9 negatives.  Other than some tarnish on the front this one is in very good condition.  It has two shutter speeds, B and instant.

Bear Photo Special by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2019, 08:11:34 PM »
Great find, Bryan. I had a closer look at it on your Flickr page. It's a gorgeous box. Judging by the winding knob and other metal parts, this box has been stored in a properly dry place. That's fantastic. Also, the leather handle looks really good. It seems like it has at least two different apertures (if that piece of metal next to the shutter release is the handle for pulling the aperture plate out). Looking forward to seeing some photos taken with it. :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
Great find, Bryan. I had a closer look at it on your Flickr page. It's a gorgeous box. Judging by the winding knob and other metal parts, this box has been stored in a properly dry place. That's fantastic. Also, the leather handle looks really good. It seems like it has at least two different apertures (if that piece of metal next to the shutter release is the handle for pulling the aperture plate out). Looking forward to seeing some photos taken with it. :)

It only has one aperture, when you pull the handle out it puts the shutter into B mode.  Everything inside and out is in excellent shape, except of course the oxidation on the front  :(.  I went to the estate sale because it had a nice Darkroom in the house, the owner took very good care of everything.  I also got a few items from the Darkroom and a few records that were in excellent condition.  I’ll deffinatelly take some photos with it.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
Ah, interesting. I mistook the shutter mode lever for an aperture. Even better, no variable aperture means one less thing to worry about. :) That's what I love about boxes.

Removing the oxidation without ruining the print will be hard, I guess. Unless you're really really good at masking, polishing and re-painting. ;) Then again, a little patina gives the box character.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:05:36 PM by cs1 »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
I wonder if something like naval jelly or Krud Cutter would work?
These are liquid and are said to be safe on a ton of stuff...

This might be inspiring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MC_ZEXQbw
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2019, 04:27:22 AM »
I’ll leave it the way it is, if I start putting Krud on it I’ll probably make it worse. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2019, 06:46:32 PM »
Here's my next project; restitching the original leather bag for the Coronet Rex. The thread was rotten and so was the strap. I've replaced the lock and put on new strap rings, so now the hard work remains. Ouch!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2019, 07:22:37 PM »
Fantastic effort! I hope that you'll succeed because having the proper accessories for your box (strap, leather bag etc.) adds so much to the fun. :) I caught the "restoration virus" after dealing with my Altissa Periskop. It was followed by the Altissa Pinkiskop and after that I started with the Altissa Appleskop (for my son) and that's almost finished. I'm wondering what to tackle next. ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »
You better watch those fingers.
I once poked myself with a speedstitch... it's been scaring me ever since...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2019, 08:19:22 PM »
Here's my next project; restitching the original leather bag for the Coronet Rex. The thread was rotten and so was the strap. I've replaced the lock and put on new strap rings, so now the hard work remains. Ouch!

I've done a few if you need any pointers, yours actually looks fairly simple.  here's one I did with some instructions included.  http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8655.msg125875#msg125875

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2019, 09:06:11 PM »
Thanks Bryan! I used the same technique on a Yashica Mat 124 case once, it worked quite well. The Coronet case had been sewn with double thread as well, but as you say that's a bit tricky. I have purchased a set of curved needles for this purpose, it makes the work a bit easier and it's a good investment for little money.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »
And it also makes a more robust stitch. The speedstitch works more like a sewing machine so there is a lot of contact between the threads. Using hand stitching, the threads actually go from top to bottom so it's stronger.
On luxury handbags, all the stitching is done by hand so that they don't come unsewn because of regular wear and tear.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2019, 05:15:44 AM »
Are you going to use waxed yarn or regular cotton yarn?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
Last time I did some leather work I ended up going to an old cobbler and asking for a short length. He looked at the amount I needed, fetched one of his big spools and wrapped a long enough length on a piece of cardboard. He told me he would never use that much red yarn in his life. So I gave him a buck for it....
Still have some left over.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »
Are you going to use waxed yarn or regular cotton yarn?

I'm going to a local shop tomorrow and I think I shall be lucky if they have cotton thread, let alone waxed thread. Last time I was there I looked for wool felt, and all they had was some horrible synthetic felt in garish colours. I ended up buying the real thing from Ireland. Thank God for the Irish!  ;D
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2019, 04:51:52 AM »
Hehe, I hope that you'll find suitable yarn.

I'm not very experienced when it comes to working with leather. The only reason why I thought of waxed yarn was because a while ago I bought some waxed yarn off Amazon to make a couple of camera straps from old leather belts. The waxed yarn worked really well. Fortunately there're a number of useful YouTube videos out there with people who know what they're doing and who explain really well how to DIY. The double sewing technique looks very useful. How was your leather case sewn originally? Do you think it was double-sewn?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
It was probably sewn with a machine in which case it wouldn’t be double sewn.  One source for waxed thread is dental floss.  When I was a poor starving college student studying Geology my cheap hiking boots started falling apart.  I sewed them up with dental floss and they held up really well.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
I must admit that dental floss is surprisingly strong for what it is. Doesn't look quite as good as real leathersmith yarn but it is robust.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »
This case was double sewn. The side panels on this bag are quite thick, so I assume that it would not have been possible to use a machine. How thick is the tread you are using? I would think that a rather thick thread would be better for restitching an old bag. Unfortunately my shopping spree today had to be cancelled, so I'll make another attempt next week.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2019, 09:08:14 PM »
The yarn I got has 3 strands... I don't know what it's called in reality.
Here's a local store that has international delivery
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=76636&cat=1,76639

Also, I don't know if Tandy Leather has stores in your area, but they carry the stuff as regular merchandise.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:15 PM »
I got out yesterday to test the Box Tengor, and I'm quite pleased with the result. But I shot one picture in landscape format, and that one has got motion blur. Must try to steady the box better next time.

Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor / Fomapan 400 in Xtol
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »
Those shots look very good, Kai. I never managed to get anywhere close to your shots in terms of sharpness.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
Ok, so I found a professional supplier of leather paraphernalia in Oslo. Interestingly, the only type of thread they are supplying is linen thread. I ordered three spools of waxed linen thread in different colours plus some needles and a nice sewing "glove". So now to work!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2019, 09:15:26 PM »
You definitely won't regret getting the glove!
I have a speedstitch awl and let me tell you that it sometimes takes all my strength to get it through some materials. With the amount of force and how pointy those needles are, I'm always scared of stabbing myself by accident with them.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »
I don't know what a speedstitch awl is, could it look somewhat like this?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »
It works a bit like that, except that the spool is in a different place.
While it does stitch really fast, the results are not as robust as manual stitching.
The speedstitch just like your hand stitcher imitates the way a sewing machine works. There is a top string and a bottom string that rub against each other in the hole (yikes, that sounds creepy) but never cross to the opposite side, while regular stitches just criss-cross in the hole. Hand stitching is much more solid because of that. If your wife wants to buy a Hermes bag, it will be hand stitched using two needles.

Here is the link to the one I got http://www.speedystitcher.com/
and here's the how it's used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6OatKzjeD0
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »
Went for a short walk this morning to test the Coronet Rex. I had a feeling that the film was not going to be very flat, there was not a lot of resistance when I advanced it. The results are a bit surprising though, sharpest in the middle and fuzzy at the edges. Very soft lens? I shot these in landscape mode which is a bit awkward with these cameras. The shutter release is really designed to work best in portrait mode. 
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26:24 PM »
Yeah, the shutter thing is there for a lot of boxes. One of the worst that I have is an early Kodak. It uses a lever that you push up for one exposure and pull down for the second. When using it in landscape mode, it's not very practical.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2019, 04:07:21 AM »
Ensign 2 1/4B box camera I got a couple months ago is really nice.

It is larger than usual for a 6x9 box camera, which means it is huge. But it's build really well, and the optics are surprisingly good.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2019, 06:36:19 AM »
She shots look fantastic. Do you happen to have a picture of the box? I'm curious what it looks like. :)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »
Not my photo:

Pretty common camera.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »

It only has one aperture, when you pull the handle out it puts the shutter into B mode.  Everything inside and out is in excellent shape, except of course the oxidation on the front  :(.  I went to the estate sale because it had a nice Darkroom in the house, the owner took very good care of everything.  I also got a few items from the Darkroom and a few records that were in excellent condition.  I’ll deffinatelly take some photos with it.

Does the B setting change the aperture? I've had a couple of Ansco camera where setting the shutter to B also slides a smaller aperture into place. It was a patented "readyset" feature, the idea being the smaller aperture made it easier to count off long exposures. If this sounds stupid, just think that the error between 1 and 2 seconds is a lot greater than between 4 and 5 seconds - smaller aperture, longer exposure times, easier counting.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
That's a nice looking apparatus. :)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
That's a nice looking apparatus. :)

It's nice that they went all out with a lens cap and a sports finder. I've had good luck with Ensign box cameras, they're better made and featured than most other brands. I have an "all-distance" from the 30's that has even more features - two focus zones and a built in yellow filter.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2019, 01:36:43 PM »
Cool! A yellow filter is really nice, the Agfa Synchro Box has the same. I'm glad that you like the Ensign, it sounds like a lovely box.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »
You just gotta love it when things are well designed.
So far one of my favorite boxes is an old Coronet twelve-20. I should take it out more.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2019, 06:33:52 PM »
Today I took my Coronet Rex out again after having tightened up the brakes on the film spools. When I wind the film I get a good deal of resistance. I hoped that would fix the focus at the sides, but that didn't work. So I guess this camera is best used for soft portraits or maybe as a Holga substitute.  :P
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2019, 07:33:01 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I love the focus falloff. It's fantastic! :)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2019, 08:04:57 PM »
It has it's charms, yes.  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
I personally don't see any reason to try and fix it.
Don't forget that it probably was designed to do contact prints of the film. In that case the lens needs to be quite bad for it not to produce sharp looking details.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2019, 12:48:00 AM »
The issue with soft edges is not one of film flatness, but of field curvature. And - if you know what you're doing to can exploit it to do "impossible" things with depth of field.

Here's a few examples of what's going on, using a different box camera (Kinoflex):

Saab by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Compare the bottom left of the frame with the top right. See it? That's field curvature in action. The zone of focus moves closer to the camera the further it is from the center of the lens. So really close objects will be in focus if they're in the edges of the frame - meanwhile distant objects, which would be in focus if they were in the center of the frame, will be out of focus at the edge of the frame. Check out the car, and the trees around it - same distance.

And now for the impossible  :D
DOF Madness by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Notice anything weird about the depth of field in this image? Look at the plant in the right foreground. Now look at the ground behind it. Now look at the center of the frame.  :o  This is what happens when the DOF is curved!

In fact the only thing that you can do with the film to counteract this, is curve the film to match. That's why cameras like the Ansco Pioneer have extremely curved film planes.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2019, 02:57:29 AM »

Does the B setting change the aperture? I've had a couple of Ansco camera where setting the shutter to B also slides a smaller aperture into place. It was a patented "readyset" feature, the idea being the smaller aperture made it easier to count off long exposures. If this sounds stupid, just think that the error between 1 and 2 seconds is a lot greater than between 4 and 5 seconds - smaller aperture, longer exposure times, easier counting.

It looks like the same aperture on both settings.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
So if I have understood this correctly Bryan; if I take a picture of a curved wall from inside the curve, then everything should be in focus?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki