Author Topic: Holga vs. Diana  (Read 5233 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Holga vs. Diana
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:59:23 PM »
I've tried the Holga, but I'm wondering--- what are the differences between Holga & Diana? I'm looking for info on the differences in what can do, the look of the images, what you frame through the viewfinder vs what you get on film, (which has made Holga a bit frustrating for me), etc?

Thanks.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Holga vs. Diana
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:12:57 AM »
Diana's cuter.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:44:38 AM »
there is really tons of info on this already...quite a few threads on toycamera.com and in flickr discussions. i just don't feel like typing it all out again. best thing to do is buy both (an original diana, not diana+) and see for yourself! they are very different, really.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:46:04 AM »
"Diana's cuter."

Ahh, so cuter than Holga as well as Camilla.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:48:00 AM by gothamtomato »

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 01:14:16 AM »
Ah! That old chestnut!   ;D
As Sean said - there are a quite a few discussion threads (and a lot of redundancy) on the web site flickr if you have the patience to read through them.
Check this link: http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w=all&q=diana+vs+holga&m=discuss
Be aware that some people join into these discussions with very little practical experience with some of the cameras they are talking about, some may simply be basing their opinions on what they have 'heard' or personal preferences and/or prejudice - not really helpful because many times people will simply say "Go with a Holga" (or not) based on their own personal preferences and little other empirical data or rationale for their choice. Who would have thought little plastic cameras could generate such debate eh?

I am a bit too tired to list all the attributes of both cameras (keep in mind there are many variations of the Holga and the new Diana + cameras are there for consideration too now) so I apologise for the blatant referral to this post of mine on my personal blog: http://www.theplasticlens.com/blog/2008/diana-holga-oranges-apples-horses-courses/

there is really tons of info on this already...quite a few threads on toycamera.com and in flickr discussions. i just don't feel like typing it all out again. best thing to do is buy both (an original diana, not diana+) and see for yourself! they are very different, really.
- I usually agree with Sean except the bit he said about 'not the Diana +' that deserves to be considered as well, no matter what the 'old school stick in the muds' will tell you - perhaps if you had the budget you could get 'em all!!

(with example photos yippee)
 ::)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:21:38 AM by artpunk »
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:36:33 AM »
Artpunk: Thanks for the links & the article. That photo of the horse is beautiful. Is that shot with an original Diana or one of the new ones? The review on the ToyCamera site says the newer ones have no 'sweet spot'. Have you found this too?

I do have a Holga, but I'm not enjoying using it. I get frustrated that I can't compose in the viewfinder because so much more of a scene shows up on the film frame. That's why I was asking if what I see through a Diana viewfinder is closer to what shows up on the film frame.

Currently, my pockets are too shallow to just buy any camera, even a toy one, without doing research to make sure it's closer to what I want.

artpunk

• The Plastic Lens
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 01:52:56 AM »
Artpunk: Thanks for the links & the article. That photo of the horse is beautiful. Is that shot with an original Diana or one of the new ones? The review on the ToyCamera site says the newer ones have no 'sweet spot'. Have you found this too?
The horse photo is taken with a Diana 'plus' - if you click on the photo it should bring up a 'lightbox' window where you can scroll through a few examples photos including a shot from the 'original' Diana 151.
Regarding a 'sweet spot' - well some of the original  Dianas didn't have this hypothetical sweet spot either, as each lens had it's own unique attributes, some more appealing to the toy camera enthusiast than others. With the Diana +, some people think that the manufacturing quality is 'better' with more consistency, perhaps eliminating these "sweet spot' characteristics. The same is also said of the newer Holgas making them 'too sharp' according to some.
In practice however (coming back to the new Diana + lenses) I have found the results from them to be 'consistently inconsistent' and have often been pleasantly surprised (as I was in the Sleeping horse photo) Note that Michael's review on tc.com is simply referring to the one Diana + that he was sent for review, I have noted slightly different attributes in the different Diana + lenses that I have used, but I tend to get them mixed up (as they are removable) so haven't noted if any particular lens gives a predictable result. (I'm a bit random like that)
 :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:00:37 AM by artpunk »
theplasticlens

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »
i have nothing against the diana+, but it's more similar to the holga (without the mask) than the originals are.

the diana shows more in the viewfinder than what shows on the film, the opposite of the holga.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:11:11 PM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

artpunk

• The Plastic Lens
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »
True.
 :)

ummm and also, I think I forgot to put the  ;) next to the 'old school stick in the muds' bit...
 ::)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:22:20 AM by artpunk »
theplasticlens

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 11:59:53 AM »
that's okay, i didn't read what you wrote...too many big words. too many words, actually.  ???
                                                                  - John Waters

artpunk

• The Plastic Lens
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
that's okay, i didn't read what you wrote...too many big words. too many words, actually.  ???
What?! You didn't read what I wrote? Sheeesh! All thos lovingly crafted words so thoughtfully laid out...
(it's OK Sean, I'm not upset, really, I think my reply was for gothamtomato anyhows...)
 :P
theplasticlens

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »
What?! You didn't read what I wrote? Sheeesh! All thos lovingly crafted words so thoughtfully laid out...
(it's OK Sean, I'm not upset, really, I think my reply was for gothamtomato anyhows...)
 :P

And I did read it, and appreciated it!

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »
yeah i already know the difference, so i skimmed. very lightly.  ::)
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
Gothatomato: here's a link to a short article I wrote a while ago for some friends who had just bought Holgas. It addresses some of the usual issues (incl. framing/composing through that viewfinder).

http://edandjacqui.my-expressions.com/archives/423_1098788039/94362

Cameron and Sean are better at this than I so I'll leave you in their capable hands re comparisons, but my final comment would be that Holga and Diana are two very different beasts. I've used both extensively and prefer my Dianas (old ones, I don't have a newer model) for their softness, blur and unpredictability. I have what's now considered an older Holga model, the 120SF, but it's got a sharp lens and is entirely predictable so I tend only to use it at weddings and for portraits where I'm under pain of death from my wife to get a usable photo. For some reason I'm a snob about this issue and think of the Holga as an inferior second cousin, but maybe I should re-think that stance because a significant number of my strongest photos were taken with it.
 ??? ??? ??? ;)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »
Buy a Fujipet instead! See ya. Skj.

Fujipet Review.

artpunk

• The Plastic Lens
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
Buy a Fujipet instead! See ya. Skj.

Fujipet Review.

LOL Skorj  ;D
theplasticlens

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »

LOL Skorj  ;D
[/quote]

Owning all the above, you can of course attest to any merits in any... Perhaps a full summary / review can be written all in one piece. I am sure it would be the most widely read toy camera piece on the internets... Skj.

(Though I do think the fake vignette on the Diana+ is really tacky.)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »
that sounds like a future blog post!
                                                                  - John Waters

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »
I think the Holga would win in a fight hands down. 
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
I think the Holga would win in a fight hands down. 
Though I think hitting somebody with a Holga would just get them P***** off  :D
Besides, you might break the camera  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.