Author Topic: How do you get your work into galleries?  (Read 6406 times)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
How do you get your work into galleries?
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:44:26 AM »
Bit of a stupid question but I've wondered how all our talented filmwasters have gotten their work into shows/galleries? I think it would be really neat to have my work hanging in a gallery somewhere and it'd make me really proud, even if no one wanted to buy it (or if it wasn't for sale). Has anyone gone the route of a portfolio and just bothering the owner of the gallery with their work?  ;D Is it just a case of entering your work into every contest you can find that fits with your work? And how do you find those? I don't see many contests/calls for entries that'd fit my cyanotypes  :-\
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

SuzanneR

• 35mm
    • Suzanne Revy Photography
Re: How do you get your work into galleries?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »
Although, I'm not there yet, and I'm learning as I go... but here are some thoughts.

Texas Photographic Society website is a great resource for call to entry. http://www.texasphoto.org/ and Mary Virginia Swanson's blog, http://marketingphotos.wordpress.com/

Another thing to do, sign up for some regional portfolio review events. We have two each spring in the Boston area at the Griffin Museum and the Photographic Resource center. If nothing else, you will get some good (and some not so good) feedback on your work.

You need to develop a thick skin, and get used to  rejection.

Lastly, I pulled my most recent portfolio together when my local public library offered me a solo show in their gallery. It was time consuming and expensive to get all  the prints ready and framed, but now I have a show that I can "market" to other venues and galleries. So, my show is currently on view at a library two towns down the road, I've juried into a solo show in NYC at the Camera Club in October.. totally shocked about that.. thought it would be the usual rejection!!

And one of the portfolio reviews has landed me a schedule slot this winter at one of the Griffin Museum's galleries.

It's been a lot of hard work over this past year to get it out...  good luck!! (Also.. there is an annual juried show for alternative processes somewhere... soho photo maybe??? )

Suzanne

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:36:41 PM »
Awesome resources but I'm not sure how many I can enter as I live in the UK :) I know some of the US posted stuff tends to be US residents only (at least from past experience of reading fine print).

I think I'm failing horribly at getting used to rejection. I'm good for about a day and then it wears into me.

edit: also this is looking quite expensive for the portfolio reviews. Maybe I don't value other people's opinions *that* much  :-[
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:18:12 PM by Heather »
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »
Heather, I have some snaps in mounts but not framed in a local pottery cafe. The buses from the cruise ships often stop there on the way to 'our' beach . No sales yet but at least they are on the wall. Just went in and asked if they would like some snaps on their wall - for free, then arranged a % age if they sold.

Also have put snaps [Silver prints] into the islands' art show they have every year. Lots of things usually entered from well known painters like Willie Fulton and Ivor Mackay and some photos including my three. Sold them all :-) I'm lucky to be on this lovely island tho - and dong some somewhat different work to the usual digi-high-saturation beach images that are the usual fare.

Then managed to get offered a little show in Feb 09 in the Arts Centre [An Lanntair] after giving a print to one of the girls who work there. I happened to see her at The Horse Show with her piebald, took a snap of her [I think I showed it here], printed with split contrast, part diffused and sepia toned . Muriel, for that is her name, then found my work on Flickr and asked me to show some prints. So, I have merrily printing like mad at the moment. 4 down, 10 to go :-)

My advice is, keep showing them and believe in what you do.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »
edit: also this is looking quite expensive for the portfolio reviews. Maybe I don't value other people's opinions *that* much  :-[

There are a few free (or very cheap) ones around.  Redeye in Manchester, Pavilion in Leeds, and Impressions in Bradford all run events for instance, and I'm sure there are plenty more around the country.  They're not in the same league as Rhubarb or any of the US reviews, but definitely a really good place to start.

SuzanneR

• 35mm
    • Suzanne Revy Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »
Oops, sorry to be US centric, Heather... I know you're in London.

There is an online portfolio review that will be opening for registration soon called Critical Mass, and I don't think it's only for U.S. photographers, but I haven't found anything about "who" may of may not apply. And yes, portfolio reviews can be expensive, but so can entering juried shows. I think you will get more "bang for your buck" at a portfolio review than submitting to too many competitions. I've pretty much only stuck with local reviews.

http://photolucidapdx.blogspot.com/

BTW, rejection can be very difficult... I've come to the point where I try not to get too disappointed when I don't jury into something, and at the same time... I don't get too over the moon elated when I do!! Try to keep things on an even keel... or I'd be am emotional wreck!!  :( ;D :'( ;D
Suzanne

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »
David B - Wow, the RedEye site is great! I'm in London tho so I'm not sure if I'd be able to get up to Manchester for a portfolio review. But their website is the best thing I've read in a while about this sort of thing. Thank you for mentioning it. I've never heard of it before.

I think I might go for a more relaxed approach after reading lots.
Heather
ooh shiny things!

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
It's www.redeye.org.uk for anyone else who might like a gander.  They're pretty much a fixed part of the photo scenery here in Manchester ... I'm not sure if there are similar organisations elsewhere in the UK?

The first review of theirs I went to was a real nightmare though - I'm still actively annoyed about it several years later!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »
I think I'm failing horribly at getting used to rejection. I'm good for about a day and then it wears into me.
I know this might sound simplistic but the easiest way to get your images into a gallery without facing rejection would be to start your own gallery :)

OK, not the greatest way but it worked for a few painters in my Province...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 11:35:40 PM »
I know this might sound simplistic but the easiest way to get your images into a gallery without facing rejection would be to start your own gallery :)

OK, not the greatest way but it worked for a few painters in my Province...

I barely have the money to pay other people to look at my portfolio... tho having said that, the prices for someone reviewing my portfolio, i could hire out the local gallery space which is not small. I think I will basically bother anywhere and everywhere local for just bits and pieces of space here and there.
Heather
ooh shiny things!

HolgaJen

• My Flickr Album
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
Great question - it's also something I've been wondering about lately!  I do realize its an expensive endeavour though, so I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and start working harder.

One of my problems is deciding which, if any, of my photos are worth displaying, or which ones would interest the majority.  I guess the portfolio review would be a good way to get feedback.

Do portfolios usually have a theme or is it ok/better to use a variety of images?

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
Do portfolios usually have a theme or is it ok/better to use a variety of images?

Depends what you're trying to get out of it - i.e. if you're approaching someone about editorial work or stock then you'd probably want a wide selection.  But, generally, if you're looking for gallery representation or a book or a show then the usual thing is to present work in distinct series.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »
I barely have the money to pay other people to look at my portfolio... tho having said that, the prices for someone reviewing my portfolio, i could hire out the local gallery space which is not small. I think I will basically bother anywhere and everywhere local for just bits and pieces of space here and there.
I don't know if it's the case in the UK but public libraries often have exhibition spaces which are free. They usually do a free call for entries once a year where you are asked to submit a portfolio. If they like what they see, you get the showing space. And if you don't have enough work to fill the space, they organize a joint expo. They do the publicity, you do the inauguration (wine and cheese if you want to).

At the place where I used to work, the artist had to attend the inauguration and a public meeting to explain their work.

There are also some artist run centers, but they ask to be a member most of the time.

Calling local city halls might be a first step. Once you have some shows in your portfolio, it might make things easier when comes the time to try your luck at commercial galleries.
Francois

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 05:12:44 AM »
Work, work, and more work.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 02:26:37 PM »
Work, work, and more work.
But I should add: work smarter, not harder.
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »
Hi Heather - my first exhibition was gained through me contacting the local authority (your borough council) arts and libraries officer to see if they'd consider allowing me some space in a library.  Thankfully they said yes and the rest was plain sailing.  they didnt charge for the use of the space, and only a tiny commission on anything sold.  It all worked out very well.  Worth a try.  there was some talk of a filmwasters exhibition at one point a while ago .... if anyone wants to take up the mantle it might be a good idea .........

Any other shows I've had or been in have been through persistence lugging my portfolio around, although I havent had much success this way, I've had a few positive responses. 
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
The good thing with showing at municipality run places is that more people will get to see your work than at commercial galleries. The people who run the commercial places often commented to me that they usually see the same crowd over and over. "Normal" people are intimidated by such places and not all visitors are buyers.

While the prices in public showing spaces are usually much lower than at commercial galleries. Since more people see your work there, you probably run a better chance of making a few sales.
Francois

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »
I suppose I can do the local library route. There is also the artsdepot near by that actually has in its FAQ about asking to exhibit work (! wow a question I have actually on an FAQ, I'm shocked) which gives a few options (asking the coordinator, renting out a week in September which I'm too late for, renting out a wall for a month for ?100)  besides the being nice to the library people :)  I just have to get something put together, I think. Do you arrange the work for the window at the library or do you let the staff do it for you? I've only done one window-type gallery of my work in high school and it was a wide variety of stuff.
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »
When I went to a seminar on art careers, the speaker told us that those "pay to exhibit" places don't look good on a resume (a.k.a. won't get you nowhere). Gallery owners tend to like it better when you go to places which are maybe free but who also take a look at your book. It's the same for collectors.

Where I used to work, the artist and a staff member would put up the exhibit together. I must admit the room was HUGE (made an 8x10 look like a stamp on the wall).

I would save my money for nice frames (check out Ikea, they're probably the best deal in the business) instead of wasting it on renting a space.
Francois

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »
I would save my money for nice frames (check out Ikea, they're probably the best deal in the business)...

Be very careful with Ikea frames.  I did a travelling show a few years ago, and went for Ikea wooden frames thinking they'd be the best bet on a very tight budget, and it was a decision I constantly rued for the next few months.  The construction was a bit shoddy and they didn't hold up at all well when being moved, several had finish defects that weren't visible in the packaging, the wood was very variable so there were a lot of problems attaching mirror plates, and the edges of the glass weren't properly sealed, so even with gloves I ended up cutting my hands a few times.

After that experience I looked around and found a local frame builder who was able to custom-make frames to my exact specifications, from a sustainable wood source, for LESS per unit than the Ikea frames.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 03:01:18 PM »
Do you arrange the work for the window at the library or do you let the staff do it for you?

Heather - I cant vouch for your borough, but KCC libraries left the whole thing up to me, other than their staff taking the print orders.  the show was free and for 4 weeks. A good deal all round really.
L.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
Ah, thanks Leon. I doubt my local library would take print orders; it'd probably be down to me to recieve phone calls/emails on the matter. They seem to be trying to get rid of all staff in my local library.... they got rid of the checkout desk and replaced it with computers on glowing blue pedestles and the few staff desks left never have anyone behind them :(

I doubt I'd do ikea frames because they seem to mostly come in A4 size instead of 8x10" size. That alone drives me bonkers when I look there. Plus there's a nice framing shop nearby that is probably not too costly and does a nice job. They had a special offer last year of bring in your print and pick out a frame on the shelf and they'll do the matting/mounting for free and they did a very nice job (awesome easy christmas gift!) in 2-3 working days. They properly sealed up the back and put string on the back to hang it but it also had the swing out leg on the back so you can sit it on a table. It looked very impressive and modern... too bad that looks slightly out of place at my sister-in-law's house against all the other professional photos of her kids in those silly lumpy gold frames. It was worth it anyway because she didn't recognise her own baby in the photo  ;D
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »
If you put everything up yourself, here are a few tricks:

Get yourself some self adhesive red dots to indicate which prints are sold (we did that at the gallery). You just stick them on the description label you put next to the print.

Also get some white business card stock. It's just the right size to put print information and stick it on the wall using double sided tape. Also, if you go to the Avery website, they have the free Avery Wizard software which will automatically make the cards for you in Word (10 per page).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:58:39 PM by Francois »
Francois

Nicole BM

• Nicole Boenig-McGrade
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
Heather I agree with the comments regarding finding locations to exhibit without paying a fee. I have not paid a fee to have an exhibition anywhere and the suggestion of local libraries and councils is a very good one. If you ring your council they should also be able to forward you a list of all local public and private places that exhibit artwork of any type. It takes time and a lot of legwork and phone calls, but worth the effort.
Good luck!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »
I know some local pubs and restaurants also allow artist to show off their work for free. But I think you run a much greater chance of having your work damaged there.
Francois