Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842797 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2750 on: January 13, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
Hit the jackpot at an estate sale today.  Seven rolls of expired 120 film, two 110 cartridges, enough flash bulbs to last a while, the micro cam 110, a Soligor reversal ring for Pentax M42 and OM, a Sekonic Leader L-VI light meter.  The  Micro Cam 110 is still in the package, probably because it wasn't worth opening.  It has a pop-out coin holder and a key chain attached so its very convenient.  I'm sure it takes wonderful pictures with it's "sharp color corrected f/8 lens.    I will be opening it and I will shoot a roll.  The Sekonic light meter responds well to light plus it's nice and small.  Some of the 120 film dates back to 1972 and some expired in 1981.  I've never heard of Lumipan film before but it was made in Germany. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2751 on: January 13, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »
There just aren't enough cameras with coin holders!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2752 on: January 14, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
....... a Voskhod from GOMZ-LOMO. Originally released in 1964, this particular model was produced in 1966 to -68. Since it is not a rangefinder I also purchased a LOMO BLIK external rangefinder which you can see attached to the flash shoe. I've succumbed to my weakness for communist cameras, expect to see more in the coming weeks.........  :P
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2753 on: January 14, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
That Voskhod looks pretty cool. I've got one of those little rangefinders as well, I use it with my Smena 8M which despite being very plastic has a surprisingly good lens.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2754 on: January 15, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
The lens on the Voskhod is reportedly not very good compared to the rest of the camera. We shall see once I get to shoot the first roll. The Voskhod is one of the more uncommon Sovjet cameras, they only made around 60.000 of these. In comparison they made more than 21 millons of the Smena 8 / 8M.  :o
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2755 on: January 16, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
.......... another nice communist camera, a Zorki 10. Originally released in 1964, this particular model was produced between '67 and '71. It is working, but the accuracy of the selenium meter is rather doubtful. But I have a cunning plan. I will shoot a 100 ISO test film with 4 frames on every ISO setting from 20 to 320 and see which is best. If none are good, then I'm in trouble............  :o
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2756 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »
I love this thread!   8)

I just picked up a sweet little Olympus Infinty 3.5 from a fellow Filmwaster since he had one already and found the one he gave to me at a thrift store for a dollar.
It's the 3.5 lens model, and just like the Epic model, the flash and settings reset to default each time the clamshell is closed.
I don't find that a big problem since a quick double push of the flash button will turn it off and then you're ready to go. It's easy in the hand and in great shape, plus it's already been film tested so it's ready for adventure!

Much has been written about these small compacts, and I'm looking forward to using mine on an upcoming train trip to Northern new Mexico and then into Colorado.
The small size is ideal for travel and easy to keep in a pocket!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:50:44 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2757 on: January 17, 2017, 09:58:47 PM »
These are the first evolution of the XA series. Designed by the same guy too.
I have one I have yet to use.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2758 on: January 17, 2017, 11:28:25 PM »

You should shoot it so we can compare! Would be fun!

Right now it's loaded with Delta 100 ( bulk loaded) so I hope it does indeed default to 100 ISO when there is no markings on the film can...

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2759 on: January 18, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »
I love this thread!   8)

I just picked up a sweet little Olympus Infinty 3.5 from a fellow Filmwaster since he had one already and found the one he gave to me at a thrift store for a dollar.
It's the 3.5 lens model, and just like the Epic model, the flash and settings reset to default each time the clamshell is closed.
I don't find that a big problem since a quick double push of the flash button will turn it off and then you're ready to go. It's easy in the hand and in great shape, plus it's already been film tested so it's ready for adventure!

Much has been written about these small compacts, and I'm looking forward to using mine on an upcoming train trip to Northern new Mexico and then into Colorado.
The small size is ideal for travel and easy to keep in a pocket!

That´s a serious little pice of machinery you got there, it really punches above it´s weight.
Congrats and have a nice trip! 
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #2760 on: January 18, 2017, 06:25:27 PM »
Wandering around Porto last week, I discovered—to my delight and my wife's consternation—that there are several shops in the center of the city that specialize in analogue photography.  Three or four had large inventories of used gear.  I picked up this beauty at a place called Sitio do Cano Amarelo.  Over a period of three hours, the owner and his helpers kept producing various examples of range-finder Yashicas, swapping out parts and outfitting the cameras with batteries (requiring a quick trip to the Loja Chinese by one of the helpers), until we found a working model Electro 35 with clean optics, at a price I was willing to pay.  When I get home next week, I will develop the many rolls I have put through it on the streets of Porto and Lisboa to find out if it really does work at spec.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying using my latest acquisition.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #2761 on: January 18, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
Good purchase Blanton.

Could you please give indications to these shops? I use to travel to Porto and Lisbon and never figured out that in these days someone was interested in repairing cameras, and it is great to know they're still on the battle. I'd like to come along, if I have time.

Thanks in advance.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #2762 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »
Good purchase Blanton.

Could you please give indications to these shops? I use to travel to Porto and Lisbon and never figured out that in these days someone was interested in repairing cameras, and it is great to know they're still on the battle. I'd like to come along, if I have time.

Thanks in advance.

MacArron,

These are the shops I visited last week.  Most have websites.  Nuno at Sitio do Cano Amarelo has to be one of the most patient persons that I have ever met.  He also has a huge inventory of used gear.  Raul at Cameras & Compania has the largest collection in Porto of high-end classic cameras for sale and in his "museum" on-site.  (For darkroom also, Raul is, by far, the best source.)  AFF -Material Fotografico is run by two lovely women who are also very tough bagainers.  I found their selection and prices for film to be the most competitive.  Colorfoto has a little of everything, analogue (including darkroom supplies), but mostly deals in the digital realm. 

Cameras & Compania
Rua dos Mártires da Liberdade 77
4050 Porto
‭220 935 471‬ (Raul)

Máquinas de Outros Tempos artigos fotográficos e Cinematográficos vintage
Rua dos Mártires da Liberdade 154
4050-359 Porto
914 845 695

Sitio do Cano Amarelo
Rua do Heroísmo 171 e 171 B
4300-258 Porto
931 629 630 | 223 295 804 (Nuno)

Colorfoto
Rua de Sá da Bandeira 526
4000 Porto
91 986 86 68 (mobile)

AFF -Material Fotografico
Rua do Bonjardim 142
4000 Porto
‭222 087 426‬
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2763 on: January 18, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
MacArron,

These are the shops I visited last week.  Most have websites.  Nuno at Sitio do Cano Amarelo has to be one of the most patient persons that I have ever met.  He also has a huge inventory of used gear.  Raul at Cameras & Compania has the largest collection in Porto of high-end classic cameras for sale and in his "museum" on-site.  (For darkroom also, Raul is, by far, the best source.)  AFF -Material Fotografico is run by two lovely women who are also very tough bagainers.  I found their selection and prices for film to be the most competitive.  Colorfoto has a little of everything, analogue (including darkroom supplies), but mostly deals in the digital realm. 

Cameras & Compania
Rua dos Mártires da Liberdade 77
4050 Porto
‭220 935 471‬ (Raul)

Máquinas de Outros Tempos artigos fotográficos e Cinematográficos vintage
Rua dos Mártires da Liberdade 154
4050-359 Porto
914 845 695

Sitio do Cano Amarelo
Rua do Heroísmo 171 e 171 B
4300-258 Porto
931 629 630 | 223 295 804 (Nuno)

Colorfoto
Rua de Sá da Bandeira 526
4000 Porto
91 986 86 68 (mobile)

AFF -Material Fotografico
Rua do Bonjardim 142
4000 Porto
‭222 087 426‬

Could we perhaps put this post in the "resources" forum?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2764 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »

You should shoot it so we can compare! Would be fun!

Right now it's loaded with Delta 100 ( bulk loaded) so I hope it does indeed default to 100 ISO when there is no markings on the film can...
I just checked the instruction book on the Olympus website (yes, they still have it available for everyone to download!) and you're in luck, the camera does default to 100 ISO.

I just checked my stockpile of film and I don't have anything in either short rolls or 100 ISO. I got a couple of spools of 400, but only plastic cassettes. I still have two rolls of Plus-x but they're both 36 exp. I don't want to use those precious rolls on an untested camera...
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2765 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »
Wow! An all black Yashica GTN, that's one of the more coveted models being all black.    8)
I have had a few of them and must say they have sharp lenses and quick too!

I no longer have any of mine, since sending them all to Mark Hama for trade in doing a rebuild of my Yashica 124G.

MacArron

• Wasting film...
I just picked up...
« Reply #2766 on: January 18, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
Oh. They sound really interesting. I really appreciate your effort in not only giving the basic details but also your personal feelings and even a bit more.

Thank you very much.

I can't wait for a new business trip to Porto ;)
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2767 on: January 21, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »
oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
boxes by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2768 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
There are loads of these for sale on this side of the pond as well, if you would like some more..............  ;D
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2769 on: January 22, 2017, 12:24:21 AM »
This purty lens just arrived.

I won it in a photo editing contest (the details of which would not be terribly appropriate here) over on RFF. It's quite a lovely lump.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2770 on: January 22, 2017, 12:47:54 AM »
I went into a charity shop. There was one of these, unused in its box for £10. There is still a sachet of silica gel inside.

I will have some fun with it tomorrow.

https://shop.lomography.com/en/fisheye-no-2

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2771 on: January 22, 2017, 01:11:11 AM »
This purty lens just arrived.

Oh man, an 85 f/2. If by some miracle a Pentax K-mount version fell into my lap, I'm pretty sure I'd use it all the time.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2772 on: January 22, 2017, 06:18:21 AM »
There are loads of these for sale on this side of the pond as well, if you would like some more..............  ;D

I've been wanting an Ensign box camera for a while but when they come up for sale here in the U.S. the prices are usually ridiculous.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2773 on: January 23, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
............ a small heap of fun! 84 rolls of assorted 135 / 120 films + 3 packs of Fuji pola 100 film and 2 packs of 4x5 slide film. They are all expired but have been kept refrigerated. Average price per roll / pack: 2 pounds.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2774 on: January 23, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
I also scored a heap of expired film! A whopping 53 rolls of Ektachrome 100HC, my fourth-favorite Ektachrome emulsion (after VS, SW, and 50HC), and 2 rolls of 100X, which I've never heard of before. All for $100! Assuming these 100HCs weren't "stored in a desert", this should keep me happy for a year :D I could even do a 52 week project with it :)

Of course, if they DO turn out to be "stored on a desert", then James get ready for a big package! :o

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2775 on: January 24, 2017, 12:21:48 AM »
<$2/roll! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2776 on: January 24, 2017, 10:24:54 AM »
............ a small heap of fun! 84 rolls of assorted 135 / 120 films + 3 packs of Fuji pola 100 film and 2 packs of 4x5 slide film. They are all expired but have been kept refrigerated. Average price per roll / pack: 2 pounds.

Hahaha, so that´s where it ended up!? I was tempted but I managed to do the sensible thing.
The APX 25, it´s amazing!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2777 on: January 24, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »

Hahaha, so that´s where it ended up!? I was tempted but I managed to do the sensible thing.
The APX 25, it´s amazing!

Yeah, I was surprised you hadn't picked them up, they had already been out for one hour when I spotted them (serves me right for watching a silly antique show on Swedish Television). Perhaps we should pool our resources in monitoring this auction site and divide the spoils afterwards? "Dirt Cheap Expired Films Ltd".  :P
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2778 on: January 24, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »

Yeah, I was surprised you hadn't picked them up, they had already been out for one hour when I spotted them (serves me right for watching a silly antique show on Swedish Television). Perhaps we should pool our resources in monitoring this auction site and divide the spoils afterwards? "Dirt Cheap Expired Films Ltd".  :P

Yes, that site really screws up my work flow at times =) Glad you managed to secure it.
Was offered Kodak Gold 200 36 @ $1 per roll if I buy the lot.  He has something like 300 rolls, stored in dark cool place as they say. Let me know =) I don´t need more c-41 as per now.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2779 on: January 24, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
Managed to grab 200' of cold-stored Ektachrome. 100' of my beloved slide dupe and 100' of the more standard 64D. Total output was $23.25.
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2780 on: January 24, 2017, 05:21:39 PM »

Perhaps we should pool our resources in monitoring this auction site and divide the spoils afterwards? "Dirt Cheap Expired Films Ltd".  :P

I'm in!! ;D

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2781 on: January 24, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »
...Perhaps we should pool our resources in monitoring this auction site and divide the spoils afterwards? "Dirt Cheap Expired Films Ltd".  :P

You kid, but I know I'd be in, too.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2782 on: January 27, 2017, 09:24:22 PM »
......... another addition to my collection of communist cameras, a Lomo 135BC. They were made between '75 and '82 and are very compact. Maybe an answer to the Rollei 35, although I expect the Industar 73 lens it not of Zeiss quality. But this camera has something the Rollei has not, which is spring drive. When fully wound you can shoot 8 frames with automatic winding. Going out tomorrow to test it......
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2783 on: February 05, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
An insurance claim form. On holiday and they took my carry-on bag (re-purposed as a get-away carry), phone, wife's computer, cash and my travel Leica. But at least they left me my passport.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2784 on: February 05, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
Bad luck. At least they are replaceable. Hope you didn't miss too many pictures.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2785 on: February 06, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Hi Chris

It was only a baby travel one - not a 'proper' M or anything like that. But the annoying thing was it had photos of an on-going project in it. Of course, being a true FW, I had a few other cameras with me, so the project didn't stop - it just has a hole in the middle of it.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2786 on: February 12, 2017, 05:05:35 AM »
Maybe not totally appropriate for this forum but it does have to do with wasting film.  I have been lusting for one of these projectors for some time now, finally got one.  Just ordered a new set of belts to get it running. 

Zeiss Ikon Movilux 8A by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #2787 on: February 12, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
Haven't been posting on here for a few years ....
Obtained a Fujifilm GW690iii a few days ago, not exactly a bargain what what a chunk of a camera!
Surprisingly easy to operate, no batteries, no metering (I have an iPhone app) - but get used to only 8 frames! Just completed a couple of rolls to see whether the camera works ok. One in-date TMAX 400 and one Fujifilm 400 CN B&W, dated 2005. Still one roll left, used that one in 2013 last when it came out well using my Bronica ETRS. I am not doing any dev these days so I will be a while before I ca post some pics.
For now just a snapshot of the camera itself - I call it "the beast".

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2788 on: February 12, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »
Klaus, that is a very nice "beast"! A 6x9 camera in that size is quite tempting, although I would probably go for the 6x8 variety (GW680III) as the 6x9 is a bit too wide for my taste. That would probably get me one extra frame per roll as well! ;D  My only 6x9 alternative for the moment is the Polaroid 600SE which is not exactly lightweight. Looking forward to seeing the shots you've taken, the Fuji lenses are usually quite good.

I have recently taken a liking to macro lenses, this is my latest acquisition; a Yashica ML 100mm f3.5, shown here attached to my Contax RX. It is said to be equally sharp as the Zeiss 100mm macro, and at less than half the price.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2789 on: February 12, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »
I can vouch for yashica lenses. My first camera was a yashica and I still have that lovely 50mm f/1.7 that came with it (and is now on another body)
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2790 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
Haven't been posting on here for a few years ....
Obtained a Fujifilm GW690iii a few days ago, not exactly a bargain what what a chunk of a camera!
Surprisingly easy to operate, no batteries, no metering (I have an iPhone app) - but get used to only 8 frames! Just completed a couple of rolls to see whether the camera works ok. One in-date TMAX 400 and one Fujifilm 400 CN B&W, dated 2005. Still one roll left, used that one in 2013 last when it came out well using my Bronica ETRS. I am not doing any dev these days so I will be a while before I ca post some pics.
For now just a snapshot of the camera itself - I call it "the beast".

Great camera; more commonly known as the "Texas Leica".  I used to own one but found it a bit too big as a walkabout camera. Superb lens.  Make sure you post the results.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2791 on: February 14, 2017, 12:32:40 AM »
My backer package from the Cinestill Indiegogo campaign arrived today. Seven rolls, even though I think the original backing was for five, of Cinestill 120 800T, a plastic five roll holder, some stickers and a t-shirt. Looking forward to shooting it.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2792 on: February 14, 2017, 12:49:55 AM »
and a t-shirt. Looking forward to shooting it.

Going for that "tshirt with shotgun holes" look? ;)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2793 on: February 14, 2017, 01:11:11 AM »

Think I can pull off that look?

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2794 on: February 14, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »

Think I can pull off that look?
I'm starting to wonder that myself! soon one of the holes will be big enough to put my head through :P

I'm thinking about cutting off the front and stitching it on the back on a jacket. I guess we have a few guys here on the forums that have done stuff like that before?  8) I was always more of a patches and studs guy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:34:15 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2795 on: February 14, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »
picked up a new fangled F100 with a 50 1.8d

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2796 on: February 14, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »

The truck or the camera?  ???

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2797 on: February 14, 2017, 03:49:54 PM »

The truck or the camera?  ???

Maybe the truck with a small, prime lens in the back!  :D
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #2798 on: February 14, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »
Zeiss Ikon Movilux 8A by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr
What a beautiful machine and a great picture.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2799 on: February 14, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
What a beautiful machine and a great picture.

Thanks Reinhold, I'm a sucker for a beautiful well built projector.  The photo was a lighting exercise, I've done it with digital a few times but not much with film.